LinkBack Thread Tools
#61 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbroas View Post
Weight is definitely a factor. My VB Shift Kit shifts hard at 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th.. even with 4 people in it.. I was wondering about your tranny fluid level. Maybe that's a possible reason for the bad shifts?
When I did mine, I measured every drop when I swapped out the VB. I had exactly 8 quarts that eventually drained.. and I had to slowly add the new fluid back. (You did use new WS fluid right?) That tow button thingy (forgot the name) had to be pushed in and locked. Added first at 3 quarts, then I kept running the stick shift through all the gears, then added another quart .. repeated that while checking the fluid level then finally leveled off at exactly 8 quarts. How many quarts did you put back in?. If you have a low level, that could be your bad shift issue.. or could also be a bad shift solenoid..?
I added 8 3/4qt's back in, everything fell in an oil bucket. I used the one from Toyota and whenever I pumped the old oil back in the bottles it filled up ~8 1/4qt's. But considering all the oil that spilled that made up for the other .5qt's.
I'm thinking it's due to not having the TRD-Reflash

2011 FFV Tundra Limited: SuperCharged (TRD Forged 22"s, Lucchese, ASP pulley, Valve Body, DT Long Tubes, TRD Swaybar, Deleted all cats, AEM F/IC-8 Tuned, Dual e-cutouts)
2006 Silverado 5.3 (76mm Turbo,Cam 216/220, AEM TruBoost, AEM Wideband, Built 4l80e, Dual springs, Bosch 60# injectors, Aeromotive 340, AEM Meth injection... Boost is at 12psi on meth) Tuned by TELLEZ
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TRD_Tundra For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (01-05-2013), RedBullistic (01-06-2013), wacked (01-05-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Its the weight of the truck, boost and now small tires. My tire with street tires on it won't miss shift, but put the radials on and 2nd to 3rd miss shifts aka... rev limiter shifts. If. you watch BRX and Supercharge's vids you can hear it on theres every now and then. It's just not yours doing. Different size race tires will do the job.

2008 DC Tundra, Spoolin Stage 1 Turbo Kit (INSTALLED), Devils Own Stage 1 Meth Kit, Spoolin Valve body Shift Kit, Auburn LSD, OBX long tube headers, 3" Flowmaster Super Series 10 Muffler, Deleted all cats and Nitto drag radials.

1/8 mile- ?
1/4 mile- ?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jray For This Useful Post:
#63 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 07:45 PM
BRX
Premium Member

Thanked 2,367 Times in 1,050 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_Tundra View Post
I'm thinking it's due to not having the TRD-Reflash
You would be thinking right. When we installed the Supercharger on a 4x4 2012 DC back in Dubai, we choose the cheap option of using the unichip without the TRD flash. It shifted like yours did. The shifts you are experiencing isn't like the ones a shift kit would produce and is by far worse than with only the smooth shift of the TRD flash.

We solved this problem by simply installing the TRD flash. That's where your problem is (being a Flex Fuel).

You have two options that I could think of:

1- Tune the transmission using a stand alone like you did the engine.

2- Or, replace all the ECU components with a non-flex fuel Tundra's. That would include an ECU, a matching complete harness, and a matching key fob. If any of those don't match with each other, the engine won't start and the ECU would go into theft mode disabling the fuel pump. This would have costed us more than $1500 in Dubai including labor, and only one shop was willing to do it.

The reason I know about this, is because we were not able to install the TRD flash on the truck at first. We used an 08 ECU that was laying around and we were able to flash it but the truck wouldn't start (ECU not matching the key and harness). Which made us think the 2012 ECU we have isn't programmable.

That's when we went to the other shop to reprogram the 08 ECU into thinking it was a 2012 by changing the VIN number on it. Before the guy at the shop could start reprogramming, we figured out that +2010 Tundra's use the 'G' security system which any of you with a +2010 Tundra will find carved at the lower part of the key. All other Tundra's (2007 - 2009) will find a small dot instead. So he told us to replace the whole ECU harness with an 08 or it won't work seeing that the 'G' system doesn't accept donor ECU no matter what.

After all that trouble, we tried another shop that offers the TRD reflash as we thought the previous guy who tried to do it had an outdated programmer or something... and it worked! lol simple as that.

In short, Stand alone trans or a completely new ECU system from a non-flex fuel. Hope this helped

'07 2WD RCSB 5.7L Tundra
TRD SC, Haltech EMS, ASP All Pulleys, Spoolin Shift Kit, Walbro 485 FP, ID1000cc Injectors, AIRAID CAI, Hayden Transmission Cooler, Ranger E-Fan
JBA Long Tube Headers, True-Dual 3" BAMufflers & Mid-pipes
TRD Sway Bar, Belltech 442SP, Caltracs Drag Profile Traction Bars
TRD Forged 22" W/ Hankook Ventus ST RH06, Pro Comp 16" W/ M&H Cheater Slicks
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BRX For This Useful Post:
aanolo (01-06-2013), jray (01-05-2013), Mr. Creosote (01-05-2013), RedBullistic (01-06-2013), TRD_Tundra (01-05-2013), wacked (01-05-2013)
#64 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 08:02 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRX View Post
You would be thinking right. When we installed the Supercharger on a 4x4 2012 DC back in Dubai, we choose the cheap option of using the unichip without the TRD flash. It shifted like yours did. The shifts you are experiencing isn't like the ones a shift kit would produce and is by far worse than with only the smooth shift of the TRD flash.

We solved this problem by simply installing the TRD flash. That's where your problem is (being a Flex Fuel).

You have two options that I could think of:

1- Tune the transmission using a stand alone like you did the engine.

2- Or, replace all the ECU components with a non-flex fuel Tundra's. That would include an ECU, a matching complete harness, and a matching key fob. If any of those don't match with each other, the engine won't start and the ECU would go into theft mode disabling the fuel pump. This would have costed us more than $1500 in Dubai including labor, and only one shop was willing to do it.

The reason I know about this, is because we were not able to install the TRD flash on the truck at first. We used an 08 ECU that was laying around and we were able to flash it but the truck wouldn't start (ECU not matching the key and harness). Which made us think the 2012 ECU we have isn't programmable.

That's when we went to the other shop to reprogram the 08 ECU into thinking it was a 2012 by changing the VIN number on it. Before the guy at the shop could start reprogramming, we figured out that +2010 Tundra's use the 'G' security system which any of you with a +2010 Tundra will find carved at the lower part of the key. All other Tundra's (2007 - 2009) will find a small dot instead. So he told us to replace the whole ECU harness with an 08 or it won't work seeing that the 'G' system doesn't accept donor ECU no matter what.

After all that trouble, we tried another shop that offers the TRD reflash as we thought the previous guy who tried to do it had an outdated programmer or something... and it worked! lol simple as that.

In short, Stand alone trans or a completely new ECU system from a non-flex fuel. Hope this helped
Wait if I read this correctly you never changed the harness for a matching one and only changed the computer for a flashable one?

Isn't both the PCM and TCM both in the same box? Because if the transmission is unplugged I don't think it'll play well. The guy that swapped the 5.7 to a 1st gen used this TCM
Powertrain Control Solutions - TCM-2000

2011 FFV Tundra Limited: SuperCharged (TRD Forged 22"s, Lucchese, ASP pulley, Valve Body, DT Long Tubes, TRD Swaybar, Deleted all cats, AEM F/IC-8 Tuned, Dual e-cutouts)
2006 Silverado 5.3 (76mm Turbo,Cam 216/220, AEM TruBoost, AEM Wideband, Built 4l80e, Dual springs, Bosch 60# injectors, Aeromotive 340, AEM Meth injection... Boost is at 12psi on meth) Tuned by TELLEZ
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TRD_Tundra For This Useful Post:
#65 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 08:12 PM
BRX
Premium Member

Thanked 2,367 Times in 1,050 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Wait if I read this correctly you never changed the harness for a matching one and only changed the computer for a flashable one?

Isn't both the PCM and TCM both in the same box? Because if the transmission is unplugged I don't think it'll play well. The guy that swapped the 5.7 to a 1st gen used this TCM
Powertrain Control Solutions - TCM-2000
Sorry if that wasn't clear, but we used the same 2012 ECU that came with the truck. The first shop wasn't able to flash it which caused this whole theory that the factory ECU that came with the truck isn't reflashable for some reason. But the second shop we went to was able to reflash it.

If you want to simply swap for another ECU, your best chance is with a 2011 one or at least a +2010. A 2007 - 2009 ECU will never work with an +2010 harness and key or in other words a 'G' ECU system.

Just to confirm my theory, can you check if you have a small 'G' curved on your key? if not, a 2007 - 2009 ECU might work...

'07 2WD RCSB 5.7L Tundra
TRD SC, Haltech EMS, ASP All Pulleys, Spoolin Shift Kit, Walbro 485 FP, ID1000cc Injectors, AIRAID CAI, Hayden Transmission Cooler, Ranger E-Fan
JBA Long Tube Headers, True-Dual 3" BAMufflers & Mid-pipes
TRD Sway Bar, Belltech 442SP, Caltracs Drag Profile Traction Bars
TRD Forged 22" W/ Hankook Ventus ST RH06, Pro Comp 16" W/ M&H Cheater Slicks
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BRX For This Useful Post:
jray (01-05-2013), Mr. Creosote (01-05-2013), RedBullistic (01-06-2013), wacked (01-05-2013)
#66 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 12:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I had M/T Street Radials, it didn't hop with those.
This is my issue... Baytown Meet Runs: Tundra VS R/T and Silverado's
shoot to me it looks like youre runnin bro!! all three clips were with 4 passengers? thats crazy.. i want something similar to that and id be hyped just running around here in my city, not a real racer but i do like to go FAST lol. what would i need to make my SC set-up most efficient?

2010 Platinum CrewMax Black
5.7L V8 4x4 FlexFuel
AMP Power Running Boards
3/1 Daystar Leveling Kit
KMC Skitch 22s
Yokohama Parada Spec X tires
Corsa Sport Exhaust
Rhino Spray on Liner
LazerLite Tonneau Cover
Remote Start
All windows 5% Tint, Windshield 35%
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aanolo For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (01-06-2013), wacked (01-06-2013)
#67 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Rut

Thanked 1,119 Times in 527 Posts
Start with dumping those mud tires
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rut For This Useful Post:
aanolo (01-06-2013), Mr. Creosote (01-06-2013), RedBullistic (01-06-2013), wacked (01-06-2013)
#68 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rut View Post
Start with dumping those mud tires
I'm actually in the process of buying new tires.. My thing is I might want to go w a wider rim. Do you know what the widest rims we can run w/o rubbing? What about leveling kit? If I can keep it I want to..

2010 Platinum CrewMax Black
5.7L V8 4x4 FlexFuel
AMP Power Running Boards
3/1 Daystar Leveling Kit
KMC Skitch 22s
Yokohama Parada Spec X tires
Corsa Sport Exhaust
Rhino Spray on Liner
LazerLite Tonneau Cover
Remote Start
All windows 5% Tint, Windshield 35%
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aanolo For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (01-06-2013), wacked (01-14-2013)
#69 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 3,600 Times in 1,685 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sparks has been boosting FF tundras for years now. Why isn't anyone talking to them ?

2008 Tundra 5.7L RCSB 2wd Supercharged, IPT Valvebody, Auburn LSD, BAm custom exhaust, Sequoia sway bar, custom air box mod, ....and a bunch of other crap

New England Tundra Club Member #2

The measure of a man is what he does with power ~ Plato
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RIjon For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (01-06-2013), pdizzle (03-01-2013), wacked (01-14-2013)
#70 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 09:41 AM

Thanked 1,585 Times in 619 Posts
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRX View Post
Sorry if that wasn't clear, but we used the same 2012 ECU that came with the truck. The first shop wasn't able to flash it which caused this whole theory that the factory ECU that came with the truck isn't reflashable for some reason. But the second shop we went to was able to reflash it.

If you want to simply swap for another ECU, your best chance is with a 2011 one or at least a +2010. A 2007 - 2009 ECU will never work with an +2010 harness and key or in other words a 'G' ECU system.

Just to confirm my theory, can you check if you have a small 'G' curved on your key? if not, a 2007 - 2009 ECU might work...
Man I knew you guys would get it figured out if you were persistent enough, I tried to help as I did a lot of research for you and I am certain you could of just bought the mongoose cable and the two day subscription to TIS, but there is more than one way to skin a cat. The flex fuel dilemma is killing me, someone try to swapping in the appropriate non flex fuel ECU that has the appropriate TRD supporting tune on it that is on the TRD instruction list and up load the TRD tune. Someone at work that has the supercharged Tundra told me that Bully dog had something for the truck but I knew better but I checked any how and it was a no go, just some type of monitor.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to texasranger96 For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (01-07-2013), wacked (01-14-2013)
#71 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Non Flex fuel stuff

Hey if it would help I have an entire Non-Flex Fuel Toyota Tundra 2007, complete matching engine, interior and body wiring harness, ECU coded key, throttle pedal, fuse boxes and all that I am not using anymore. I would make someone a deal on everything.

Let me know.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mailhot For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (01-14-2013), wacked (01-14-2013)

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.