Anyone experience power loss w/ exhaust mod? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Silver09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 336
Thanks: 24
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Anyone experience power loss w/ exhaust mod?

I retained all the stock piping, but basically swapped out stock muffler for a Flowmaster 50 SUV muffler. 2.25" in dual, 3" out single.

I don't know if It's in my head, but it feels like I lost power.. butt dyno throwing me off here.

Would a power loss make sense here of does my butt dyno require calibration.

USMC
Silver Sky '09 4x2 DC
Silver09 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver09 For This Useful Post:
BKO (02-10-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Administrator
Premium Member
 
JCv2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Gunshine State
Posts: 42,431
Thanks: 6,468
Thanked 32,405 Times in 13,996 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
yeah u'll lose a little bottom end
JCv2.0 is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Silver09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 336
Thanks: 24
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How can I fix this aside from welding stock system back up? Would resetting ECM make a difference?

USMC
Silver Sky '09 4x2 DC
Silver09 is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Administrator
Premium Member
 
JCv2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Gunshine State
Posts: 42,431
Thanks: 6,468
Thanked 32,405 Times in 13,996 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
you should always disconnect the battery for 13 minutes before a mod of this type.

Last edited by JCv2.0; 02-02-2010 at 04:12 PM.
JCv2.0 is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Senior Member
 
1stYoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,684
Thanks: 917
Thanked 2,126 Times in 831 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver09 View Post
I retained all the stock piping, but basically swapped out stock muffler for a Flowmaster 50 SUV muffler. 2.25" in dual, 3" out single.

I don't know if It's in my head, but it feels like I lost power.. butt dyno throwing me off here.

Would a power loss make sense here of does my butt dyno require calibration.
About a month ago I installed the Edelbrock muffler (DI/SO) you were asking about in your other thread. Like you, I had it welded in place and kept the stock pipes. I also noticed a decrease in bottom end power. Not a huge difference, but noticeable nonetheless. After running two tanks of fuel through it it seems to have returned close to normal. I may have just gotten used to the new muffler though. Have you noticed that it will hold gears a little longer? I swear it holds gears 2,3, and 4 longer with the new muffler. I wonder if that gives the sensation of being slower? Either way, I'm beginning to think these trucks do not respond to most mods like my old Silverado did. These trucks are so well dialed in from the factory that I don't think anything short of a S/C is gonna improve performance. In fact, I think you may decrease it some, at least low-end power.

1stYoda is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Senior Member
 
crzy2bealive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: so cal
Posts: 2,590
Thanks: 38
Thanked 983 Times in 607 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i lost a little in the low end
crzy2bealive is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Senior Member
 
ripcord's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 1,220
Thanks: 27
Thanked 335 Times in 204 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stYoda View Post
About a month ago I installed the Edelbrock muffler (DI/SO) you were asking about in your other thread. Like you, I had it welded in place and kept the stock pipes. I also noticed a decrease in bottom end power. Not a huge difference, but noticeable nonetheless. After running two tanks of fuel through it it seems to have returned close to normal. I may have just gotten used to the new muffler though. Have you noticed that it will hold gears a little longer? I swear it holds gears 2,3, and 4 longer with the new muffler. I wonder if that gives the sensation of being slower? Either way, I'm beginning to think these trucks do not respond to most mods like my old Silverado did. These trucks are so well dialed in from the factory that I don't think anything short of a S/C is gonna improve performance. In fact, I think you may decrease it some, at least low-end power.
I agree and would say short of a custom tuned full exhaust system, most people (whether they want to admit it or not) install exhausts for the sound more than anything. I bought a JBA exhaust for my old Tacoma. It only lasted 15 minutes before I ripped it out and put the stock back on. No noticeable power increase (prob decrease in low end) and sounded like crap (bad drone). Granted it was only a 4.0L v6 but These Toyota engines seem pretty well tuned from the factory. Like you said a S/C would be the biggest upgrade.

I'll probably just save my self the money a just buy the silver exhaust tip for my Tundra. Not a big-sound guy.


