Replacing the 8inch subwoofer! - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 22
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Replacing the 8inch subwoofer!

Well hey guys, I'm new here and I plan on sticking around! I LOVE my Tundra, 2009 Tundra Crewmax limited, completely loaded. All the bells and whistles. Had her almost a year now. I had a Titan before, horrible on gas, powerful though.

Anyways, I want to replace the 8inch built in woofer and add an amplifier to power just that subwoofer...I've done some research on this forum, but I would love some one on one with this, because I do not want to mess up this 35k truck!

I know what sub I'll be going with, and I know that I have to insulate the area, but my problem is hooking up the amplifier. Is there anyone here that could help me? I'm even willing to paypal you if necessary!!!

Thanks guys, this place is awesome!

(PS. I hope this is in the right forum category)
Locky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you looking at adding a bigger sub or another 8inch? Also ensure you are cross referencing the air capacity of your new sub to the encloser thats in the truck or if you are adding a new encloser. Amps are easy to swap out however the amp in the truck now i do not believe the cables woukd support a after market amp. You can usually buy decent amp kits at a audio store.
mattitudx is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Senior Member
 
stroked383z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,542
Thanks: 1,179
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,226 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
I think some people have successfully replaced the factory JBL sub with an aftermarket and had good results even with the factory amp?

2011 Tundra CM 4x4 TRD Offroad, SR5, Spruce Mica, Zone 3/1 lift, 20x9 XD Black Hoss, 35x12.5x20 Nitto Trail Grappler, TRD Skidplate, Sunroof, Cold Weather Package, Deck Rail System, etc...
Clarion NX501 NAV/DVD, 2 RE Audio SRX 10's in a custom vented box, HiFonics Brutus 1200.1, Stinger capacitor, 6K 35W HIDs in Fogs, and Low Beams, Plasmaglow Fire and Ice Light Bar, Rhino Liner Hardline, Tri-Fold Bedcover
stroked383z is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 22
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattitudx View Post
Are you looking at adding a bigger sub or another 8inch? Also ensure you are cross referencing the air capacity of your new sub to the encloser thats in the truck or if you are adding a new encloser. Amps are easy to swap out however the amp in the truck now i do not believe the cables woukd support a after market amp. You can usually buy decent amp kits at a audio store.
Yea, I researched this a lot, I am going to be replacing the subwoofer with a different one in the same built in box that came with the Tundra...My problem is, like you stated, I don't know how to hook up an aftermarket amplifier in place of the one that is there now...Also, I just want the amplifier running that one sub, not the entire system. I could use help with doing that!
Locky is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 22
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked383z View Post
I think some people have successfully replaced the factory JBL sub with an aftermarket and had good results even with the factory amp?
This is probably true, but the subwoofer I am getting needs way more power than that amp provides, it needs its own amp to power it.
Locky is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
DDRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 151
Thanks: 56
Thanked 155 Times in 88 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
The way I understand it is that the amp with our JBL system powers all 12 speakers in the truck so if you want to power the new sub with its own amp I would say go and get a 2 channel amp and just for the sub and leave the other amp alone to run the rest of the 11 speakers. I too need to replace my sub due to the fact my son blew it, there is a guy on this forum that sells speakers boxes for our trucks and I am sure he would know how to do this,


2008 Tundra Crew Max LMT 4X4
6inch Pro Comp Stage 1
XD Monster 20 X 9 -12 Offset Falken 35 X 12.5
Work in Progress

Texas Truck Member
DDRaptor is online now  
#7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 22
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDRaptor View Post
The way I understand it is that the amp with our JBL system powers all 12 speakers in the truck so if you want to power the new sub with its own amp I would say go and get a 2 channel amp and just for the sub and leave the other amp alone to run the rest of the 11 speakers. I too need to replace my sub due to the fact my son blew it, there is a guy on this forum that sells speakers boxes for our trucks and I am sure he would know how to do this,
Who is it? Could he chime in on this? I've ordered the subwoofer and amplifier already, and what you said is exactly what I plan on doing, I just don't know how to hook up the amplifier into the system...I believe there is a way to do it without taking out the head-unit and just using the wires going into the factory amp now. Also read in order to do this you need a converter to convert the wires going to the sub, this is where I need the help.
Locky is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
DDRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 151
Thanks: 56
Thanked 155 Times in 88 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I think it is Tech12 you might send him a P.M. on what your are doing and I am sure he has the answer for you. As far as hooking the amp up I would run your own power and ground wire and the only thing you should need to run to the head unit would be a remote wire, then I would just run new speaker wires for the sub. Let me know how it works or what you find out I will be doing this soon myself.


