Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Aerodynamics,engine load,drag coefficient

8K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  rangerbrown 
#1 ·
Been reading the forums a lot about increasing mpg, but has anyone experimented with ways to reduce drag coefficient, engine load or increasing aerodynamics? Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com has some pretty drastic things to do... But id rather look cool. A few ideas that doesn't seem too bad is belly pan, reducing grill opening or possibly a rear spoiler on tailgate... Similar to dodge,ford and Chevy has on there tailgate. Thanks in advance

#2 ·
I experimented with that. I put 4" of lift in the front and only 1 inch in the back and it seems to bulldog just about a 1/2" to an inch in the front. My MPG decreased by 1.5. Adding larger heavier tires then decreased it another .75 - 1mpg. I am very happy with my results of 13.5 mpg average. It looks very pretty ! lol

#4 · (Edited)
Aluminum TRD skid plate, maybe. It smooths out the lower air dam to crossmember area a bit and could smooth out airflow under the truck. I'll check my hwy mpg if I ever get enough hardware together to bolt mine on. A lot of those ecomodder people swear by rear belly pans to get rid of the parachute at the rear bumper fascia. I joined ecomodder for their Scangauge discount code about 2 years ago. I don't think I ever posted.

I fold my "dumbo" mirrors in for racing. One of the guys over there did a before and after run using his scangauge and his mpg increased with the mirrors removed/folded.

#5 ·
#6 · (Edited)
The best for me is using the best synthetic motor oil. A new air filter. Correct air pressure in tires. A bed cap of some sort and a light right foot. You will push 17 mgp easy in normal driving conditions, keep speeds between 60- 65 and 19mpg is fairly standard. I have not hit 20 mpg yet, I believe it is possible, just not in snow / winter.

I run my tire pressure lower in the winter for driving on ice. Kills mileage.

#7 ·
back when i was stock on the hwy at 50-60 i got on avg 22-23
now with the 33's small lift and the huge bumper i see at best 15.5 on the hwy

these 33 12.5 20 rockstar xd 0 off set tire/wheel combo is plus 60lbs on every corner.
the stock steel wheels and tires were only 70 lbs each.

i have been thinking about geting a set of stock 20's to run the 33's on as the 20's i have now are an ez 60bls each look good but just to much weight.

this is the main reason why i only use the truck to haul the bike or take long trips.
normal every day stuff i just use my bike. but its not much better at 25-30mpg (1000cc sport bike).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.