Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

BakFlip MX4 Feedback

13K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  twoweeled 
#1 ·
I am considering the BakFlip MX4 cover for my 2017 Tundra Crewmax Limited and would like feedback from those who own this cover. Would you buy it again? Pros & cons of the product? It looks like you can keep the factory tie down rails as well.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I like mine. It looks good, low profile, easy to open, yet secure. Easy to remove if need be. I had an issue with the seal on one of the hinges did not go all the way to the side and I had a small amount of water that leaked in there. I contacted SVcustoms who I bought it from and I had a new cover sent to me. The new one does not leak at all, it was just a small issue that was taken care of. I do like the fact that I can open and close the tailgate without having to open the cover. I would buy one again.

#3 ·
I like mine. It does leak near the tailgate since there is no barrier for water there. (I plan on using silicone caulk to stop it)
I used a bead of silicone between the bed and side mounting brackets and the front corners too help seal the top.

Tip... I had purchased a multi-use transfer pump from Harbor freight. The red hose it the perfect size to use for the drain hose. Push into the side water channel and measure the length you want. It fits snug Into the factory bed pre drilled holes on the side.

Pittsburgh® Automotive 66418 Multi-Use Transfer Pump

#4 ·
I have a 2017 Limited CrewMax as well and went with a MX4 from SVCustoms. I have no regrets, easy install, looks sharp, works great, keeps the water out.

As mentioned above, the gap between the tailgate and the bed will allow some water in there, but that cannot really be fixed by a cover. And the most I have seen in either heavy rain or car wash is a few drops.

And the service from SVCustoms was excellent as was his pricing, recommend buying from him.

-Eric

#9 ·
Bak MX4 Info....

I just installed my Bak MX4 today on a 17' Limited Crewmax. Easy install after reattaching my cargo bed rails with the included hardware. Took about 2.5-3 hrs at a lazy pace because the weather was so darn nice outside and I wanted to soak it in. Anyway, I ordered mine from Morrie over at Tonneaufactoryoutlet.com. He gave me a very good deal and from Feb 17th-March 17th Bak industries is apparently offering a $50 rebate on this cover. Looks real good on the truck and seems well made. Time will tell if it will outlive it's 3 year factory warranty, but I am pleased with the initial quality and ease of install on the Tundra. Will run it through the carwash soon to assess for leaks and try to seal accordingly. One last point. You CAN close the last panel with the tailgate open or closed and it seals very nicely. I really like this quality on the cover. My only other real frontrunner in this decision was the Undercover Flex but I didn't really like the way that it folded up and kind of hung up in the air for the wind to catch over the top of the cab. The MX4 folds up flat against your back window and secures with prop rods but stays below the level of the 3rd brake light which allows it to be below the top of the truck and not catch excess "wind shear" which could potentially further decrease your mpg. Hope this helps sort some things out. Good Luck!

#10 ·
I installed a MX4 on my '14 crew max. I'm having some tiny leaks near the front bulk/head of the bed. I'll definitely find something to seal it and the rear tailgate. I actually laid down in the trunk bed with the cover and tailgate closed during daylight to see where water would leak in. Lots of light appeared near the top corners of the tailgate. I found some weather stripping by Access. Element seal, trailseal, and total bed. I'm going to give one of these a try and see how it goes.

The prop rods don't quite shift in/out at all or fit with the adjustable sliders when folded all the way up. That is my issue with mine so I emailed Bak industries support and see what they will say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Yeah I think it was just the week it took to ship to the east coast on a FedEx truck that did it in. Still don't have resolution- the site I bought it from is trying to get Bak to ship me new rails, but apparently Bak isn't being very forthcoming or something. I'll have to get back on the horn tomorrow to get it straightened out, as it's kind of worthless without good rails...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Ok, so I have my new rails, the cover is on, and all is well.

As far as my issue, I purchased my cover from AutoAnything, and it was drop shipped to me from Bak. I'm in upstate NY however, so it came via FedEx ground and took a full week to get across country. Upon arrival on March 22, I opened the box and both rails were bent:

The box, however, wasn't really damaged, it merely looked like it spent a week on a truck. It wasn't really crushed or ripped open, but the rails were on the top so if it was buried under other packages just the right way, I could see how they would be bent.

So anyway, I called up AutoAnything, told them that both rails were bent, and they apologized, asked me if the box was damaged (to which I said no, since it really wasn't) and said they would call Bak to request two new rails to replace the bent ones. I was told I would hear back in 2 business days.

So, Saturday comes around and I haven't heard back yet, so I sent an email following up with their customer service. I got a reply stating that they haven't heard anything yet and to give it two more business days.

Fast forward to Tuesday, I sent another follow up email and are told that they are going it elevate it to Bak management since they haven't heard back. So, I give it to Thursday, then call the customer service line. It turns out the issue was since the box wasn't damaged, they couldn't bill fedex for the damage, and I don't think they wanted to eat the cost. However, I would argue that they clearly weren't sufficiently packed, so that's on them.

Anyway, the customer service folks at AutoAnything called to Bak while I was on the phone, and Bak finally agreed to ship me new rails. They ended up going on Friday on overnight air, and I got them today undamaged.

I could of been more aggressive getting the replacement, and been then it took more calls then it needed to, but in the end AutoAnything and Bak did make it right and sent me the parts I needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#25 ·
I'm no expert on pricing, but if you shop around / search for coupon codes, I don't see any reason why you couldn't be in the 800-850 ish range on one. As for install, it really wasn't bad at all- took me about an hour by myself with a good chunk of that just messing around with the drop brackets for the deck rail system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#26 ·
I love mine not 100% water proof but good enough for my needs. After installing it myself I wouldn't pay extra to have it installed super easy. I got mine directly from BAK no issues.

#27 ·
so why did everyone get this one instead of the revolver x2 which doesn't need drain tubes, has no seals in the middle to leak, and doesn't block the full rear window when put all the way up against the glass? I'm in the tonneau market and just curious, because for the life of me, if I can get one that allows rear window visibility and one that blocks the rear view when up, not sure why I would want the one that blocks the view. I'm a rookie on this stuff though, so learn me :)

Thanks!

#28 ·
For me I wanted the use of the full bed for my gear and motor cycles etc. If I didn't always have gear in my truck I would do the revolver X-2. My buddy has the revolver and you lose 8"-10" which on a short bed is important to me. He also carries a heavy stuff sometimes and uses a cargo bar in order to prevent damage to rolled up cover if the load slides. As far as the back window not an issue for me.

#32 ·
I have a Bakflip G2 aluminum bed cover. Not a bad cover. I'm wondering if my Bakflip is the only one having the black color flake off? It's old now, but it started flaking off after about 6 years. Just a lot of spots all over. Loks almost like that pic with th esnow flakes all over it (not that bad, but the same idea). anybody else have this issue with Bakflip? The hardware rusted, but I can accept that. A few of the rubber bumpers just fell off, but I can accept that too. But the color coming off is VERY annoying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.