Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

2014 - 2015 FFV WITH Supercharger

51K views 307 replies 38 participants last post by  j_fuggin_t 
#1 ·
I have seen one or two people out here with a FFV Tundra and the TRD supercharger.

I have a few questions for you.

1. Was your dealer able to load the standard SC fuel tune in your FFV ecu? I don't know if they are actually different ECU's or just a different tune for FFV in the same ECU.

2. How many miles do you have on your trucks with the SC?

3. Are any of you using a uhego to monitor your AIR Fuel ratio?

4. Have you had any warranty issues?

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#7 ·
Like stated the dealer will not flash a FFV truck. I have only known one person who installed an AEM AFR gauge and it was on the lean side in boost but Unichip sent him a new harness (racnjasen).

Warranty is out the door if you install the SC on a FFV. Getting someone who has a SC'd FFV is hard to get answers from....although Sparks states that they do a lot of them as well as Unichip.

Give Jack, he's the GM at Unichip, a call to discuss what it can and can't do. I spoke with him concerning the FFV and Unichip just to understand what the issues were.

#8 ·
Thanks everyone. I called Jack at Unichip today, hoping to hear back From him tomorrow. My SC is on order and should be here early next week. With unichip I should have the last piece of the FFV puzzle. Hoping to have it completed in a week or two .

#9 ·
If you run into lean conditions in mild boost and the unichip is not doing its job you could try an enricher. It helps with low boost lean conditions. You could ask if its compatible when you speak with him. Let us know about any shifting issues at WOT. https://splitsec.com/product/lsc1-001-universal-fuel-enrichment-module/
@dirtydeeds gave some info since I was running lean at low boost while being in closed loop. I still have to install it. For now I just make sure it kicks down/open loop to keep it at 11.5-11.8afr in boost.

#15 ·
racenjasen has had his FFV supercharged for a while, he had some issues in the beg but it was because the unichip wasn't tuned right, i believe he sent it to unichip and they squared it up, His a/f #'s have been solid ever since. I was going to do it, but planned to wait until powertrain was up, but with the discontinuation of the s/c the turbo setup looks better or the deeds header back exhaust w/ a trail tune

#16 ·
Unichip ordered after having conversations with Jack today. Supercharger will be here next Tuesday. Not sure how quick the Unichip will get here.

#17 · (Edited)
2015 tundra ffv supercharged

Hi Everyone,

Ok I'm a like a kid in the candy store. Day 2 with a FFV SC'ed Tundra.

This was quite an adventure as you all know, no one out there wants to talk about it if its really been done at all. So I guess I am about to dispel myth and rumor and let you in on reality.

It can be done, and its not hard to do.

The vehicle runs without any real problems. Not to say it is completely flawless, but it works.

Unichip (Jack) I owe a thanks to, he was great to deal with. His product works as advertised. He does tell you that there is a potential issue, but the issue is nothing to be concerned over.

My Technician at the dealer stated and I quote " The Unichip and ECU seem to work very well together" It appears to do exactly what it needs to do to keep everything living in harmony.

The truck runs slightly rich throughout the entire RPM band. Not overly rich, not lean, just slightly richer than the factory tune. Which is great, I would rather foul a plug some time down the road than burn a piston. We monitored the O2's with the dealers scan tool for several miles all while putting the truck through its paces, not once did we go lean, not once did the fuel pump get out of low mode and have to kick in to high to keep up with the SC's fuel requirements. My Tech was impressed.

The truck moves along, I would say its as fast as Mama's C6 Corvette, possibly faster. Its a riot to drive and has no trouble passing other cars. I no longer have to plan to get around someone. I just jump on it and I'm gone.

The kit from Toyota is very well throught out and very well engineered. I am sure it will last for 100K without issue.

There is plenty of power now. I wont be adding anything additional to it , no smaller upper pulley, no larger crank pulley. Its plenty good for what I need the truck for.

I hope others will jump in and SC their FFV. I am happy to discuss any of the ins and outs if you are interested.

>:D:D

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Everyone,

Ok I'm a like a kid in the candy store. Day 2 with a FFV SC'ed Tundra.

This was quite an adventure as you all know, no one out there wants to talk about it if its really been done at all. So I guess I am about to dispel myth and rumor and let you in on reality.

It can be done, and its not hard to do.

The vehicle runs without any real problems. Not to say it is completely flawless, but it works.

Unichip (Jack) I owe a thanks to, he was great to deal with. His product works as advertised. He does tell you that there is a potential issue, but the issue is nothing to be concerned over.

My Technician at the dealer stated and I quote " The Unichip and ECU seem to work very well together" It appears to do exactly what it needs to do to keep everything living in harmony.

The truck runs slightly rich throughout the entire RPM band. Not overly rich, not lean, just slightly richer than the factory tune. Which is great, I would rather foul a plug some time down the road than burn a piston. We monitored the O2's with the dealers scan tool for several miles all while putting the truck through its paces, not once did we go lean, not once did the fuel pump get out of low mode and have to kick in to high to keep up with the SC's fuel requirements. My Tech was impressed.

The truck moves along, I would say its as fast as Mama's C6 Corvette, possibly faster. Its a riot to drive and has no trouble passing other cars. I no longer have to plan to get around someone. I just jump on it and I'm gone.

The kit from Toyota is very well through out and very well engineered. I am sure it will last for 100K without issue.

There is plenty of power now. I wont be adding anything additional to it , no smaller upper pulley, no larger crank pulley. Its plenty good for what I need the truck for.

I hope others will jump in and SC their FFV. I am happy to discuss any of the ins and outs if you are interested.
Sweet!!! Jack is a nice guy and spoke with me forever concerning the FFV and unichip, although I don't have one.

Keep us updated and congrats on having that 2015 FFV SUPERCHARGED!!!!

#21 ·
There are many FFV tundra's out there just not on this forum or other forums for that matter??? Most won't do it because of the warranty issue but it does work!

#22 ·
All together, SC, Unichip and install under $7000.00

#25 ·
Great post on the S/C FFV install
-What dealership installed that for you?
-Is your powertrain warranty still valid?
-Did the Unichip come with a "ready to go" canned S/C tune? Would a custom Dyno Tune be more effective?

#26 ·
My local dealer that I purchased the truck from installed it.
Warranty is intact.
Unichip came with a tune that was built around the items I had on the truck. Semi custom canned tune.
With every thing we are seeing, I am happy with the tune as is.

#29 ·
18.3 MPG by my calculations not the vehicle

Well here is the fun part of this whole adventure. By creating positive pressure on the intake side my gas mileage has increased from the 15.1 I was getting with the stock set up, to an incredible 18.3 MPG using my calculations not the ECU's. So let me get this right, my 2004 Titan never made it over 12.7 mpg. My tundra is now doing 18.3. An increase of 5.6 mpg. I am pretty sure the SC will pay for itself over time. So a great return on my investment. Not to mention the smiles per gallon I am getting with it.

Reactions: mdl
#30 ·
How is the warranty able to be intact? I'm very interested to do this although probably won't be able to find a SC.

#32 ·
He stated that he had a good relationship with his dealership and they would cover it. I have heard some dealerships install the Unichip on the FFV and will warranty the work as long as it is not related to the Unichip causing the failure. I think it was also stated that dealerships have some pull in what they will cover for warranty work.

#36 ·
Each dealer is different, however if you lunch a block toyota will send a territory manager to inspect things, they did this with my truck bed of my 2007 tundra, dilly dallied around and toyota sent two different reps to look at it, when it was clear as day perforation. Rear end, trans, sure you might be able to get covered if the dealer is cool, but if its a motor issue that stems from the s/c i wouldn't count on it.

#33 ·
I understand covering aftermarket stuff that dealers put on. What I'm talking about is "Toyota" doesn't approve the SC to be installed on FFV. I did not know that a dealership decides what they will and will not cover. I also would figure that any dealership is gonna say , oh the unichip is the problem warranty void. But having a good relationship with your dealer they will most likely take care of you. Had I known this or had a good relationship with my local dealer, I would have gotten an SC 35k miles ago.

#35 ·
I've heard that Sparks Toyota has done a number of these swaps. I wonder what their official stance is on the warrantee issue.

#41 ·
For those of you who are not Familiar with the Magnuson Moss warranty act, you need to become intimate with it. You will have a better understanding of what your rights are as a consumer. This law is in place to protect you the consumer.

Reactions: Tundra_Dog
#44 · (Edited)
1. No the FFV ECU will not take the std tune. So the Unichip is the work around.

2. I have about 500 miles on since the installation.

3. Not running a uego, using 2 different scan tools to monitor live data.

4. No warranty issues to date related to the SC install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.