Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Austin transmission shops

7K views 84 replies 5 participants last post by  Maxwell881 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a good transmission shop in the Austin area. I am looking at picking up the shift kit, and would like some help with the installation. If anyone has someone that they trust, let me know. Thank you.

#3 ·
I have thought about that, I just have never done tranny work. I saw the install video, and it looks very possible. I am very mechanical, just have never worked on a transmission other than changing fluid. I guess i'm a little nervous. I typically do everything myself, I just did the level kit in the garage last week, and did the cvc axles on my Accord this past weekend, not a lot of skill needed for those jobs but I did them. My thought was, take it to a tranny shop, let them get it in the air, work with something that they do on a regular basis.

#4 ·
If you can install axles and a level kit, then you can definitely install the shift kit..
send me a PM, I'll send you some detail photos of what the IPT video doesn't show for the spoolin shift kit..
-
-

#5 ·
PM sent.

#7 ·
Is this the info on turning the knob to incrase line pressure?
Haha.. nope, that's the easiest part.. I'll just post it here late tonight (PST).. both of you can use it..

#8 ·
Ok, thank you.

#9 ·
subd...

#10 · (Edited)
Hey Josh, Chris, Randomwalk and Texas Boy, welcome to the mod that will make you say WOW, I should have done this earlier!!
:eek:

I'll number these added tips for your install:

1) Watch this video (4 times like how my scared azz did on my first one -lol)
Note: your truck is not upside down and will piss fluid for hours.

2) Your Spoolim Shift Kit looks like this

3) Your Stock plasitic brown accumulators look like these with a spring on both ends (top ones not shown)

4) You need to move the spring from the stock one to the Aluminum one

5) This is a tricky part, See the retaining clip, you need to be creative to squeeze that clip together to pop out the spring. Use a bench vise and two AWL picks worked for me, then move the spring and reuse the clip by spreading it back out when in the aluminum accumulator. You also need to transfer over the O-rings.

6) This is how your top removable springs should look with the pins/rods in them. The pins should ideally be a 1/4" shorter than the spring its in (the bottom springs are not shown in this photo)

7)This Assembly Goo works best when the transmission is COLD. Ideally drain the pan. remove the pan. I used a rectangle cement mixing pan from Home Depot that fits nicely under the pan. I removed the Valve Body and let it drain/piss fluid overnight. The next morning it was drain and cold. Watch out for the single ballbearing and spring, keep the accumulators and their springs together. Remember the 4 different bolt sizes that come out when removing the VB

8)Tools needed, small torque wrench for 8 ft/lbs for ALL bolts, 10mm socket, AWL

9) Toyota WS fluid is the Best at nearly $10 a quart. I used 8 quarts. I since used this Valvoline WS equivalent, 1 gallon is $17 at Wallmart. It works the same.

10)Here is a new IPT video on how to check your fluid level. I just used a funnel - I attached a 3 foot 1/2" Outer Dimension hose and clamped it to the hose, then ran it from the engine compartment to the inlet of the 24mm fill hole and let gravity fill the transmission. The video uses a pump.

11) It's a good idea to Reset your ECU or just undue the battery cable or wire harness connections to the ECU when draining the fluid.

-----
I hope that adds to your Spoolin Directions. The pan gasket is silicone and reusable. Don't forget to turn the side knob on the VB one notch to the right. Enjoy this mod. Good Luck..
JIM

:)
Here is my Fast Firm Shifts on the 1/8th mile track..

#15 ·
Since I can't see the pic (attachment doesn't work?), I'm not sure of which ball bearing we are talking about here. Since we are not opening up the VB, there should be any ballbearing/spring....unless you're talking about that check valve ??
I'm sure it opened up for others, not sure why it doesn't for you? Try another PC?
Yes, I meant the check valve spring and metal ball. It's pretty small, but you'll see it..

#12 ·
Jbros, I think you have convinced me to give this a whirl. Thank you for the post, your time and effort are much appreciated. This is what makes the forums great. The help that you can get from one another. Very cool for Jbros to take his time and give a detailed rundown on how to do a project.

I will be in contact with the seller of this mod very shortly. This is gonna be fun!

Reactions: jbroas
#14 ·
Thanks, I was involved with 5 installs, I've helped many other Tundra Brothers, glad to help you too. Did you get the photos to open up? It shows up on both my PC and Droid..
Chris Walton knows I always promote his VBShiftKit, so pls tell him what I did for him here. Thx
Jim

#16 ·
Jbros, I was not able to get the pictures to pull up on either of my pc's. Not a big deal, I get this idea of what you are talking about in each description.

#17 ·
Really, wow.. I'll retry it again tonight..
I have a new desk top with a SS HD, its blazing Fast.... I'm not use to the new screen and I actually erased the first post I made..so I did something wrong.. it took an hour to post that... Yawn!!!-LOL

#19 ·
I would say Yes, you are talking about your Valve Body. . Fluid has to be 100% clean too. Borrow one from a friend/ mechanic. I'm sure you know somebody. .
The "wrist torque feel" would probably be okay, but given the chance to prepare 100% before the install is best to do..

#21 ·
Here is a Torque wrench from Amazon, it is in inch pounds, $39

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24320-4-Inch-Torque-20-200-Inch/dp/B00C5ZL2EG/ref=sr_1_2?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1412796215&sr=1-2&keywords=torque+wrench[/ame]

Reactions: jbroas
#23 ·
Well that is my current issue now. My truck only has 15K on it, and I don't want to jeopardize my warranty, but at the same time, I have already installed the Hypertech, done the leveling kit, purchased the BAmuffler budget setup (just waiting now), so I am wanting to knock it out. Either way, I am going to probably purchase the shift kit, and install or wait, but I am going to get it ordered shortly.

#24 ·
Unless the dealership removes your Valve Body, it would be highly unlikely that they would know you had modified it. Of course it would shift Faster and Firmer, but I highly doubt that they would even mention it if you had say an oil change. Worse case scenario is IF your service involved your VB/Transmission with an issue, you can always put your stock plastic accumulators back on and remove the pins before bringing it in.. I had my driveshaft replaced under warranty, I was worried that they would question me and they didnt..

Reactions: randomwalk101
#25 ·
Jbroas, you bring up a good point. I guess what the stealerships don't know, won't kill em... I do want a firmer shift though, for sure. I turned off the nannies, threw it in tow, and the truck was snappy as hell, but it shifted like a turd!

#26 ·
So I ordered the shift kit this afternoon. Texted Chris, and everything has been handle, hopefully have the kit here later this week. I ordered the Torque wrench and tranny assy goo from Amazon. I will pick up the fluid this week, along with a new cordless 3/8 impact wrench. So if all goes well, this time next week, I should have everything installed..... We shall see.

#28 ·
The impact wrench is what I call collateral damage. Whenever I do projects around the house or to the vehicles, I always buy extra tools, whether for this job or not. I am a tool guy, I may not need it right now, but I will someday!

Reactions: randomwalk101
#31 ·
I have received all my tools for the job, just waiting for the kit to arrive. Hopefully by next Friday, I will get it in. The Friday after that, would sure be nice to receive the BaMuffler budget setup, and get that installed. I should be done with mods until my tires wear out. We shall see. I will post up when the shift kit arrives and try to get some pics out.

#36 ·
I have received my shift kit today. I will be installing this on Friday, so hopefully everything will go fine and I can report back some good news.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.