Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Which Retractable Tailgate Step?

15K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  Rorschach 
#1 ·
Reactions: DKST
#3 ·
Appreciate the pics, looking at my 14 CM I'm not sure if either will fit, the angle bar comes in quite a ways, what year is yours on?

#5 ·
After reseaching on Amp Research's website, I found that they make a different model for the 2014s, part number is 75309-01A. I think Amp Research makes the one for Toyota, they look really similar. Can anyone confirm this? I am going to order on Thursday.

BEDSTEP® | AMP Research

#6 ·
I could advise calling the vender and asking about fitment,Real-Truck.com shows the Trekstep # 75305-15 going all the way to 2014's. If thats the case,I'd think you'd be better served with the larger step-pad the Trek-Step offers,especially for less money.I looked at both of 'em too,same design but different steps.

#13 ·
RealTruck shows this going up to 2014 but not including 2014. I believe the frame changed. Bestop told me it would not fit the 2014. Amp Res seems to be the only one available.

#7 ·
I had the oem put on when I bought the truck ('13). Been a life saver. I just use it to step up into the bed, so it is wide enough for that. If u need to stand on it with both feet much, #2 may be better.either way, well worth it!

from my samsung galaxy - please excuse the typo's

#8 ·
I'm not understanding, are you meaning 13" by ('13)? If so, you're looking at a different animal than the OEM Step I handled at my dealership.It may've been 8-10" at best.I had to make sure before I ordered the Trek-Step.Measuring across the center of the Trek-Step is 12-5/8".If the Amp-Research (OEM)has "grown-up" over the past year or so,that's the one to buy!:yesnod:

#17 · (Edited)
Any new thoughts on Bestop or OEM? I'm about to buy. Is one harder to install than the other? I saw one post stating 15 minutes.

Also - Doesn't look like Bestop has theirs out for 2014.

#19 ·
Go with the Amp Research bed step. Hands down the best.

Reactions: TmH66 and Verger
#23 ·
Do we need to start a disabled/Senior sub club?

I have been looking at putting one on my truck.

#26 ·
What's the price on the oem or oem equivilant? 200?

More worried my 5yo is going to backflip and hit his head the way he keeps crawling up to it. Sort of goes semi upside down trying to push himself up off of the bumper. Keep in mind the tailgate is down, hard to explain, sorry.

#27 ·
Mine was $210 from SVCustoms with free and fast shipping (AMPResearch for 2014 Tundra). Got here so quick I have not had time to put it on.

Install looks easy.

75309-01A

#28 ·
Installed AMP Research BedStep (2014 Tundra)

The install of the AMP Research BedStep (2014 Tundra) should only take a 1/2 hour... I found the directions good, but it unnecessarily asks to remove two bolts.

If you are installing -- the following will make sense. I had some issues removing the trailer hitch plug (push pins in and force to rear) which made moving the bumper cap difficult. The two bumper bolts closest to the passenger side do not need to be removed as they do not affect the bumper bracket (at least on mine). With the bumper cap in the way, these two bolts took some serious time to remove and replace -- image how pleased I was to find out that I did not have to remove them anyway....

Additionally, I would consider tightening the linkage and steel bracket once everything is installed.

Great BedStep and I am already seeing the benefits! Glad I did it!!!!!!

Pictures and Install Manual Attached.

Attachments

#31 ·
I got the Bestop from Amazon for $169, free shipping with Amazon Prime. The install was about 20 minutes, nothing real difficult about it. I can't imagine how the Amp model could be any better. They look and work basically the same, from the pictures I have seen.

#34 · (Edited)
I just ordered the 75305-01A Amp Bed Step for my '12 Tundra.

I was debating on getting the Bestop one but found the Amp Research for $193 shipped from some place in New York.

#36 · (Edited)
Both look to be made by Amp Research. The BestStop version is the gen 1 version of the BedStep. Just look at the styling of the step: it's the same as their power retractable side steps. The BedStep is the evolutionary newer version.

The part numbers reflect the manufacturer's sequencing.

Here's a link to a page on Amp Research's page with a 'beststop' tag: http://www.amp-research.com/tag/bestop/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.