How much to install headers? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
TundraTalk.net now has a Photo Gallery available to all users. Upload your photos today!
Toyota Tundra Header Background Toyota Tundra Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

Go Back   TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Performance Modifications
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Gameroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

TundraTalk.net is the premier Toyota Tundra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 12:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
crash007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 87
Thanks: 1
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
iTrader: (0)
How much to install headers?

I have a TRD dual exhaust and just got an AFE cold air intake put in. I am thinking of getting some OBX headers next. A couple of questions I had: How much will it cost for installation? How much more hp do you think I will get since I already have a CAI and exhaust?
__________________
2007 Toyota Tundra DC
MOTOMetal/MickeyThompson/Pioneer TouchScreen w/Bluetooth/HID/TRD Exhaust/AFE CAI/Remote Start-Alarm/Infinity Kappa Components(front)/old skool Soundstream Reference Midbass(rear)Kicker Amp/Rockford Fosgate Punch Stage 3 12" sub/Custom Sub Enclosure
crash007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-10-2011, 03:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
jbroas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,527
Thanks: 2,511
Thanked 3,192 Times in 1,338 Posts
iTrader: (1)
I had shop price quotes ranging from $600-$1K..
jbroas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 200
Thanks: 18
Thanked 261 Times in 133 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash007 View Post
I have a TRD dual exhaust and just got an AFE cold air intake put in. I am thinking of getting some OBX headers next. A couple of questions I had: How much will it cost for installation? How much more hp do you think I will get since I already have a CAI and exhaust?
$99.00, go to sears and buy a 250 piece mechanic tool set and start ripping into your truck. Hardest part would be the upper part of the manifold but simple install with basic hand tools. The $99 quote is assuming you have a jack and jack stands, and remember don't cross/mix up your O2's sensors
__________________
2011 Tundra Crew Max
Brandon619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
1stYoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Montana
Posts: 1,688
Thanks: 916
Thanked 2,123 Times in 829 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbroas View Post
I had shop price quotes ranging from $600-$1K..
Did you ask the guy giving you those numbers to share some of the sh*t he's been smoking
__________________
1stYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1stYoda For This Useful Post:
SLAT3 (12-12-2011)
Old 12-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
jbroas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,527
Thanks: 2,511
Thanked 3,192 Times in 1,338 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stYoda View Post
Did you ask the guy giving you those numbers to share some of the sh*t he's been smoking
I called 4 different shops.. They all must have been smoking the same stuff..
jbroas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbroas For This Useful Post:
SLAT3 (12-12-2011)
Old 12-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
"The Antagonizer"
Premium Member
 
JOSH 5.7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: IN/FL
Posts: 12,143
Thanks: 16,388
Thanked 20,668 Times in 7,545 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Garage
Adding the headers will definitely give you more power and growl with your intake and exhaust. Btw, if you run OBX Long Tube Headers you will have to remove your front cat converters and install a set of URD o2 simulators in place of the front cat converters.
__________________

"Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue The other ones got a rattlesnake with a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave"

https://www.facebook.com/Bigblacktundra
BTCM46
TWACCM113
JOSH 5.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JOSH 5.7 For This Useful Post:
crash007 (12-19-2011)
Old 12-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
iTrader: (0)
ill do it for ya, you just have to come to vegas install will prob be 350 or so
vegascrewmax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vegascrewmax For This Useful Post:
jbroas (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 12:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
socal57chevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: O-side, Ca / KCMO
Posts: 4,922
Thanks: 24,558
Thanked 10,463 Times in 4,064 Posts
iTrader: (15)
Installed my long tube headers today. Started at 8am and had the headers on by 12:30without air tools. I stopped to eat a sandwich, too. The rest of the day was spent trying to hack up my old down pipes so I could reposition the cats and retain the downstream O2 sensors. About 2 hours into it, I gave up on doing that at home and began filling that void with open pipe. I'll gather my cats and O2 sensors and have a shop with a lift do it for me. I HATE paying someone else to work on my stuff, but I can't bend or swell pipe at home...and welding on my back is more of a pain than I remembered.
I was quoted $400-$500 to have them installed. Remember, in Ca we are asking the people to break some serious laws by installing these. I don't blame shops for asking $1000 to install a part that could cost them $20K+ in fines.

If you're not incredibly patient, be ready for some cussin, cuz these rate pretty high on the PITA scale.

Oh, the Corsa Sport with long tube headers and no cats is FRIGGIN INSANELY LOUD!!!