2009 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L 4x4 SR5 TRD in Pyrite Mica
Tundra owner since May '09
ripcord is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Senior Member
 
1stYoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,684
Thanks: 917
Thanked 2,126 Times in 831 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcord View Post
I agree and would say short of a custom tuned full exhaust system, most people (whether they want to admit it or not) install exhausts for the sound more than anything. I bought a JBA exhaust for my old Tacoma. It only lasted 15 minutes before I ripped it out and put the stock back on. No noticeable power increase (prob decrease in low end) and sounded like crap (bad drone). Granted it was only a 4.0L v6 but These Toyota engines seem pretty well tuned from the factory. Like you said a S/C would be the biggest upgrade.

I'll probably just save my self the money a just buy the silver exhaust tip for my Tundra. Not a big-sound guy.
You're right, I installed mine purely for the sound. It definitely sounds great, like a V8 should imho, without being obnoxious. For me, the small trade-off is worth it, barely. I purposely went with a dual in/single out and kept the stock pipes so as to minimize low-end losses. That is why I am very skeptical when someone says they gained anything on these trucks with simple bolt-on mods. Maybe at 5500 rpm which I see maybe once a week.

1stYoda is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Silver09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 336
Thanks: 24
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I'm going to do an ECM reset and we'll see what happens. If I can't seem to get that low end power back I'm going to find a TRD muffler or something. I'd rather keep the low end and have a quiet truck.

USMC
Silver Sky '09 4x2 DC
Silver09 is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 06:05 PM
ron
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 383
Thanks: 73
Thanked 164 Times in 103 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Factory Correct...

I believe your VERY close to being right about Tundra's being "almost" maxed out from the factory and why not??? Why build an excellent truck, engine and drivetrain and restrain it like Ford, Chevy and Dodge do because of government EPA or insurance companies bullshit regulations??? Toyota's building a truck that performs, period. All of us Tundra owners know that as soon as we sit behind the wheel and fire one up. I have a feeling that's what Toyota had in mind when they made their ECU so damn hard to break into...They probably wanted us to leave well enough alone! (That's REALLY hard for me to do).
ron is offline  
#11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Senior Member
 
BluePassion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 233
Thanks: 6
Thanked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not seeing any gain, Not any loss either. Mine sounds good though



2007 DBL Cab "Texas Edition"
5.7L
Wade In Channel vent visors
Chrome Grill
Chrome Door Handles
Chrome Tail Gate Handle
MaganaFlow DI/SO with a inter cooled Dual Chrome Tip
BluePassion is offline  
#12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Silver09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 336
Thanks: 24
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Interesting.. I wonder what the difference is between Magnaflow and Flowmaster?


Anybody know which exhaust systems out there are actually dyno proven to produce more power and more sound without losing bottom end power?

USMC
Silver Sky '09 4x2 DC
Silver09 is offline  
#13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
RGriff69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,931
Thanks: 373
Thanked 1,433 Times in 806 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver09 View Post
Interesting.. I wonder what the difference is between Magnaflow and Flowmaster?


Anybody know which exhaust systems out there are actually dyno proven to produce more power and more sound without losing bottom end power?
All of the catback manufacturers claim power gains. I had it narrowed down to the Corsa di/so and the Borla duals. Both claim power gains but I decided to go with the Corsa. To be honest, I don't notice any power gain but truck sure sounds good!
RGriff69 is offline  
#14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
simonmcnasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 920
Thanks: 157
Thanked 461 Times in 218 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You are most likely feeling the difference in Torque, Free flowing exhaust usually give the most benefit in the highest rpm range, unlikely you would feel any benefit at low rpms, and you could lose torque feeling like you lost power



2011 Crewmax RW.
12" Bulletproof Lift
Fox Rear Shocks
Amp Research Power Steps
Front Window Tint
Mickey Thompson 36x15.5x20" MTZ
Fuel Hostage DEEP 20x14 150mm 45mm Offset
Bushwacker Pocket Style Flares
Smoked Tail lights
TRD Dual Exhaust System

SOLD
2008 Crewmax SR5 4x4, 6" Pro Comp Stage 2 lift
20" Rock Stars w 35x12.50x20 Dick Cepek's
Magnflow exhaust and Volant CAI, Amp Steps

BAD ASS Mo Fo Tundra Club Member #8
simonmcnasty is offline  
#15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Silver09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 336
Thanks: 24
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thats the thing I kept stock pipes for this reason and I am still feeling a low range loss.

Oh well. I guess it's either put stock back on or pay big bucks for a Corsa/Borla, which I may end up doing eventually.

USMC
Silver Sky '09 4x2 DC
Silver09 is offline  
Reply

  TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Performance Modifications


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome