User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
BakFlip MX4 Feedback

I am considering the BakFlip MX4 cover for my 2017 Tundra Crewmax Limited and would like feedback from those who own this cover. Would you buy it again? Pros & cons of the product? It looks like you can keep the factory tie down rails as well.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
I like mine. It looks good, low profile, easy to open, yet secure. Easy to remove if need be. I had an issue with the seal on one of the hinges did not go all the way to the side and I had a small amount of water that leaked in there. I contacted SVcustoms who I bought it from and I had a new cover sent to me. The new one does not leak at all, it was just a small issue that was taken care of. I do like the fact that I can open and close the tailgate without having to open the cover. I would buy one again.
The Following User Says Thank You to bsktball55 For This Useful Post:
Svcustoms (03-20-2017)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I like mine. It does leak near the tailgate since there is no barrier for water there. (I plan on using silicone caulk to stop it)
I used a bead of silicone between the bed and side mounting brackets and the front corners too help seal the top.

Tip... I had purchased a multi-use transfer pump from Harbor freight. The red hose it the perfect size to use for the drain hose. Push into the side water channel and measure the length you want. It fits snug Into the factory bed pre drilled holes on the side.

Pittsburgh® Automotive 66418 Multi-Use Transfer Pump

2017 Tundra Pro
2015 Platinum Crew Max (traded)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a 2017 Limited CrewMax as well and went with a MX4 from SVCustoms. I have no regrets, easy install, looks sharp, works great, keeps the water out.

As mentioned above, the gap between the tailgate and the bed will allow some water in there, but that cannot really be fixed by a cover. And the most I have seen in either heavy rain or car wash is a few drops.

And the service from SVCustoms was excellent as was his pricing, recommend buying from him.

-Eric
The Following User Says Thank You to the_bear For This Useful Post:
Svcustoms (03-20-2017)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for everyone's helpful feedback!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I think some have been able to fix the tailgate leak with some weather stripping.
I really want this cover and have gotten a quote or two from SVcustoms but just haven't had the finances to take the plunge yet.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
What's a fair price for the mx4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
pm SVcustoms and ask. He gave better prices than anything I found online or local.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bak MX4 Info....

I just installed my Bak MX4 today on a 17' Limited Crewmax. Easy install after reattaching my cargo bed rails with the included hardware. Took about 2.5-3 hrs at a lazy pace because the weather was so darn nice outside and I wanted to soak it in. Anyway, I ordered mine from Morrie over at Tonneaufactoryoutlet.com. He gave me a very good deal and from Feb 17th-March 17th Bak industries is apparently offering a $50 rebate on this cover. Looks real good on the truck and seems well made. Time will tell if it will outlive it's 3 year factory warranty, but I am pleased with the initial quality and ease of install on the Tundra. Will run it through the carwash soon to assess for leaks and try to seal accordingly. One last point. You CAN close the last panel with the tailgate open or closed and it seals very nicely. I really like this quality on the cover. My only other real frontrunner in this decision was the Undercover Flex but I didn't really like the way that it folded up and kind of hung up in the air for the wind to catch over the top of the cab. The MX4 folds up flat against your back window and secures with prop rods but stays below the level of the 3rd brake light which allows it to be below the top of the truck and not catch excess "wind shear" which could potentially further decrease your mpg. Hope this helps sort some things out. Good Luck!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I installed a MX4 on my '14 crew max. I'm having some tiny leaks near the front bulk/head of the bed. I'll definitely find something to seal it and the rear tailgate. I actually laid down in the trunk bed with the cover and tailgate closed during daylight to see where water would leak in. Lots of light appeared near the top corners of the tailgate. I found some weather stripping by Access. Element seal, trailseal, and total bed. I'm going to give one of these a try and see how it goes.

The prop rods don't quite shift in/out at all or fit with the adjustable sliders when folded all the way up. That is my issue with mine so I emailed Bak industries support and see what they will say.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Garage
Weird it double posted..

2017 Tundra TRD Pro CM Cement, Just TRD Air Filter, OEM All Weather Floor Mats, Remote Start, Spray bed-liner and Bakflip MX4.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Garage
I love mine, in a major storm you might get a few leaks, but everything stays dry for the most part. Easy to move and remove. Still allows you to use the whole bed. Plus my buddy had the same cover and helped me put it on in about 40 minutes.

2017 Tundra TRD Pro CM Cement, Just TRD Air Filter, OEM All Weather Floor Mats, Remote Start, Spray bed-liner and Bakflip MX4.

Last edited by Trailmoose; 03-18-2017 at 10:36 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:38 PM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The MX4's are the is the best selling covers by far. They are a beautiful cover, install is easy and it is one of the most water tight covers out there. You wont be disappointed with the MX4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RDP Store
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shop 440 358 5500
Cell 440 251 8571

Husky Weathertech Bull Dog Kooks ARH Stainless Power Diablosport SCT Edelbrock Whipple Magnuson Rotofab CAI Fore Innovations DSS Mishimoto Borla Magnaflow Corsa Trutrac EBC
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I ordered an mx4 and it came today but it looks like I have some issues... I'm assuming the rails aren't supposed to be bent like this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Parts, Accessories and Exterior Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.