Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Color match grill

8K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  Wacked 
#1 ·
Is it normal to have a slightly color difference between the color match grill and hood.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Bumper
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#22 ·
Sure looks like an SR grille to me. That's how they look on the MGM SR.

#8 ·
Sometimes plastic parts just appear different. Different flop so to say.

Normally it should be pretty close though.

#12 ·
I may rescind my reasonable remark for @ACDan 'so comment because now that I think about it it would be better to take the $40 grille and have it painted to match. I'm sure a painter would rather shoot paint on that one rather than have to prep the chrome for paint.

#13 ·
I really want chicken wings for dinner, extra blue cheese, celery and no carrots

Reactions: ACDan and Wacked
#19 ·
Just did a 2010ish-2013ish "LIMITED" Grill upgrade on my 2007 Limited CrewMax in December.

Also had the grill Color Matched Black "202", no problem what so ever.

Proper prep is your friend!

>:D

YB

Attachments

#24 ·
I have a 2013 so no bulge, but to have my chrome grille surround prepped and color matched I paid $75. I installed a mesh grille so I left the emblem alone.

#27 ·
That is correct. The surround and bulge on the SR grille is not MGM. It's close, but it is definitely not a match.

#28 ·
Ok. I have a dealership willing to paint my grill on the side, I just need to take care of the painter. I have two questions:

1) would $100 be fair?

2) originally I was just going to have the surround color matched and leave the center black. Now I am think to either have the whole grill color matched, or just the large bars and the emblem painted.

Which way does the forum think I should go?

Pic of grill on truck now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
$100 seems fair.

Have them paint the whole thing. The Pro grilles look good that way too. There should be some pictures of the solid color color match regular grilles in here somewhere.

Reactions: trip110
#29 · (Edited)
My personal opinion is to paint the bulge and surround and leave all bars black. I go back and forth on the emblem as to whether or not it should be black like the bars or color matched.

And I think $100 is a steal since you're only in to it for $40 so far. You can't buy one color matched for that price. At least that I've found.

*** side note... I really want my chrome 14 grill color matched white. Is the prep that extensive to do? No way that spray paint sticks?

#31 ·
I might add that my MGM Plat (matched grill surround, bumpers etc...) looks mismatched in the rain.

I didn't re-read through the thread, but today during the freezing rain my truck looked close to what your pic looked.

In dry times, mine doesn't look like that though. And in wet, not near the difference. But today I thought of this thread when I was checking for codes.

#32 ·
am I the only one that looses my train of thought every time @Wacked makes a post.

I'll find myself totally zoned out and my head is bobbing....oh so slightly.

Reactions: Wacked
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.