Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Pop & Lock power tailgate lock

78K views 192 replies 71 participants last post by  albitech 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried this product? If so, was it a success and would you buy it again? Any issues with install? Seems pretty straight forward but I'd like your advice if you have knowledge on it before I buy. Thanks!

2007-2014 Toyota Tundra

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#2 ·
If I had to do it all over again I would buy the Pop & Lock kit. The bracket alone is worth the price. Someone on here used to sell brackets, but stopped shortly before I did mine. Creating the bracket for the actuator was a PITA.

I LOVE having my tailgate lock every time I lock my truck! Especially since I have a LazerLite cover... my bed is quite "secure".

#3 ·
I'm sold...I bought the actuator on ebay about 2 years ago and planned on doing this one day. I never got around to it because I knew it was going to be a bear. This seems like 100.00 well spent if it works well.

#4 ·
There are two model numbers for our Tundra's, PL8530 and PL8535. The only difference is that the 8535 has an extra hole drilled in bracket for the 2014's, per their tech support

#6 ·
Damn, that does look like a great mod! Thats going on the list!!

Reactions: Asian Dave
#13 · (Edited)
[ame]http://smile.amazon.com/Pop-Lock-PL8530-Tailgate-Toyota/dp/B002I9V4HO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406719072&sr=8-1&keywords=pop+and+lock+tundra+tailgate[/ame]

Amazons pn is different..... and the reviews not great.... still probably try it.

Edit - Bought it...we shall see.

#16 · (Edited)
Mine should be here on Aug. 1. Don't know when I'll get a chance to install it in this Florida heat. It's brutal! I'll definitely let y'all know how it goes though

Edited----out for delivery today. I won't be home til the morning though. That was some damn fast delivery! Just ordered it yesterday. Amazon Prime rules!!!

Reactions: Asian Dave
#25 ·
I had one on my F150, and it worked great. I just ordered one for my 2014 LTD CrewMax from StreetSideAuto.com. They are the cheapest I found.

2014 Toyota Tundra PopNLock power tailgate lock kit: PL8535

#28 ·
Hmm, noticed it has the 30 part number. Which would make it again cheaper to get off their amazon webpage. However, it does claim it works on the 14. So :dunno:

#30 ·
It appears the PL8530 is an older part #, and is no longer listed on their website. The PL8535 is the most current part #.
There are two model numbers for our Tundra's, PL8530 and PL8535. The only difference is that the 8535 has an extra hole drilled in bracket for the 2014's, per their tech support

Explained in the 4th post.

#29 ·
It appears the PL8530 is an older part #, and is no longer listed on their website. The PL8535 is the most current part #.

#31 ·
Thanks Asian Dave. It also looks like there is an update on the color of the wires to tap into. The PL8530 states to use the blue and white wires. The PL8535 states to use the blue with silver dash, and the white with silver dash wires.

#32 ·
I installed my PopNLock Power Tailgate lock today. Install was fairly easy. There is a problem with the instructions though. There are typo's for the wiring.

My PL8535 has green and blue wires. There is not a brown or black wire.

The green wire is for the lock signal, and the blue wire is for the unlock signal. The green wire on the PopNLock connects to the blue w/ silver strip, and the blue wire on the PopNLock connects to the white w/ silver stripe. This is on my 2014 CrewMax LTD.

#34 ·
I've attached my edited version of the Pop N Lock instructions that worked on my 2014 LTD CrewMax.

Attachments

#37 ·
It works, installs easily and I would buy it again. That being said, the mechanism is pretty loud, so I'd suggest slapping some dynamat or other sound deadening in the tailgate to quiet things down.

#42 ·
Yes, I am sure you can. I installed the pop lock on my 2010 tacoma this way. they splice into the same wires when installing the auto lock on the topper/cap/canopy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.