Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

TRD Supercharger issue?

6K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  BlaineAtk 
#1 ·
I recently bought an 08 CM with the TRD Supercharger and am wondering if I am experiencing issues with the belt slipping. Along with this being my first truck...I have never had a forced induction vehicle before so I'm not sure where to begin to diagnose the problem.

When I get on it from a standstill the truck pulls nice and hard like it should until about 5k then it's like the traction control kicks in and I lose power. I have read about turning all the "nannies" off and pretty much drive with them off at all times. I do not have wheel spin and the traction light does not flash.

Can any Supercharged member chime in and provide insight?

Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
It's possible that it's slipping. Check your belt for what looks like burn marks. I had a shift kit installed and that made my belt slip pretty much at every shift but it was a loud chirp that was pretty obvious

The computer also pulls timing and fuel before shifts so it takes some strain off the transmission.

What gears is this happening in? Only first or second?

Also, is your truck lifted? Could need a "zero point calibration" to re-calibrate the TCS so that it doesn't freak out and cut power

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#5 · (Edited)
I will take a look at the belt and see what I can find. It seams to happen in just first and second. Now that I'm thinking about it.....I don't hear the SC whine when it is happening. Only when I regain power. I do have a 2 inch level. There is no harm in doing the Zero Point Calibration, so I guess I should do it before looking at a new belt or any other issues?

Thanks for the input.

#8 ·
It doesn't sound traction control or like a belt slip issue. I had that happen and first time it was still cool and the other just felt like timing got pulled before a shift and it took a bit longer than normal. Good luck.

#10 · (Edited)
the first trd calibration for the s/c software had a cold temperature snag that would do that depending on motor and outside temp(iirc somewhere around 50*)
the 2nd calibration fixed it but nailing it when cold will trigger a mil so motor has to be at certain temp(not sure what temp threshold is though).
you may want to check which calibration you're running seeing the age of your truck it could still be running the 1st calibration?
if so,a dealer can update it .if your truck doesn't have the speed limited then you have the 1st.
if you still suspect belt slip,buy gatorback belt 4081124 8pk2855.

#11 ·
Your stating a loss of power at 5k while shifting from 1-2. Is it more of a "hang" just before shifting to 3rd? I missed the 1-2 shift part where mine occurred shifting 3-4 at WOT. Does it happen all the time?
As stated above check the simple things first. Belt slip would have dust around the SC and glazing on the belt. Anytime I change the stance of my truck I do the "ZPC". Timing could be pulled as fuel ratio is at top of the MAP. Condition of the spark plugs?

#12 ·
Do you know if you are running a smaller pulley? Then you will have some belt slip but it usually makes sound when slipping...if so use the gatorback belt.

#13 ·
Are you sure you are doing the right procedure to turn off all your nannies. If you only press the button once, the truck will fall on its face during a hard acceleration from stop.

Minor belt slipping will not be noticeable power wise.

#14 ·
Thanks for all the ideas...who knew there were so many things to check on?

I had the dealership look the truck over prior to purchase and spark plugs were replaced and any other maintenance was done prior to purchase. So I think it is safe to eliminate the spark plugs.

I am running the TRD OEM pulley..so that's is not it.

Checked the belt last night...no signs of slipping

The previous owner showed me how to turn off ALL nannies.

**update. After a quick search, I might not be turning all nannies off. I was told to hold "the button for 3 seconds to turn all off. However, it sounds like on the 08' I need to press it again one more time for 3 seconds** Is that correct?

I will play with the nannies tonight (don't tell my wife...hahah) if that does not do it I will try the ZPC and go from there.

#16 ·
Yes, On the 07 and I believe half way through 08 you have to press it twice for trac control off. One press brings you to Alsd: brakes the wheel to get other spinning and still have yaw sensors to bring you back in line. Second press hold for 4-5 seconds: All Off. Hope it's something simple as that.

How your stating the problem still seems to be a "hang" before shifting. If it were traction control you will have wheel spin and possible alarm beeping that trac control is engaged.

#19 ·
Under "normal" circumstances I would have had to pay. But I was able to get them to do it for free. Long story short....part of the pre-purchase inspection that I did pay for was to ensure that everything on the truck was up to snuff. I was able to make the case for the software not being up to date as something that was overlooked.

However, they still will not turn off the seatbelt chime! It drives me crazy.

#20 · (Edited)
I'm glad it was an easy fix.

There's a chance there's a fellow TT member in your area that's got TechStream, and is able to make the seat belt, lighting, alarm, etc changes for you.

When my truck was in for the parking brake backing plate rubbing issue, I asked them if they'd disable it, but they said they're not allowed to due to safety reasons. I got a a TechStream setup so I can make the changes myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.