Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Bully Dog VS Hypertech?

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  j_fuggin_t 
#1 ·
Ok, so I am super confused about the difference between Bully Dog and Hypertech. The Hypertech seems like it's plug and play and the Bully Dog seems like it's got endless adjustments and custom settings. Am I misunderstanding? The Bully Dog seems intimidating to me, but it seems like most people are going with that. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

#3 ·
Ive had both on my 13. HTI is, like you said, plug and play. You can feel a little difference. Other than selecting the intake your running there is really no other options.

I currently run the BD. It will flash your PCM with a new tune. You can select a regular gas tune or a premium gas tune. Choose how the trans shifts and change/remove the speed limiter. Plus, there are many more benefits you get with the BD.

If you can following instructions, the BD is not intimidating and worth it.

#4 ·
I have not used a Hypertech, but I have the Bullydog on my truck.
The setup takes a little while, but after that it is straight forward, takes about 10 minutes to change tunes.
It comes with a lot of options, gauges, scan/clear codes etc.
I dynoed it 3 weeks ago and found the highest gains to be +15 HP at 3800 RPM and +22 lb-ft at 3300 RPM on premium tune.
The peak power gains were also a nice +8 peak HP and +17 peak lb-ft
I am quite happy with it.

#5 ·
Thanks for the responses, guys! Looks like I'm goin with Bully Dog! They just came out with a new thing called BDX too, which allows you to tune and then hide the tuner. That fits my setup a little better as I didn't really want to add the extra screen and everything (I like things to look clean and stock). Thanks again for the help, I appreciate the insight!

#8 ·
I've got one if the other tuners 40417 I could sell you. I have a new one coming for my supercharger set up and won't need this one any longer.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.