Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Best Exhaust Mods?

18K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  shockin330i 
#1 ·
Since I can't reply to any topics (for some unknown reason to me), I thought I'd start a thread of my own here.

What's the "BEST" exhaust out there? Impossible to say - because it's all about perception. I'm glad about all the very positive feedback on my mufflers by the Tundra crowd - thank you. The GM, Ford, & Dodge people have not really discovered Powerstick Mufflers yet. I think they sound different & very good on any V-8. I also like other brands - I used to work for Dynomax & they had great products too.

Keep in mind while shopping for performance mufflers, that different designs & flowpath diameters will flow very differently. Some "performance" mufflers don't even flow as well as an OEM muffler, but they will sell on sound & advertising gimmicks. Any muffler where the internals have restrictive walls & deflectors, will produce a lot of backpressure. LOOK INSIDE OF THEM! The goal in upgrading should be a good sound to you, & improved flow vs. stock. By improving flow, you should see an improvement in fuel mileage as well, & this should be a MAJOR point of interest. The Dynomax cat-backs generally resulted in a 2 MPG mileage improvement because they flowed so much better than stock OEM mufflers. This was the case for Ford, GM, & Dodge trucks. That alone meant to me that upgrading the exhaust on a new truck, was mandatory!

That being said, research the brands & internal designs before you choose & go with what you think will work best for your application. Bigger is not always better either on a gas engine. Going to too large of a muffler/system diameter will result in a loss of performance in the low & midrange band. I think the ideal diameter for the Tundra V-8's (dual exhaust) is 2.25" or 2.5". If you are going to single after the muffler, run a 3" tailpipe. Also, dumping under the vehicle will always be louder, no matter what muffler. I'll touch on catalytic converters. The OE cats are the best ones - they are the most expensive too. Aftermarket cats that advertise high-flow, usually don't flow any better than the OE ones. All the current monolithic converter internals flow very well, plus the OE cats have a much more concentrated "washcoat" of precious metals on them - that's why they are so much more expensive. What the OE builds into their cats is durability. They HAVE to last 8 years or 100,000 miles without failing - that's federally mandated. The only way to make them last that long, is to really build them right. If you remove or replace them during the warranty period, it will effect the drivetrain warranty.

Anyway, enjoy your trucks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to TT. Are you gonna become a supporting vendor? I think a group buy would be in order and you would probably sell quit a few sets.

#13 ·
Sweet!!!
If by some chance you catch that tracking number it would be great. I'm an anxious man! hahaha

The place I'm getting them installed quoted me 60 bucks so I'll probably have it done as soon as they come in :woot:

ps. I'll have 2 waiting for him. He's a cool guy. He brings me a lot of toys :D

#17 ·
no sir. my bro and i like to build things so the pipe bender and welders are a must. plasma cutter is on the way for when the oxy cutter just doesnt cut it, lol. no pun intended. along with some new parts for one of the drill presses so the shop will be back up and runnin!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.