2008 Tundra Crew Max LMT 4X4
6inch Pro Comp Stage 1
XD Monster 20 X 9 -12 Offset Falken 35 X 12.5
Work in Progress

Texas Truck Member
DDRaptor is online now  
#9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 22
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDRaptor View Post
I think it is Tech12 you might send him a P.M. on what your are doing and I am sure he has the answer for you. As far as hooking the amp up I would run your own power and ground wire and the only thing you should need to run to the head unit would be a remote wire, then I would just run new speaker wires for the sub. Let me know how it works or what you find out I will be doing this soon myself.
Sent him a message, no response
Locky is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Bobby B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,252
Thanks: 392
Thanked 817 Times in 420 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky View Post
Sent him a message, no response

I heard he's recovering from a very very bad car accident
Broken ribs, arm, infection ect

BOBBY B

Bobby B is offline  
#11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Senior Member
 
stroked383z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,542
Thanks: 1,179
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,226 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
12 volt has been in an accident recently. I dont know if he's taking orders at this time or not.

2011 Tundra CM 4x4 TRD Offroad, SR5, Spruce Mica, Zone 3/1 lift, 20x9 XD Black Hoss, 35x12.5x20 Nitto Trail Grappler, TRD Skidplate, Sunroof, Cold Weather Package, Deck Rail System, etc...
Clarion NX501 NAV/DVD, 2 RE Audio SRX 10's in a custom vented box, HiFonics Brutus 1200.1, Stinger capacitor, 6K 35W HIDs in Fogs, and Low Beams, Plasmaglow Fire and Ice Light Bar, Rhino Liner Hardline, Tri-Fold Bedcover
stroked383z is offline  
#12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 22
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B View Post
I heard he's recovering from a very very bad car accident
Broken ribs, arm, infection ect
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked383z View Post
12 volt has been in an accident recently. I dont know if he's taking orders at this time or not.
Damn, I pray he has a fast and painless recovery...damn I feel bad now for messaging him
Locky is offline  
#13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hill AFB, Ut
Posts: 4
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Simple. Get a two chanel AMP, The sub input will be the lines to the current sub. This will be your low pass input. I recomend a Kicker with the sub volum econtrol. Then replace the box. I have done this in a 2000 corvette, 2002 corvette and my 2011 Grandsport without fail. I plan to do the same in the Tundra. It is an easy upgrade, The only wiring you will need to do is for the Power, ground and remote turn on., then fromt he amp to your new sub. Goodluck. Make sure your gain input on the new amp is all the way down then adjust after you turn on.
AFATCER is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to AFATCER For This Useful Post:
Locky (11-13-2012)
#14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 22
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFATCER View Post
Simple. Get a two chanel AMP, The sub input will be the lines to the current sub. This will be your low pass input. I recomend a Kicker with the sub volum econtrol. Then replace the box. I have done this in a 2000 corvette, 2002 corvette and my 2011 Grandsport without fail. I plan to do the same in the Tundra. It is an easy upgrade, The only wiring you will need to do is for the Power, ground and remote turn on., then fromt he amp to your new sub. Goodluck. Make sure your gain input on the new amp is all the way down then adjust after you turn on.
So I take the two wires going into the subwoofer, run those into the amp, then run new wires from the amp to the subwoofer, and this will do it? (of course hooking power/ground up to the amp too)...

It's really that easy?
Locky is offline  
#15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hill AFB, Ut
Posts: 4
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep, just make sure you put the two from the orginal wires into the high input of the amp. I run my factory radio bass at half way and the gain about 1/2 on the new amp. then use the bass adjustment nob on the amp to set the sub volum. Mine is remote bass control so it is installed in easy reach while driving. Here is some pictures of the install i did in the vette.

Last edited by AFATCER; 11-13-2012 at 08:57 PM.
AFATCER is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to AFATCER For This Useful Post:
Locky (11-22-2012)
Reply

  TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Parts & Accessories


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome