Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

K&N 57-9031 Air Intake

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Powertechn2 
#1 ·
Well, pulled the trigger and will be the guinea pig for the K&N 57 Series (intake tube and filter replacement). Was looking at the AFE version, but 3 bills is hard to swallow, not that 2 bills for this is really any better. Guess you save $100 since the K&N doesn't include the TB spacer. The K&N version intake tube is plastic, which I prefer over the AFE's metal.

Install took about 10 minutes. The intake and supplied hardware fit perfectly.

http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/57-9031_dyno.pdf

K&N claims 5.87hp and 12.97ftlbs on a 12 Tundra with 2nd gear pulls. I use the AFE drop-in so who knows...LOL!

I like it! Nice and clean. I reset everything so we shall see if there will be any difference. I run the AFE drop in filter, and on initial ride around the block, the exhaust is a little louder, not as loud as a full aftermarket CAI, but louder than a just the drop-in; exactly what I expected.

I did not use the supplied drop in K&N filter. It and my old AFE CAI will be in the 4 sale forum shortly.

See less See more
#5 ·
It's been 2 tanks since I put this on. My average mpg was 11.9 and is currently 12.4. I don't think the intake had much to do with any of that. I think finding and fixing the air leak from the Moroso air/oil separator - PCV valve gets credit for 99% of that gain. I have not had a P0101 since!

I will say it's running and feeling stronger than it ever has, as far as I can remember, with this set up. I do miss the louder exhaust note, but I'll trade that for how it feels right now. I can break my 33x12.50 Kuhmo MTs loose, and I couldn't do that before. Kind of wish I would of used the performance testing on the Bullydog for some comparison before and after.

#6 ·
So it pretty much replaced the corrugated tubing with a solid tube?

That seems to be the only issue with the factory intake set-up. Can cause disturbance in air flow.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#11 ·
I might have to look into just swapping tubes down the road.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.