Magnaflow vs Flow Master on 5.7 Crewmax - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
TundraTalk.net now has a Photo Gallery available to all users. Upload your photos today!
Toyota Tundra Header Background Toyota Tundra Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

Go Back   TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Parts & Accessories
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Gameroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

TundraTalk.net is the premier Toyota Tundra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Priceboi82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Posts: 100
Thanks: 54
Thanked 61 Times in 32 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Question Magnaflow vs Flow Master on 5.7 Crewmax

I don't know if this topic has come up in the past because I am new to the site, but which of the 2 exhaust do you think sounds best on the Crewmax with a 5.7? "Magnaflow or Flow Master" I owned a Dodge before this Tundra and I had he Magnaflow exhauston it with the 5.7 engine. It had a nice deep roar. I've been going back and fwd with the 2 because Flow Master has the "dual out both sides option" and Magnaflow doesn't, but Magnaflow has the "deep" sound I like. Please share your opinions!!!



2010 Tundra Crewmax SR5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG2310.jpg (193.6 KB, 37 views)
Priceboi82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator
Premium Member
 
JCv2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Gunshine State
Posts: 40,386
Gameroom cash: $2238382
Thanks: 5,911
Thanked 30,842 Times in 13,004 Posts
iTrader: (8)
IMO magna flow sounds better but it probably won't sound as good as your hemi.
__________________
I hate being bipolar ....... It's awesome!
JCv2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,501
Thanks: 431
Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,026 Posts
iTrader: (5)
I have a magnaflow 2 in 2 out. Custom made for $300.The Sound is good to me, but I also have a volant cai and it got louder.
30PlusRetlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bocephus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 1,593
Thanks: 4
Thanked 180 Times in 111 Posts
iTrader: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30PlusRetlaw View Post
I have a magnaflow 2 in 2 out. Custom made for $300.The Sound is good to me, but I also have a volant cai and it got louder.
your exhaust got louder because you have an aftermarket air intake?
__________________
2008 DC 4x4 TRD 5.7

305/55/20 Mickey T. ATZs on Ultra Goliaths
305/65/17 Mickey T. ATZs on OEM Rock Warriors
Grill & handles color matched, BHLM
2.4 Ready-Lift, OEM flares, Lorado tonneau, NFab nerfs
6000K,6000K,3000K HIDs, LED tails & 3rd brake
Tekonsha P3, Firestone airbags & Wireless Air Command w/ onboard air, Gibson Catback
Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD
Kicker KX600.1, RF 450.4
Kicker Resolution comps F & R, Kicker 12'' L7

Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator
Premium Member
 
JCv2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Gunshine State
Posts: 40,386
Gameroom cash: $2238382
Thanks: 5,911
Thanked 30,842 Times in 13,004 Posts
iTrader: (8)
Price, have you checked out the exhaust sticky thread in the performance section? Tons of videos in there.
__________________
I hate being bipolar ....... It's awesome!
JCv2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,501
Thanks: 431
Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,026 Posts
iTrader: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus View Post
your exhaust got louder because you have an aftermarket air intake?
Yep. I had the MF for a couple of weeks before I install the Volant. Not only it got louder, I lost bottom end torque also
30PlusRetlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bocephus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 1,593
Thanks: 4
Thanked 180 Times in 111 Posts
iTrader: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30PlusRetlaw View Post
Yep. I had the MF for a couple of weeks before I install the Volant. Not only it got louder, I lost bottom end torque also
your air intake got louder......your exhaust did not get louder
__________________
2008 DC 4x4 TRD 5.7

305/55/20 Mickey T. ATZs on Ultra Goliaths
305/65/17 Mickey T. ATZs on OEM Rock Warriors
Grill & handles color matched, BHLM
2.4 Ready-Lift, OEM flares, Lorado tonneau, NFab nerfs
6000K,6000K,3000K HIDs, LED tails & 3rd brake
Tekonsha P3, Firestone airbags & Wireless Air Command w/ onboard air, Gibson Catback
Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD
Kicker KX600.1, RF 450.4
Kicker Resolution comps F & R, Kicker 12'' L7

Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 104
Thanks: 8
Thanked 63 Times in 34 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus View Post
your air intake got louder......your exhaust did not get louder
I don't know about this situation, but the Magnaflow does get louder all by itself, with or without an intake.
dariusld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,212
Thanks: 44
Thanked 4,949 Times in 2,111 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Alot of these high flow intakes sound like they make the exhaust louder but what happens is they add intake drone to the amplified exhaust note, increasing the overall decibel level in the cab. It's hard to distinguish though so from the driver's seat all you hear is a louder roar.

I don't know if the OP has researched Tundra-specific sound clips, but as a former Dodge owner I can tell you there's a good chance you will be dissapointed with the way systems that really woke up your Dodge sound on the Tundras. The effect of aftermarket exhausts is proportional to how loud the truck is from the factory. Dodge truck engines tend to be louder than anything else out there out of the box so it doesn't take much to really wake them up. The Tundra motor is not quite so easy to wake up. After listening to tons of sound clips the only systems that provide a sound quality I like on a 5.7 Tundra are the Corsa Sport and the Powersticks.

