Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

What to do with my new SC tundra?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  KoBear 
#1 · (Edited)
What to do with my new SC tundra? Updated questions post #10

(Besides push all the fun buttons and make a cloud of smoke)

I debated on if this should go into one of the other SC threads but the question didn't seem to fit the threads so I'll ask here. I am flying out to sign paperwork for my Tundra this week and should get it shipped here in the next week or two. It is a new, off the lot Tundra getting the SC installed, so it is sitting on the lot with standard grade fuel rather than high octane fuel. What would the consensus be for how to remedy the situation? Add an octane booster to the present gas, ask dealer to drain fuel and replace with premium fuel (don't know that I'd trust it to be done even if the said they did it), let the truck idle in the driveway to burn off fuel and replace with premium, drain the gas at home and replace (not really equipped for that though), etc?

I'm new to the supercharged engine world and want to make sure I don't turn the truck into a paperweight as soon as I get it.

Thanks!

#5 ·
Any recommended booster, and how much of said booster?

there might be 5 to 6 gallons as it sits at the dealer so let them do their thing with the s/c and ask them to fill it up with premium before delivery.
also,tank has to be dropped so then would be a good time to empty it.
I was unaware the tank needed to be dropped for the install.

I will definitely give the dealer a call this afternoon to see what arrangements can be made.

#9 ·
I honestly think all new vehicles should be on empty as they sit. They only fill up when you purchase the vehicle. At least that's what they do here in the Houston area

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#10 · (Edited)
Okay, I have a couple more questions that I'm looking for a little more direction with and I'm sure you all have the answers!

I am expecting truck delivery this week/weekend and want to put in a few orders soon so I can do installations before selling my FJ. I am planning on getting a retractable bed cover for security reasons (golf clubs, work stuff, etc), but after that I'm not sure how to rank what order to balance cost/benefit. In consideration: dirtydeeds exhaust, shift kit? Not sure if needed or reputable source, TRD sway bar (I am only off-road occasionally at the family farm and may take the truck to the OK sand dunes every once in a while), amp power side steps to replace factory steps, accent led lights, suspension - not looking to lift, maybe just level out, new wheels/tires, AFR/boost gauges, maybe a full custom matte wrap but that'll probably cost me a kidney. So that's where I'm starting, let me know what you think.

Supercharger question: Does the truck NEED to have all the nannies off to be driveable? I know that's a loaded question in this sub-forum, but if the wifey takes ip the truck to run errands and doesn't turn them off is she gonna have problems. Also, what about in inclement snow and Ivey weather?

#12 ·
The exhaust would be good to add and you do not have to turn the nannies off. Although I Usually drive it in ALSD: Think of being in an intersection and some asshat blows through and you have to give it give it gas to get out of the way but you have no power. Same as pulling out in heavy traffic an you experience some slip and lose power. I have had no issue with driving in snow, ice, rain and mud with both 4x4 and in 2wd. I also have a touchy throttle. Keep in Mind you can drive the vehicle in Alsd with no ill effect. I have been doing it for a long time. Good Luck

#11 · (Edited)
based on your questions,you will not like the shift kit as it's too abrupt in daily use and it will instantly void tranny warranty.
exhaust and headers is a nice addition but power increases will be modest unless you get into full race setup which you will not like.(see above comments)
a/f gauges are not needed until you start doing other performance stuff to it like pulleys .and even then.
headers will not require you to have gauges either
sway bar is a worthwhile addition.
all the other junk is purely cosmetic and personal preference so asking us is futile at best.
the only drama allowed on this forum pertains to performance>:D

leave the nannies on in difficult driving conditions or if your wife drives.they'll cut some power and save your bacon.truck is entirely drive able with them on.they mostly cut power at lower speeds until 50mph or so.
this is not an audi s7,it's a truck and turning them off will bite you in the posterior under the wrong circumstances.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.