Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Is a tuner worthwhile?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  MASSappeal 
#1 ·
Hypertech or Bully Dog? Has anyone had both and can say whether one is better than the other? BTW, my Tundra is a 2007 5.7 SR5 4X4 with dual TRD exhaust.

Thanks,
Paul

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#2 ·
Save your money, as far as ive learned from reading this site, our trucks are already tuned. Guys mostly use the hypertech to calibrate bigger wheels but thats about it.

#3 ·
It's a toss up between the two. If your looking to smooth out the throttle and gain a few HP's the Hypertech may be the way to go. If you plan to add Long Tube headers or supercharge the BD is the way to go. Our trucks are not a high priority to get updates out to as they require a lot of work on the ECU.
I have been very happy with my BD since they came out. It can be updated and reprogrammed.

#4 ·
With them now being closer in price, I'm planning on going with the BD, even though I am not nor do I plan to supercharge. One of the big reasons being that it gives you some more monitoring of particular things in the truck beyond what the guages already tell you. I currently have an UltraGuage and would rather have the BD tuner in my truck along with a nice tune to help it out however slightly it may be.

#5 ·
Is BD available for 2014?

#7 ·
Thanks guys. I'll save my money then. I went with a larger tire, recently, and am having gear shifting issues. I'll simply go with the Hypertech speedo calibrator to fix thay and put the money, intended for a tuner, into 20" wheels. Thanks!

#9 ·
275/70/18 GY Duratracs. Good tire. But, I'm planning on going with 20" x 10" rims and BFG 33 x 12.5 tires.

Reactions: roboots21
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.