User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How much to install headers?

I have a TRD dual exhaust and just got an AFE cold air intake put in. I am thinking of getting some OBX headers next. A couple of questions I had: How much will it cost for installation? How much more hp do you think I will get since I already have a CAI and exhaust?

2007 Toyota Tundra DC
MOTOMetal/MickeyThompson/Pioneer TouchScreen w/Bluetooth/HID/TRD Exhaust/AFE CAI/Remote Start-Alarm/Infinity Kappa Components(front)/old skool Soundstream Reference Midbass(rear)Kicker Amp/Rockford Fosgate Punch Stage 3 12" sub/Custom Sub Enclosure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 03:15 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 3,298 Times in 1,414 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I had shop price quotes ranging from $600-$1K..
#3 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash007 View Post
I have a TRD dual exhaust and just got an AFE cold air intake put in. I am thinking of getting some OBX headers next. A couple of questions I had: How much will it cost for installation? How much more hp do you think I will get since I already have a CAI and exhaust?
$99.00, go to sears and buy a 250 piece mechanic tool set and start ripping into your truck. Hardest part would be the upper part of the manifold but simple install with basic hand tools. The $99 quote is assuming you have a jack and jack stands, and remember don't cross/mix up your O2's sensors

2011 Tundra Crew Max
#4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 11:51 AM

Thanked 2,126 Times in 831 Posts
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbroas View Post
I had shop price quotes ranging from $600-$1K..
Did you ask the guy giving you those numbers to share some of the sh*t he's been smoking

The Following User Says Thank You to 1stYoda For This Useful Post:
SLAT3 (12-12-2011)
#5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 3,298 Times in 1,414 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stYoda View Post
Did you ask the guy giving you those numbers to share some of the sh*t he's been smoking
I called 4 different shops.. They all must have been smoking the same stuff..
The Following User Says Thank You to jbroas For This Useful Post:
SLAT3 (12-12-2011)
#6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 02:06 PM
"The Antagonizer"
Premium Member

Thanked 20,671 Times in 7,547 Posts
Garage
Adding the headers will definitely give you more power and growl with your intake and exhaust. Btw, if you run OBX Long Tube Headers you will have to remove your front cat converters and install a set of URD o2 simulators in place of the front cat converters.

"Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue The other ones got a rattlesnake with a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave"

https://www.facebook.com/Bigblacktundra
BTCM46
TWACCM113
The Following User Says Thank You to JOSH 5.7 For This Useful Post:
crash007 (12-19-2011)
#7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 03:30 PM

ill do it for ya, you just have to come to vegas install will prob be 350 or so
The Following User Says Thank You to vegascrewmax For This Useful Post:
jbroas (12-11-2011)
#8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 10,475 Times in 4,065 Posts
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Installed my long tube headers today. Started at 8am and had the headers on by 12:30without air tools. I stopped to eat a sandwich, too. The rest of the day was spent trying to hack up my old down pipes so I could reposition the cats and retain the downstream O2 sensors. About 2 hours into it, I gave up on doing that at home and began filling that void with open pipe. I'll gather my cats and O2 sensors and have a shop with a lift do it for me. I HATE paying someone else to work on my stuff, but I can't bend or swell pipe at home...and welding on my back is more of a pain than I remembered.
I was quoted $400-$500 to have them installed. Remember, in Ca we are asking the people to break some serious laws by installing these. I don't blame shops for asking $1000 to install a part that could cost them $20K+ in fines.

If you're not incredibly patient, be ready for some cussin, cuz these rate pretty high on the PITA scale.

Oh, the Corsa Sport with long tube headers and no cats is FRIGGIN INSANELY LOUD!!!