Last edited by socal57chevy; 12-11-2011 at 12:07 AM. Reason: add note
socal57chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to socal57chevy For This Useful Post:
jbroas (12-11-2011), JOSH 5.7 (12-11-2011), ronaldjay (12-11-2011), SLAT3 (12-12-2011), wacked (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
wacked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Richmond,TX
Posts: 1,901
Thanks: 44,412
Thanked 4,914 Times in 1,586 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal57chevy View Post
Installed my long tube headers today. Started at 8am and had the headers on by 12:30without air tools. I stopped to eat a sandwich, too. The rest of the day was spent trying to hack up my old down pipes so I could reposition the cats and retain the downstream O2 sensors. About 2 hours into it, I gave up on doing that at home and began filling that void with open pipe. I'll gather my cats and O2 sensors and have a shop with a lift do it for me. I HATE paying someone else to work on my stuff, but I can't bend or swell pipe at home...and welding on my back is more of a pain than I remembered.
I was quoted $400-$500 to have them installed. Remember, in Ca we are asking the people to break some serious laws by installing these. I don't blame shops for asking $1000 to install a part that could cost them $20K+ in fines.

If you're not incredibly patient, be ready for some cussin, cuz these rate pretty high on the PITA scale.

Oh, the Corsa Sport with long tube headers and no cats is FRIGGIN INSANELY LOUD!!!
NICE!!!!! Sound clips???
__________________
2007 Salsa Red Crewmax Limeted
Born in TEXAS built by TEXANS
aFe Stage II Pro-S Dry Si
Corsa Sport Single Cat Back Exhaust
wacked is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wacked For This Useful Post:
socal57chevy (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
socal57chevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: O-side, Ca / KCMO
Posts: 4,922
Thanks: 24,558
Thanked 10,463 Times in 4,064 Posts
iTrader: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacked View Post
NICE!!!!! Sound clips???
I'll see what I can do. I definitely don't like the noise.
socal57chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
crash007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 87
Thanks: 1
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSH 5.7 View Post
Adding the headers will definitely give you more power and growl with your intake and exhaust. Btw, if you run OBX Long Tube Headers you will have to remove your front cat converters and install a set of URD o2 simulators in place of the front cat converters.
Do you have to have a cat for it to be legal? Where would you recommend I get this done at? Also, what kind of gains do you think I will get? Right now I have an AFE CAI and TRD dual exhaust. I won't be able to afford turbo until it is paid off or close to being paid off, so I am trying to look for other alternatives. Lastly, should I get a shop to tune it after headers? I read mix reviews on tuning. I have also read to expect 24hp for the headers, but is that a realistic number? If so, it is so worth getting. I thought the CAI was worth the $$. The TRD came with the truck (lucky for me)!
__________________
2007 Toyota Tundra DC
MOTOMetal/MickeyThompson/Pioneer TouchScreen w/Bluetooth/HID/TRD Exhaust/AFE CAI/Remote Start-Alarm/Infinity Kappa Components(front)/old skool Soundstream Reference Midbass(rear)Kicker Amp/Rockford Fosgate Punch Stage 3 12" sub/Custom Sub Enclosure
crash007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
socal57chevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: O-side, Ca / KCMO
Posts: 4,922
Thanks: 24,558
Thanked 10,463 Times in 4,064 Posts
iTrader: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash007 View Post
Do you have to have a cat for it to be legal? Where would you recommend I get this done at? Also, what kind of gains do you think I will get? Right now I have an AFE CAI and TRD dual exhaust. I won't be able to afford turbo until it is paid off or close to being paid off, so I am trying to look for other alternatives. Lastly, should I get a shop to tune it after headers? I read mix reviews on tuning. I have also read to expect 24hp for the headers, but is that a realistic number? If so, it is so worth getting. I thought the CAI was worth the $$. The TRD came with the truck (lucky for me)!
Not only do you have to have a cat, but tampering with them in any way is a crime. If you're worried about legality you should not do it.

Shop depends on where you live. A lot of shops in my area won't even talk to you if it's got a license plate on it. Removing cats is serious crap in Ca.

There is no tuning unless you add a unichip or URD MAF recalibrator. Neither does much after installing the headers.

24hp is a max gain usually at peak hp and WOT, but that's not where we usually drive. You'll notice gains across the spectrum. (at least I have) Increased part throttle low to mid rpm power is very noticeable. Stabbing it to pass someone is downright fun. Short of adding a S/C, I'd say it's the best power mod out there.
socal57chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to socal57chevy For This Useful Post:
jbroas (12-19-2011), renzo (12-25-2011), wacked (12-19-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Performance Modifications


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


» Featured Product
Advertisement
» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Copyright 2006-2009, TundraTalk.net. All Rights Reserved.