Modifications to increase MPG - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
TundraTalk.net now has a Photo Gallery available to all users. Upload your photos today!
Toyota Tundra Header Background Toyota Tundra Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

Go Back   TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Performance Modifications
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Gameroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

TundraTalk.net is the premier Toyota Tundra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2008, 05:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Modifications to increase MPG

What modifications do you guys recommend to increase mpg on the new tundra? Im a newbie, so please elaborate. Thanks
Mikeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeee View Post
What modifications do you guys recommend to increase mpg on the new titan? Im a newbie, so please elaborate. Thanks
Can't really help you with mods to increase the MPG on a new Titan my friend. Most of the folks on this site drive Tundras.

Are you sure you have the right web site?

Now if you meant the new Tundra, you could add a CAI and cat-back to help increase your MPG a little. But don't expect too much as you'll have to drive your truck like you're hauling explosives down a bumpy road to see anything measurable. The Tundra already gets great, (for a big block with tons of torque and HP), gas mileage.

Personally the biggest mod I'd have to make is to have my right foot removed, as that's the only way I'd be able to keep my foot off the accelerator... No, come to think of it I'd just learn to smash the accelerator with my stump.

To borrow a phrase from Mazda... I like to go Zoom-Zoom!
Old 02-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

For a titan you could drive out to a field, get several gallons of gasoline and a few of diesel. Then cover it in fuel and light, add in the diesel after a few mins and then it should be a little better than stock.

For a Tundra just a new exhaist, CAI, and eventually when they come out with some a electronic tuner you will be able to tune instantly for power or mileage.
-K&N drop in w/ carbon delete

My Moms ride
2008 Sequoia Limited Black 5.7
-same tint as the Tundra
TampaTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry guys, I don't know what I was thinking. I'm was debating between a titan and tundra, and have decided to go the tundra route.
What is CAI and Cat-back? Would you need the whole exhaust system or just the muffler? Ive also read that you can install an air filter system to increase mpg. Thanks guys..keep it coming
Old 02-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Soooo far, I've figured, the only way to get better gas mileage from a Tundra, is to bolt 3" blocks under the gas pedal!!
Doubledown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doubledown For This Useful Post:
cueto (09-18-2013), dsmwil (04-18-2013)
Old 02-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Sorry guys, I don't know what I was thinking. I'm was debating between a titan and tundra, and have decided to go the tundra route.
What is CAI and Cat-back? Would you need the whole exhaust system or just the muffler? Ive also read that you can install an air filter system to increase mpg. Thanks guys..keep it coming
After breakin the 1,400 or so miles on my Tundra I had bout almost bout 15mpg in City...After Volant CAI, Corsa Exhaust System, JBA Headers install mpg dropped to 10.5 and increasing back slowly...ECU needs time to learn da mods..been only 300 miles on the mods and now I'm at 13.9 mpg...rising and rising...My buddy has an '08 Titan hes averaging 12mpg so far on stock...he ain't happy told him Tundra is a way to go..
Mods:Viper 5500 Remote Start, HyperTech, URD MAF Calibrator , Unichip RS Speed w/ 5-Custom Maps, Volant CAI, TRD Sway Bar, Auburn LSD, Sport Corsa Exhaust System, OBX Long Tube Headers w/ URD Y-pipe and many more,..

2006 Nissan Pathfinder
2011 BMW K1300S
2009 HD Vrod Night Rod Special
Tundraholic08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Gas mileage is horrible in the beginning and gets better as the truck breaks in.

It's a truck, its got a lot of power, and gas mileage is gonna suck especially in town driving.

The only sure fire way to drive it like a grandma... but then where's the fun in that?
Hawaii 5.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

a cat back system is an exhaust kit that includes all the hardaware and pipes to replace the exhaust from just behind the catalytic converters.It goes headers right out of the block, then the downpipes, they come together to the catalytic converters, then that goes to the muffler then out to the tip.

You could do just a muffler and get the benefits. A CAI is a Cold Air Intake. It replaces the air filter box and tubing going into the motor. Getting a CAI lets the motor breath in more oxygen. When a CAI sucks in more air and allows the air to flow through more freely it will become louder, the air rushes in faster so you hear it a little more. Stock air intakes do not let in alot of air due to from the factory the maker wants it to be quiet. But more oxygen means more efficient combustion and you get more from each gallon of fuel.

If you do an exhaust you really should do and intake, and the other way around. Imagine if you increased the amount of oxygen you could inhale, but then could only exhale half the oxygen in inhaled, wouldnt work too well.

Hope that makes sense, may have rambled a little.