Last edited by socal57chevy; 12-11-2011 at 12:07 AM. Reason: add note
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to socal57chevy For This Useful Post:
jbroas (12-11-2011), JOSH 5.7 (12-11-2011), ronaldjay (12-11-2011), SLAT3 (12-12-2011), wacked (12-11-2011)
#9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 5,086 Times in 1,693 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal57chevy View Post
Installed my long tube headers today. Started at 8am and had the headers on by 12:30without air tools. I stopped to eat a sandwich, too. The rest of the day was spent trying to hack up my old down pipes so I could reposition the cats and retain the downstream O2 sensors. About 2 hours into it, I gave up on doing that at home and began filling that void with open pipe. I'll gather my cats and O2 sensors and have a shop with a lift do it for me. I HATE paying someone else to work on my stuff, but I can't bend or swell pipe at home...and welding on my back is more of a pain than I remembered.
I was quoted $400-$500 to have them installed. Remember, in Ca we are asking the people to break some serious laws by installing these. I don't blame shops for asking $1000 to install a part that could cost them $20K+ in fines.

If you're not incredibly patient, be ready for some cussin, cuz these rate pretty high on the PITA scale.

Oh, the Corsa Sport with long tube headers and no cats is FRIGGIN INSANELY LOUD!!!
NICE!!!!! Sound clips???

2007 Salsa Red Crewmax Limeted
Born in TEXAS built by TEXANS
aFe Stage II Pro-S Dry Si
Corsa Sport Single Cat Back Exhaust
The Following User Says Thank You to wacked For This Useful Post:
socal57chevy (12-11-2011)
#10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacked View Post
NICE!!!!! Sound clips???
I'll see what I can do. I definitely don't like the noise.
#11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 09:51 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSH 5.7 View Post
Adding the headers will definitely give you more power and growl with your intake and exhaust. Btw, if you run OBX Long Tube Headers you will have to remove your front cat converters and install a set of URD o2 simulators in place of the front cat converters.
Do you have to have a cat for it to be legal? Where would you recommend I get this done at? Also, what kind of gains do you think I will get? Right now I have an AFE CAI and TRD dual exhaust. I won't be able to afford turbo until it is paid off or close to being paid off, so I am trying to look for other alternatives. Lastly, should I get a shop to tune it after headers? I read mix reviews on tuning. I have also read to expect 24hp for the headers, but is that a realistic number? If so, it is so worth getting. I thought the CAI was worth the $$. The TRD came with the truck (lucky for me)!

2007 Toyota Tundra DC
MOTOMetal/MickeyThompson/Pioneer TouchScreen w/Bluetooth/HID/TRD Exhaust/AFE CAI/Remote Start-Alarm/Infinity Kappa Components(front)/old skool Soundstream Reference Midbass(rear)Kicker Amp/Rockford Fosgate Punch Stage 3 12" sub/Custom Sub Enclosure
#12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash007 View Post
Do you have to have a cat for it to be legal? Where would you recommend I get this done at? Also, what kind of gains do you think I will get? Right now I have an AFE CAI and TRD dual exhaust. I won't be able to afford turbo until it is paid off or close to being paid off, so I am trying to look for other alternatives. Lastly, should I get a shop to tune it after headers? I read mix reviews on tuning. I have also read to expect 24hp for the headers, but is that a realistic number? If so, it is so worth getting. I thought the CAI was worth the $$. The TRD came with the truck (lucky for me)!
Not only do you have to have a cat, but tampering with them in any way is a crime. If you're worried about legality you should not do it.

Shop depends on where you live. A lot of shops in my area won't even talk to you if it's got a license plate on it. Removing cats is serious crap in Ca.

There is no tuning unless you add a unichip or URD MAF recalibrator. Neither does much after installing the headers.

24hp is a max gain usually at peak hp and WOT, but that's not where we usually drive. You'll notice gains across the spectrum. (at least I have) Increased part throttle low to mid rpm power is very noticeable. Stabbing it to pass someone is downright fun. Short of adding a S/C, I'd say it's the best power mod out there.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to socal57chevy For This Useful Post:
jbroas (12-19-2011), renzo (12-25-2011), wacked (12-19-2011)

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Performance Modifications