If the routing of the pipes is a worry, realize that a good shop can pretty much get you anything you want there with just some tweaking. You may want to consider just doing a muffler then having the pipes custom bent.


Having heard Flowmaster 40s in person, I was not impressed with the quality of the sound they produced and would probably go Magnaflow before I go Flowmaster. The FM 40 SI/DO setup I heard sounded like an out of balance washing machine, no offense meant to anybody that has them. I have been told that removing resonators can make all the difference with these systems so that's something else you may want to look into.
__________________
"Dude asked me why I bought a Toyota and not a Dodge. I said I used to drive a Dodge, until someone did me a favor and explained to me that the whole front suspension isn't normally supposed to be an annual maintenance item."

Last edited by eharri3; 10-03-2011 at 04:44 PM.
eharri3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Priceboi82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Posts: 100
Thanks: 54
Thanked 61 Times in 32 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCv2.0 View Post
Price, have you checked out the exhaust sticky thread in the performance section? Tons of videos in there.


I went to youtube and looked up a few videos. I'll take a look at the videos on here tonight. I went to a local shop today and the guy quoted me @ $380 for 2 in 2 out and $450 for dual muffles. He also recommended the magnaflow for Tundra. Thanks for the help guy. i'll post pix soon as I get it installed.
Priceboi82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
2010 tundra cm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hawaii, Oahu / Oregon
Posts: 626
Thanks: 5
Thanked 846 Times in 420 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eharri3 View Post
Alot of these high flow intakes sound like they make the exhaust louder but what happens is they add intake drone to the amplified exhaust note, increasing the overall decibel level in the cab. It's hard to distinguish though so from the driver's seat all you hear is a louder roar.

I don't know if the OP has researched Tundra-specific sound clips, but as a former Dodge owner I can tell you there's a good chance you will be dissapointed with the way systems that really woke up your Dodge sound on the Tundras. The effect of aftermarket exhausts is proportional to how loud the truck is from the factory. Dodge truck engines tend to be louder than anything else out there out of the box so it doesn't take much to really wake them up. The Tundra motor is not quite so easy to wake up. After listening to tons of sound clips the only systems that provide a sound quality I like on a 5.7 Tundra are the Corsa Sport and the Powersticks.

If the routing of the pipes is a worry, realize that a good shop can pretty much get you anything you want there with just some tweaking. You may want to consider just doing a muffler then having the pipes custom bent.


Having heard Flowmaster 40s in person, I was not impressed with the quality of the sound they produced and would probably go Magnaflow before I go Flowmaster. The FM 40 SI/DO setup I heard sounded like an out of balance washing machine, no offense meant to anybody that has them. I have been told that removing resonators can make all the difference with these systems so that's something else you may want to look into.

I have the a 2010 CM with 5.7. I put cat back dual in/out flow master 40's on mine and it's has a nice sound to it, both at idle and with rpm's. Not too loud and not to quiet either. the only thing for me is, at first I was happy not having it too loud, but now I'm thinking I might want to make it just a little bit more throaty kind of like the titans, but will probably leave it, as I'm not unhappy with my set-up. guess every system and truck is different.
__________________

BIG RIG CLUB MEMBER#20
My Tundra:
2010 Black Tundra CM 4x4 loaded sr5....added leather, spray-in liner, bed rail system, AMP running boards, BHLM, 6" PC stage II lift, BMF Novakane 20", Toyo M/T 35"x12.5, hypertech calibration module, pocket style paint matched fender flares, flow master 40's w/dual out and chrome tips, debadged, husky weather beater floor liners, TRD Shift Handle.
2010 tundra cm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Priceboi82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Posts: 100
Thanks: 54
Thanked 61 Times in 32 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eharri3 View Post
Alot of these high flow intakes sound like they make the exhaust louder but what happens is they add intake drone to the amplified exhaust note, increasing the overall decibel level in the cab. It's hard to distinguish though so from the driver's seat all you hear is a louder roar.

I don't know if the OP has researched Tundra-specific sound clips, but as a former Dodge owner I can tell you there's a good chance you will be dissapointed with the way systems that really woke up your Dodge sound on the Tundras. The effect of aftermarket exhausts is proportional to how loud the truck is from the factory. Dodge truck engines tend to be louder than anything else out there out of the box so it doesn't take much to really wake them up. The Tundra motor is not quite so easy to wake up. After listening to tons of sound clips the only systems that provide a sound quality I like on a 5.7 Tundra are the Corsa Sport and the Powersticks.

If the routing of the pipes is a worry, realize that a good shop can pretty much get you anything you want there with just some tweaking. You may want to consider just doing a muffler then having the pipes custom bent.


Having heard Flowmaster 40s in person, I was not impressed with the quality of the sound they produced and would probably go Magnaflow before I go Flowmaster. The FM 40 SI/DO setup I heard sounded like an out of balance washing machine, no offense meant to anybody that has them. I have been told that removing resonators can make all the difference with these systems so that's something else you may want to look into.
I listen to the sound clips in the performance section and the Corsa Sport sounds really good. I may just see if my local muffler shop can hook me up with the Corsa Sport.
Priceboi82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Parts & Accessories


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


» Featured Product
Advertisement
» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Copyright 2006-2009, TundraTalk.net. All Rights Reserved.