Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Exhaust shop, stainless welding rod?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  theman 
#1 ·
If I do something w/my exhaust, will most exhaust shops carry welding rod that is stainless?

Thanx.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#2 ·
Yes, any decent exhaust shop should have at least stainless wire, and a MIG(with the right gas) to weld up stuff nice and proper. The really good ones will TIG it up for you... :)

Call and check ahead... if they don't do stainless welding steer clear of them.

#3 ·
When I did my exhaust none of the shops around here had stainless wire.

So I had to buy a lb of stainless tig filler rod. If you don't find anyone with stainless wire, or anyone with stainless tig rod lemme know. I used about half of one stick at best, you don't need much. This will only work for tig though.

#4 ·
I agree. More often then not, most welding shops are gonna weld your stainless exhaust with plain old 70s wire. The exhaust will be stainless but the welds wont be.

It won't hurt a thing and the carbon steel weld will be the last thing the fail. I would worry about the exhaust techs welding skills before I worried about the weld composition.

Before anyone asks, yes you can weld stainless with carbon steel welding wire just fine.

I wouldn't worry a bit about it unless you are crippled up with an OCD condition that would prevent you from sleeping at night.

#5 ·
Yea, it was my OCD'ness kicking in.

My last vehicle I installed an AFE cat-back. It was supposed to be SS, but rusted to shit, so I made my own this time and wanted EVERYTHING to be ss. The only non ss item was the welds on the hangers. The y pipe, muffler, hangers, and tubing were all ss. Just I didn't feel like removing everything to tig the hangers. Coated with high heat paint, still looks good. Y pipe on the other hand was crappy chinese ss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.