Spintech 3247xl Sportman Review - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Spintech 3247xl Sportman Review

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a replacement muffler for my 2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7 DC. I had listened to hours of sound clips and have owned many different mufflers for previous vehicles including flowmaster, magnaflow, dynomax, borla and corsa. I recently owned a Titan for three years and from that decided to go with just a replacement muffler sticking with the stock 2 in 1 out configuration. I have traditionally been high on magnaflow or any straight thru muffler but went against that since hearing so many good things about spintech on different forums. I try not to get caught up on seat of the pants observations due to having past trucks on the dyno only to see something different. This is just MY opinion on this muffler. I really don't like anything about it. The sounds on the outside is not as loud as I expected and the drone on the inside can be pretty bad at different times in the rpm range and others its non-existant. I feel(subjective) I have lost a little throttle response. I know the ecu will have to learn the different flow and that may get better. Bottom line is I have driven away from the muffler shop with magnaflow and felt response was immediately better. I have spent so much money on exhaust in the past and will not do that on this truck so I am going back to stock and staying stock and will be selling the spintech by next week. I will not be doing sounds clips due to having this taken off on Thursday before anyone ask. I'm not changing out the muffler but will never use anything but straight thru mufflers again in the future.

Last edited by TXNOLE; 09-14-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 06:30 PM

Thanked 2,126 Times in 831 Posts
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Not exactly what I wanted to hear as I was planning on going with the regular Spintech Sportsman (not the XL) based on the positive reviews I've read about the Sportsman XL. I have an Edelbrock SDT muffler now and while it sounds good, I want something a little louder. I'm surprised to hear that yours drones, almost every review I've seen says there is little to no drone. Sounds like the Sportsman XL is on the quiet side based on what you've said which is the reason I was gonna try the shorter version.

So the XL is too quiet in your opinion?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have this same muffler and I also don't like it that much. The drone is horrible on this truck. I had the same muffler on my 04 Tundra and had no drone, so its disappointing to say the least. I will say though that mine is pretty loud outside the cab also, but the drone is most bothersome, and really bad in 5th gear when towing. Considering going to their truck/RV muffler.

2010 5.7 DC 4x4 LB W/T Injen CAI, Unichip, Nfab wheel to wheel 6 step, Bilstein HD shocks, Spintech Sportsman XL muffler, Jegs H-Pipe, Amsoil Signature 0w-30, Truck Covers USA Roll Cover,4.88 Nitro gears, Auburn Pro LSD, Supersprings SSA4, TRD sway bar, 275/70/18 Toyo Open Country A/T E rated.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,132 Posts
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I know the Corsa mufflers are not true 2/1, but they sound great! No drone whatsoever. One of the best things I've bought for my truck lately.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
This is the only tundra I have been in with aftermarket muffler so the drone may be bad on this truck in general. The Tundra and Titan to me are different from Ford, Dodge and Chevy in that you can't just go throw about any muffler on there and it sound good. I realize drone is a subjective thing and some may use this muffler and think differently but my daily route has me going back roads up and down hill and at certain points the drone is unbearable to me. I couldn't imagine towing with this thing. Gonna save up my money and get a corsa. I have had one on two different trucks and while not my absolute favorite sounding system they are true to their word that there is no drone. I will be selling the muffler for $95.00 if anyone is interested.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNOLE View Post
This is the only tundra I have been in with aftermarket muffler so the drone may be bad on this truck in general. The Tundra and Titan to me are different from Ford, Dodge and Chevy in that you can't just go throw about any muffler on there and it sound good. I realize drone is a subjective thing and some may use this muffler and think differently but my daily route has me going back roads up and down hill and at certain points the drone is unbearable to me. I couldn't imagine towing with this thing. Gonna save up my money and get a corsa. I have had one on two different trucks and while not my absolute favorite sounding system they are true to their word that there is no drone. I will be selling the muffler for $95.00 if anyone is interested.
I think its just the way this stuck is setup, engine wise, exhaust wise, etc. Its disappointing. I'm not sure what I'm going to try next.

2010 5.7 DC 4x4 LB W/T Injen CAI, Unichip, Nfab wheel to wheel 6 step, Bilstein HD shocks, Spintech Sportsman XL muffler, Jegs H-Pipe, Amsoil Signature 0w-30, Truck Covers USA Roll Cover,4.88 Nitro gears, Auburn Pro LSD, Supersprings SSA4, TRD sway bar, 275/70/18 Toyo Open Country A/T E rated.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 01:57 PM

I'd like to update this. Given that I didn't want to change out my muffler I looked into reducing or changing the drone that I had. I used the exhaust drone calculator to see where I needed to be to raise the drone level for cruising. As a result it recommended 1.3 ft to be cut off the exhaust. I cut 13 inches off, so a little less and my drone at cruise at 60 is near zero. I have a slight drone at 75 but its 60% less than what it was. I may cut a little more off later.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well just got back from the muffler shop and having them put the stock muffler back on. I'm sure someone will call bs but the truck immediately felt better(again my opinion) driving off. While I had the stock muffler off I got a flashlight and looked inside that thing and it looks to be very restrictive as far as the internals go but it just flat out works. That will be my only experiment with exhaust on this truck. I have decided to focus on leveling kit and cooper zeon ltz's to give it a nicer stance. Good luck to everyone else on their exhaust ventures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.