Top Fuel Economy Mods - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
TundraTalk.net now has a Photo Gallery available to all users. Upload your photos today!
Toyota Tundra Header Background Toyota Tundra Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

Go Back   TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Performance Modifications
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Gameroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

TundraTalk.net is the premier Toyota Tundra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

Nothing helps these trucks, either drive it or dump it.

Sent From Droid Thunderbolt Via AutoGuide
2010 5.7 DC 4x4 LB W/T Injen CAI, Unichip, Nfab wheel to wheel 6 step, Bilstein HD shocks, Spintech Sportsman XL muffler, Jegs H-Pipe, Amsoil Signature 0w-30, Truck Covers USA Roll Cover,4.88 Nitro gears, Auburn Pro LSD, Supersprings SSA4, TRD sway bar, 275/70/18 Toyo Open Country A/T E rated.
Bill3508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
"The Antagonizer"
Premium Member

Thanked 20,668 Times in 7,545 Posts
Garage
Volant or aFe Stage 2 cold air intake and a Cat-back exhaust should help you some, but at most you'll get maybe 2 mpg which is better then what you're getting right now. I wouldn't go with K&N personally because I've heard nothing but bad things about them. The Volant and aFe Stage 2 cai's are the best out for our Tundra's right now.

"Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue The other ones got a rattlesnake with a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave"

https://www.facebook.com/Bigblacktundra
BTCM46
TWACCM113
JOSH 5.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JOSH 5.7 For This Useful Post:
danalo1979 (04-06-2011)
Old 04-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

tires are what i have seen helped the most..
i have 2 sets.. one has bfg's 31" (285-70-18s?)
than other set have slightly smaller than the michelins that came stock wit the truck
but than again i have headers, catback, and intake.. i do have unichip but thats been sleeping for like 2yrs or so meow
that1seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSH 5.7 View Post
Volant or aFe Stage 2 cold air intake and a Cat-back exhaust should help you some, but at most you'll get maybe 2 mpg which is better then what you're getting right now. I wouldn't go with K&N personally because I've heard nothing but bad things about them. The Volant and aFe Stage 2 cai's are the best out for our Tundra's right now.
+1 What he said. ^

I dropped a volant in a nd instantly gained 2mpg...unfortunately it sounded so cool to hit the gas pedal I end up loosing anything gained.

Seriously though. I get 15.5 local and 17.1 hwy with the volant. results will vary but the best advice is to keep the RPMs below 2k....thats about it.

2009 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L 4x4 SR5 TRD in Pyrite Mica
Tundra owner since May '09
ripcord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ripcord For This Useful Post:
danalo1979 (04-06-2011)
Old 04-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

The best thing you can do is leave it alone. I put the TRD CAI & the TRD exhaust system on mine and the mileage just went backwards. Before everyone chimes in saying I run it harder..."I DON'T" My driving habits have remained the same as before but the mileage dropped. Just my experience. I'm sure others will have differing results...
ncgrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #21 (permalink)

To understand gas mileage you have to understand how engines operate as well as aerodynamics.

How do power adders work? Why does exhaust and intake help your mileage (theoretically with a tune) They make your engine run more efficiently. The more air you can cram into the engine every stroke the more powerful the explosion, the faster you go. CAI - Forced Induction work on this principle.

Exhaust allows the spent gases escape faster, people who get exhausts just for the sound are dumb, if you want gains in power and MPG get something as straight through as possible. When the spent air fuel leaves the cylinder it is very hot, helping this leave the engine faster also helps.

Weight is one of the biggest reasons people get crappy gas mileage. Today with erroneous often nonsensical government regulations cars are outfitted with all manner of extra equipment that weights hundreds of extra pounds. The old drag racing rule of thumb is for ever 100lbs lost is .1 in the quarter. Which translates roughly into the equivalent of 10hp. So losing the most weight possible should be a top priority. I've removed my spare tire, jack, exhaust after the muffler and probably saved 100lbs.

Bigger tires also suck down gas, the heavier and larger the rims and tires the more the rotational mass, the more rotational mass the more power needed to spin them. Think about it on a large scale, is it easier for you to spin a skateboard wheel, or a tractor tire?

But the number 1 ultimate gas saving tip is learn how to drive. Why do I get an average of 18mpg, even though I have a toolbox and bed full of several hundred pounds of crap and even though my truck sits idling for probably an hour per day? Because I don't accelerate quickly and I coast up to stop signs and red lights whenever possible. Typically unless I'm in a serious rush I rarely get above 2k RPM's. I still accelerate at the same rate is 95% of traffic and I save gas.

Put your cruise on when your on the interstate, keep your tires at the highest PSI allowable. Run synthetic oil (no need to change more than every 10k miles), run all synthetic fluid, sea foam your engine every year, change your plugs every 100k miles, don't run your A/C if you don't need it, don't roll your windows down, change your cabin air filter.

The best I think someone in a relatively stock 4x4 5.7 CrewMax can hope for is low 20's and thats pure highway driving if it's city the best you can hope for is probably 17.

Good luck.
Stock Muffler Dumped Before Rear Axle
Cutouts
NordicMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:11 PM   #22 (permalink)

Thanked 7,717 Times in 3,734 Posts
yea, as someone earlier stated, i had a chevy2500hd, 6.0, was an 03, bought it with about 13k on it, i got 10 in winter and 13 in summer MAX, thats it, had 4.10's. at first had the 245 tires on it, they were tiny and still got crap for mpg, i switched to 285 ( 33's) on the factory wheels, and mpg honestly didnt change, kinda just balanced out. now i did drive however i felt like, just like i drive tunder, in chev best ever was 17highway, quad in back, followed a dodge ram for about 100 miles, stuck to it like flies on poo, they got off and were staring at me, i figured they were haulin, i was gonna follow..., but i may have goofed on math when i filled, never figured out how that happened.

now, tunder, i had been getting about 12.5-12.7 ish, i haven't calculated since last fall, haven't really driven it at all in winter, and so far its still winter out, dont drive enough to justify filling it, or calculating when i fuel it up.... gimme a few weeks and ill figure out what im gettin, but it will be only gettin 1/2 use, my car simply gets better mpg.

AFE made the trd cai for fj, and im pretty sure they make the tundra's too, but it is a lil different design and has the a/f cloggometer which is useless to me.

and as true as a more free flowing exhaust does help, it can also hurt tq down low, and also too large of pipe diameter can affect scavenging effect and hurt all around. heat wrap does help when you are running huge diameter pipes, the hotter gasses escape faster instead of cooling down, thus turning more dense and slowing... really.

tonneau, im iffy on this, i have one now, and mpg hasn't changed, then again, i also haven't really driven enough to say.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter

KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...

2010 CM RW, blacked out, Led's,Hid's bhlm, 315/60r18 Grabber's, XD wheels, Aero turbine exhaust, more than meets the eye.

I like weapons.
I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
Powertechn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #23 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSH 5.7 View Post
Volant it is.... I keep hearing good things about this brand. Thank you gentlemen!!!

5.7 Liter Flex Fuel
TRD Shift Knob Add
XM w/ 6 disc CD changer
Chrome Billet Grill
Upgraded Nerf Bars
Sprayed bedliner
Back up Camera
Info System
BBS Aluminum Rims 20"
Michelin Pro Tour 305 series (Quiet Ride) Tires

danalo1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #24 (permalink)
"The Antagonizer"
Premium Member

Thanked 20,668 Times in 7,545 Posts
Garage
No problem!

"Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue The other ones got a rattlesnake with a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave"

https://www.facebook.com/Bigblacktundra
BTCM46
TWACCM113
JOSH 5.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danalo1979 View Post
If I could just get an increase of 3-5 mpg I would be happy.
You need to realize that you are trying to get about a 30% - 33% increase in gas mileage. If you use a good round number of 15MPG then +5MPG is 1/3 increase. If you use 15MPG then +3MPG is 20%. Using 20MPG (HA! but lets go with it.) then +5MPG is a 25% increase whereas a +3MPG is 15%.

As you can see, being able to squeeze those numbers out of our Tundras would be quite impressive. Dont get me wrong. Go for it. Maybe there is a way to greatly increase our MPGs. However, do be aware of what you're working with.

PS I am aware that some people can achieve 20+ MPG in our Tundras. However, if you look at the details, this is a very rare event. Similar to those who get sub 10MPG.
SalsaCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:55 AM   #26 (permalink)
ger

i went up 1-2 mpg by using better gas , i use non ethinol based gas now , i dont know if i am saving any money as it is a bit more
ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #27 (permalink)

Drive slower... seriously.

Just as an experiment, I changed my cruise speed from ~65 to 55 on the highway. I'm on the highway 90% of the time. I went from ~14 to near 18 just by slowing down. I've run 8 tanks of gas through it now switching between 65 and 55 on each tank to see and I get the same results every time. This is on a completely stock 2010 RW.
2014 - Ford Focus (the commuter)
2001 - 35' Class C RV, toy hauler (the tank)
Flite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:49 PM   #28 (permalink)

I commute about 500 miles a week, 95% highway with a 4000 ft elevation change and 9% grades in a few places. When I use to use my cruise control most of the way, and go slightly over the speed limit (no more than 5 mph over), I would get 16.5-17 mpg.

I changed my driving habits: Now I don't go over the speed limit, I slow down on hills, and don't pass people aggressively. Also when I accelerate, the engine rarely goes above 2000 rpm. After these changes I now get 19-19.7 mpg on my commute. When I drive exclusively city I get 13.5-14 mpg. My truck is a mostly stock 4x4 Crewmax 5.7 with stock tire size (275/65R18), I have removed the carbon filter in the intake and use Royal Purple 5w20.
Custom exhaust with Flowmaster Super 44
Michellin LTX AT2 LT275/70R18
Cleaned and painted frame and underbody
OE TRD Bilstein coil overs and rear shocks
Leer 100XQ shell
Tow mirrors
mr_slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:21 AM   #29 (permalink)

I get better gas mileage out of my truck than my wife does due to driving habits. I'm not as aggressive on and off the throttle as she is.
Volant CAI
Unichip w/ Hesco Tune

toy94x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #30 (permalink)

I second the driving habits suggestion. I have noticed that if I drop to 65 on the highway and set the cruise I am getting noticeably better. The average (according to the computer on the dash) reads 14.5 from 12.5. Also summertime gas mpg is better than winter. The cold air/winter gas is horrible on my truck. I have a 07 Crewmax.
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Performance Modifications