User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Snow plowing

I'm looking for feedback from any Tundra owners out there that use their trucks for snow removal? What size blades are you using? How does the Tundra handle the plow? Have you ever had any major suspension or mechanical failures from plowing with the Tundra??

I'm really seriously considering a Tundra, but before I commit to one, I really would like some feedback on how these trucks do snow plowing.

I'm not talking commercial application either, I have 3 driveways and a warehouse lot that I'll be using the truck for plowing.

Thanks much!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
The Tundra is an excellent medium duty light truck plow vehicle. I've been running a 29 series 7.5' Snoway since 2008, no issues. The official weight is 558lbs, but I also run a 100+ lb bumper and 37" tires... again no issues. There are guys running larger units w/o problems. The front end on these trucks is VERY beefy, ball joints, tierods, bearings, etc all rank in the 3/4 ton range.

Most manufacturers recommend their light or sport duty plows for our application. They obviously have not looked very closely at the build of this truck, which is based on the HD Land Cruiser chassis. You will have to inspect the mount frame from whatever brand you choose... they will likely accept the larger units from that company. Most regular/medium plows in the 7.5' to 8' are a good fit.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Thanked 23,827 Times in 7,842 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
I'm in the same boat with a couple driveways and my business. I'm tired of waiting for the plow guy to clean out my business (churches get priority on Sundays - one of my busiest days) and then having to go out and clean up after him because he does a half ass job. After a few months of researching and debating, I decided I'm getting a Sno-Way.

If you talk to anyone that is not familiar with a Tundra, they will laugh at you when you ask them about a plow. If you talk to anyone who has a Tundra & a plow, they will tell you how great it is compared to some of the other 1/2 trucks they have had. I'm still waiting to find someone who said a plow messed up their Tundra.

The bottom line is know what & where you are plowing and don't be jamming the gears or you'll mess up the transmission. Shouldn't be hard since I'm not in a race for cash.

If you can get through the egotistical posts from other truck owners, there's some great info on plowsite.com
http://www.plowsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31
#4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 01:10 PM

How hard is it to mount the receiver to the truck? Any modifications to bumper? Reading the link above it sounds like you need a lift on the front end.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

I have a 3/1 lift on my truck, it's best to raise it a few inches so you don't ground out. Some of the plows I looked have tall push plates and don't give much ground clearance.

I ordered up my plow this morning, the mounts should be in Tuesday so I'll let you know how the install goes. I'm doing the plates and wiring and having them assemble the plow.

I know there's a couple guys on here that do plow installs, hopefully they chime in.
I'm still waiting for Brian to post some pics of his over-engineered removable push plates
#6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 09:49 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info and honest feedback. If I end up with a Toyota, I'll end up with either w 7'6" Western plow, or a 7'6" Snow Dogg plow for the truck. They are the 2 closest plow dealers to me. I'm running a Western now and I like the ease of use and how easy the plow comes on and off the truck.
I'll keep you all posted.
Thanks again,
#7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

I'd be afraid of the snow dogg after seeing how they had problems with the weld busting on the a-frame. I'd spend the extra money and go for the western.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 07:57 PM

My dad has a 2010 and I just bought a 2011. We both have 7' 6'' Western Pro plows with the Ultramount system. By far the best set up on the market. I think the plow set up weighs about 650 lbs and the truck handles it awesome. It only took me about two hours to install the mount and the only trimming you have to do is on the skid plate and you can barely notice the truck has a plow mount on it. Most plow mounts make you completely remove the skid plate which could cause problems with snow getting jammed up in the engine. Wiring is always a bitch but its also a nice setup. Would highly recommend this setup to anybody. I have plowed with Western plows for 20 years and have had zero problems with them.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 06:33 PM

Tundra220,

What option do you have on the plow. Joystick or handled control? There was another option that I had no clue about (3 or 4 something) on the page after you pick the control on their website.

