Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Carrots

Votes: 3 42.9%

OEM step bars vs. Truck Gear nerfs

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  mcfoto 
#1 ·
Hi all,

First stupid question from a newb.

I purchased a new 2016 Tundra Monday and wife commands that job one is install steps to hoist our fat selves up into the truck. The dealer quoted $500 installed for the OEM bars. My local truck accessory store quoted $320 installed for Truck Gear nerfs in 3" rounds. I'm normally a cheap skate so inclined to go with the after markets. Anyone think the OEMs are a better investment?

#3 ·
Oem

#4 ·
To me, it's not a question of whether to go OEM or aftermarket. Could be a good price from the store, depending on whether you are getting black or stainless finish (black is cheaper in price) and length of the bars (CrewMax or Double). IIRC Truck Gear is Line-X's private label bars from Steelcraft so you can shop around for Steelcraft 3" rounds online which you could probably find for dirt cheap from Josh here or on carid.com or sites like that. Those are usually simple enough to install yourself in an hour to save on install costs. I personally do not like 3" rounds because they are usually made of the cheapest material so if you are just looking to put anything on at the lowest price these are good for you. If you want quality or something a little fancier, expect to pay a little more. Check with the dealer the brand or where they get their stuff from because it's quite possible they get aftermarket ones and install them for you (with the mark-up of course)

#10 ·
Thanks for all the good pieces of advice. I decided to go with Lund 4 inch ovals. The rounds might have been dinky looking on a Tundra but I was more worried about the tiny step pads and slipping during our notoriously wet Western Oregon winters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.