Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

VIrginia Modifications and LEO's

4K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  John99GSX 
#1 ·
I was considering an exhaust or LED light modification. I have heard this would be a sure way to get a ticket in VA.

The law states in summary: it will be illegal to change the exhaust to anything other than stock. If a replacement is needed, it will have to be replaced with something that resembles the stock exhaust.

The "light rules" state in summary that no more that four "on" at a time. There is something about fog lights having to go off when the high beams are on.

Anyone have any experiences with ticketing after modifications?

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#2 ·
The lights thing is regulated by the dept of transportation )federal).

#3 ·
Also, if the lights aren't DOT/SAE certified, they're not legal for on-road use. Rigid has some new D2 fogs that are certified, and some 6" E Series "auxiliary high beams" that should be legal to run with factory high beams. Headlights + Fogs = 4. Highbeams + 2x aux high beams = 4.

Kind of my thinking - for what I'd like to do down the line.

Or, if you're *wink*wink* never going to use them on-road, buy whatchulike. Just don't get caught.

derp

#12 ·
I wouldn't do that unless it a huge stock type muffler. I have lt header, two cats and a 19" Borla Pro XS muffler cat back and its still ROAR. No drones just a little hummm at high speed but the Nittro Trail Grabbler hummms louder so I don't really hear it. :D

Reactions: 4dailyrunner
#7 ·
The VA law is no more than 4 white lights forward at a time. So 4 with Lows and 4 with highs is legal. Exhaust will only be a problem with a LEO that is looking to get you for something additional. I see you are in NoVA but here in SWVA everyone has an aftermarket exhaust on their truck.

You did not say what kind of LED light modifications you were thinking about doing.

#16 ·
I have a co-worker that got a ticket for loud exhaust leaving his sub division in Chesterfield Virginia. He was in a modified Buick Regal. The cop told him that some of his neighbors had complained about the noise when he left for work in the morning. Technically they can give you the ticket, but only a few cops really enforce it.

Reactions: 4dailyrunner
#22 ·
I am in Northern Va...Fairfax Station. I have a 10" BAM setup from Keith @ Dirty Deeds. I also have the supercharger. My truck is fairly quiet under normal driving conditions. No drone, but the exhaust does come to life when I get on it, but it still isn't loud regardless...so no worries about getting a ticket.

I also lined my interior with sound deadner and its quite amazing how quiet the cab is with the windows rolled up...when the windows are down and I get into the throttle it sounds really sweet outside (sound of freedom)...:D

Frank

#24 ·
Looks like we have at least 3 NOVA guys.

Hey Crunch, I am considering the BA Muffler, I would like to get together one of these days to hear your BAMuffler from Keith if that is possible. PM Sent.

Maybe we can start a local Tundra group in our area?

#25 ·
I am in NOVA as well, Winchester Area. Only had mine for a month, but no issues so far.

I did have to get my state inspection done and it passed without issue. They did say I might get a ticket for it.

There are a lot of louder and harsher sounding trucks and cars I pass everyday so I am not overly concerned about it.

#26 ·
Hey John99GSX
I was going to ask what ba system you have but noticed that's stated in your signature. you got the budget system without any muffler.
No hassle at Emission? or is Winchester not requiring Emission on trucks?

Thanks,

#27 ·
Hello,

Yeah I have the Budget no muffler. If I were to ever get hassled I would get some heat shields/sheet metal and have them welded around the pipe to have a muffler like appearance.

I never got hassled on the motorcycles around here and they were much louder lol.

We dont have emissions testing here (frederick county). I assume it would pass the test as most the emissions related stuff happens before and in the cat's. The muffler is just for noise reduction.

I did a quick look and found this:
Your vehicle must meet Virginia's emissions inspection requirements if it is garaged in one of the localities listed below:

Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, or Stafford
Cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas or Manassas Park

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.