Any tips?
#10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 06:42 PM

My dad has the handheld and I have the joystick all in what you prefer. Both our trucks are the 3 port isolation module which is what you would be getting if you bought new. Even though the Quickmatch only shows two plow options for the Tundra it is only a guide. The Ultramount can fit any size plow your heart desires. I found my plow on Craigslist for $3K and bought the mount and wiring from Plow Parts Direct for around $1K.
#11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 11:36 PM

Thanks for the info. Completely forgot to look on craigslist. This would be my first plow so I have no clue.
#12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 12:39 AM

Thanked 7,897 Times in 3,867 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
i have installed several boss plows on tundras, the last was either a 7'6" or 8', it was in early 07... that same guy just came in and bought a new tundra (crashed his last one) and i had to do a new install on his new 2011...

some things changed, lower front bumper valance, wiring is still a bitch, no holes through firewall, have to either fit through small nipple on main harness bushing or just untape main, then cut a small hole inside the inner membrane... thats what i did...

his last truck held up better than several dodge and chevy 3/4 tons over the last 7-10 years he said.

his truck shows only a sport duty now ( new standards) his last truck ( same dc, same 5.7) could take the standard duty...

he will be running his standard duty.

however, the salesman didn't know what plow he had, so he ordered the wrong undercarriage... when the correct standard undercarriage comes in i will be installing that... again...

i have installed boss, and western, and curtis.

curtis and western were in a lawsuit a while back. boss is easier to hitch than either.

plows are like ladies, no matter what, they all do the job, some like blondes, some like thicker chicks, some like the ones ya don't have to feed before ya get down to it...
they all do the same thing, and are all a pita and cost money.

the more ya spend and the better you care for them typically the quieter and better they work for you.

i tend to say to stay away from cheaper price point units.

i work at a boss dealer, yet have installed several westerns, and yet i have swapped many more westerns off of new n used trucks for boss than boss for western... never had a boss user want to go back to a western.

new f stuper doodies are a bitch if diesel for electrical, but undercarriage is a breeze across the board...

the tundra is one of the more time consuming installs, but then again, im anal, so i like everything to look neat and tidy, not all rednecked up.

i have found there is an open fuse slot in the inside of the truck above the footwell that is a keyed on 12v source, but yota uses tiny fuses, not standard fuses, but you can fit a mini fuse with a fuse tap in there to draw remote turn on power... just i suggest blowing the fuse being as i never have found out why its a powered blank fuse location, the other side has a terminal, but no one has been able to tell me where it goes to....

I put the Laughter in Slaughter

KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...

2010 CM RW, blacked out, Led's,Hid's bhlm, 315/60r18 Grabber's, XD wheels, Aero turbine exhaust, more than meets the eye.

I like weapons.
I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.

Last edited by Powertechn2; 11-15-2011 at 12:43 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
tridacna (11-15-2011), u sh00k (12-03-2012)
#13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 10:23 PM

Both Boss and Western are good reliable setups. The only thing I like about Western over Boss is the undercarriage. Alot less BS hanging off the front of your truck with the Ultramount.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tundra220 For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (12-18-2011)
#14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 09:53 PM

(Thread Starter)
I'm very curious as to the 100 lbs bumper you have on your truck. What is the make of it? I'd like to install an after market bumper or brushguard on the truck that i could hopefully leave on with a plow setup. i like the beefyness of the road armor bumpers, but, i don't want to install one if the snow plow setup won't work with it on the truck year round. I'll def install a Western plow due to the dealer being right here in town and the ability to have full ground clearance when the plows off the truck. Western def has a nice setup in that reguard for sure. I have a ultramount western now that i'm happy with. Any info on your bumper is much appreciated.
thanks,
#15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 09:56 PM

(Thread Starter)
Are you or your dad using Timbrens on the front end to help reduce bottoming out the front suspension? I will def install Timbrens on my Tundra for sure. They are cheap enough and I think they help out a fair amount.

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Parts & Accessories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.