Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Rear Window Visor/Deflector for drop-down window?

14K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  mscroggi 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. Quick question - does anyone make a rear window visor/deflector for the '14 Tundra with the rear drop-down window? I like to crack the back window for ventilation, but in rain or morning dew, I get a lot of water falling back into the seats and cab. I figure a deflector would help stop that . . . for some reason, I can't seem to find one for sale anywhere. Thanks.

#2 ·
Perhaps someone more capable could find one, but I was not able to find one for CM Tundras (the only trucks with the sliding rear window). I would imagine not too many companies would be willing to make such a low demand item.

By the way, be aware that such an item would severely restrict your field of view (along with head rests).

#6 ·
so i've got a buddy i race motorcycles with that is an engineer at weathertech.. he's submitting this idea to product development by the end of the day :)

#7 ·
I dunno if these would fit, but some of the older Subaru Outback's had a visor that went above both of the doors. You'd have to do some measuring to see if they would fit, but the shape is right for what you're trying to do.

#8 · (Edited)
If I am correct, I thought that one of "window vent visor" company made one for the rear window for Tundras.

I know that they mad them for Gen. 1 Tundras.

YB

Reactions: Wacked
#9 ·
AVS lists one for the reg cab. Which I think is funny, as it doesn't roll down.

I myself have wanted one for a while, almost ordered the reg cab one, then realized it was only for reg cab. On avs website it lists NOT FOR ROLL DOWN REAR WINDOW. At least it used to.

Why in the hell would you want one for a non rolling down window is what I wondered.

Reactions: Wacked
#11 ·
It obviously isn't a in channel one because the window doesn't roll down so why wouldn't it work since it mounts to the outside? I don't understand why it wouldn't work. If someone know why, please explain.

#12 ·
I'd guess because it sticks to the rubber trim around the nonsliding rear window.
The sliding rear window may be a totally different setup and not have that rubber in the same place or layout..

But if you read the reviews, one guy stated he used it on his crewmax..

I have an 07 Toyota Tundra CrewMax. This rear window deflector works great. Even in the rain you can put your rear window down a couple of inches. It does work on CM's even though the company doesn't say it does. It adheres to the metal piece around the window

Order one and see if it fits..
You'll only be out the return shipping to send it back if it doesn't..

Reactions: SP and TRDAWG
#15 ·
I had one on my '13 CM before it was totaled. I ordered the double cabs or Reg cabs one for their rear window, only issue is the very end of the visor( maybe a 1/4" - 1/2", don't remember) didn't stick to the frame as it was smaller. What I mean by this is that it curved in just abit. Had it on the truck for 2yrs till the truck got totaled out. Worked great and I didn't have any issue with it blocking view. Loved having it in New Orleans as it would keep the cab cooler with the back window cracked and the side windows cracked also. I can't verify if it will work with the 2014+, but I don't think the back windows changed between the 2nd gen and the 2.5 gen, but I could be wrong.

#18 ·
I was looking for an in channel rear window vent shade like my weather tech ones, but could fins anything either. So i went ahead and bought the AVS Rear Window Vent Shade. it says it is made only for the window that don't go down, but for about $65 i figured i had to try it out! I installed it this morning and i am very happy with it! I cleaned the rubber with windex and dried it thoroughly. I fit it up there to see how it would fit before i removed the plastic from the double sided tape. it was a little short, but i split the difference on other side. one precaution was that the tape was VERY sticky! its really a one shot deal! i marked the middle on the shade with a pencil and line it up before i went for it.

Here are some pictures of what it looks like and you can decide for your self if you like it!

Attachments

#19 ·
Well, at least it is an option.

Not sure as to why the hell they make one for a non-rolling window, but not for one that would actually allow use of it.

#21 ·
Shit, I can one up the seat wet... One night I left mine cracked 2", I think a monsoon hit. Truck had standing water in it. Had to pull the seat, subs, amp, carpet...

If I had a rear visor it wouldn't have been an issue.

Now when it rains and it has been a warm day I double guess myself and check. I have gotten up outta bed at 4 am just to make sure it is up even. Never forgotten it down since, then-again, never forgot it before either...

#25 ·
Maybe we need to contact AVS or someone and bitch about a product that they don't make, but should.

#26 ·
I like the idea of this deflector. But how does it work if its raining outside and you are driving? The air comes over the cab and doubles back towards the back window in a circular motion right? I wonder it it hasnt been produced because the air pressure while driving would still push water inside?

Just curious..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.