My Moms ride
-same tint as the Tundra
Old 02-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
"Señor Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaTundra View Post
a cat back system is an exhaust kit that includes all the hardaware and pipes to replace the exhaust from just behind the catalytic converters.It goes headers right out of the block, then the downpipes, they come together to the catalytic converters, then that goes to the muffler then out to the tip.

You could do just a muffler and get the benefits. A CAI is a Cold Air Intake. It replaces the air filter box and tubing going into the motor. Getting a CAI lets the motor breath in more oxygen. When a CAI sucks in more air and allows the air to flow through more freely it will become louder, the air rushes in faster so you hear it a little more. Stock air intakes do not let in alot of air due to from the factory the maker wants it to be quiet. But more oxygen means more efficient combustion and you get more from each gallon of fuel.

If you do an exhaust you really should do and intake, and the other way around. Imagine if you increased the amount of oxygen you could inhale, but then could only exhale half the oxygen in inhaled, wouldnt work too well.

Hope that makes sense, may have rambled a little.
Well said, thank you!!!! A few days ago, I couldn't explain what anything does, now thanks to this forum I kindda know what i'm talking about. I told myself I wouldn't, but I think i'm gonna shed a tear
SybErkRimInAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

yes thank you. Everything is nice and clear now
Old 02-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Gameroom cash: $151162
Thanked 2,627 Times in 1,590 Posts
Mikee I have an AFE CAI closed system, along with Borla XRS complete stainless steel duals with stainless steel rolled/angled tips. Now just the AFE along increased my mpg by 2 mpg. Trips I took roughly 180 miles at 60 got me 22mpg in my 5.7. I was getting 18-19 before. At 55 I got 24.7mpg. Since I added the duals I increased another .5mpg. If I do 70 I get 19.5mpg. These are what I'm getting. When towing my boat before I put on the AFE i was getting 15.5-16 mpg. I haven't tried it since I put in the AFE. When I do I will put out the information to everyone.
Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

wow just with a these simple modifications you can bring your mpg up. Sounds like its on my to do list once I pick up my truck this weekend.
How about wheels? Will getting larger wheels increase or decrease mpg?
4x4 vs 4x2? Ive read that 4x4 waste more gas. Any truth to that?
Thanks guys
Old 02-01-2008, 11:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
What is CAI and Cat-back? Would you need the whole exhaust system or just the muffler? I've also read that you can install an air filter system to increase mpg. Thanks guys..keep it coming
If you want to go a less expensive route and still get some of the benefits; both in HP and MPG gain, you could buy a K&N flat panel replacement for your stock air filter and have a straight through design muffler like a Magnaflow installed instead of entire CAI and cat-back systems. This will save you 600 to 700 bucks.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

4x4 weighs more so only by a little. When in 4x4 it will burn more fuel. But the 4x4 on the tundra is not a full time 4x4 or all wheel drive system. You switch it in and out of 4 hi/lo. But even in 2wd in a 4x4 it may add a little resistance and rotational weight that could affect mileage.

With wheels and tires bigger normaly drops mpg. But that said getting smaller wont help either. Has to do alot with weight, wheel weight and tire weight. Getting the X-sp package may help a little because its a thinnner lower profile tire mainly for street compared to the Michelin/ BF Goodrich tires on the other models that are a heavier tire for all terrain.

The 5.7 gets a hair better mileage but you gota act like there is an egg on the gas pedal and smoothly roll into the throttle. I have driven around town before and been amazed how little fuel I have used and I was conciously driving fuel conservatilvely but still keeping up with traffic and all. Then ran it out open out of a few lights and a few speedy passes and such and ha the needle will respond accordingly.

In my truck when I drive from my house in Tampa to college in Boca, its far south-east and around a 3 1/2 hour drive all at highway speed, I average 75-80 and get 19-20 mpg. You can notice a difference when you push the speed up only to around 85-90 your mileage does decrease a good amount.

My Moms ride
-same tint as the Tundra
The Following User Says Thank You to TampaTundra For This Useful Post:
ifeemster (09-16-2013)
Old 02-19-2008, 07:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Without sounding like a smartass, just be easy with your right foot. I have driven trucks mainly Fords for the last 20 years or so (New Tundra owner), and have countless mods (intakes, catbacks, spark plugs and plug wires) and none have made any difference that I could tell. Our Tundra's with the 5.7 gets better mileage that any full size truck I have ever driven.
So enjoy the horsepower when feel like a teenager!
Drive smooth and moderately for good mileage.
14tundra (12-12-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Performance Modifications