Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Bakflip vs Undercover Flex

77K views 67 replies 44 participants last post by  123Gone 
#1 ·
I'm trying to decide between the Bakflip G2, Fibermax, and Undercover Flex. Does anyone care to chime in?

I like that the Undercover Flex doesn't rest against the cab when it's folded up and that it has straps that are built in.

I can find lots of reviews on the Bakflips but not the undercover so I'm hoping to gain some insight with this thread. :D

Here is a video showing the differences. UnderCover Flex vs Competitor's - YouTube

#4 · (Edited)
I would choose the Flex over a Bakflip because:

1. The Flex comes with integrated straps to use when you drive with the panels folded. The Bakflip requires that you go buy and use bungee cords.
2. The Flex does not have unattractive bolt covers on top of the panel (by the cab) like the Bakflip.
3. The Flex stands vertically instead of leaning against the cab like the Bakflip.
4. The seal between the panels on the Flex has two vertical pieces which makes the seals more beefy. The Bakflip does not have the vertical pieces.
5. The BakFlip's seals on top of and on each side of the cab panel is rather unattractive. The Flex does not require such seals.
6. The Flex costs less than any Bakflip cover. I bet Undercover planned it that way. :D

#9 ·
^^^ all of this.

I have the UC Flex and loving it. I never heard of UC prior to buying it but I came across the Bakflip on google search so I decided to search for local vendor. I contacted the local vendor to order but the guy on the phone talked me out of buying BF and showed me the UC video which sold me immediately. So far I love the UC Flex, what I would add to Gone's list is the seller also told me its made of stronger fibreglass cover so they don't dent like BF. the frame still made of aluminum.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
The BAKFLIP Fibermax is held against the back window with a rod that is attached to the rail and locks into the folded cover. No bungee covers needed.

Reactions: Wacked
#7 · (Edited)
Undercover obviously copied BAKFlip and added a few minor improvement. Come on, how many of you don't have a bungee cord in their truck?

What Undercover does not have is a track record on flip-type covers. (yet) What impressed me about F1 was this picture of a Tundra that went through a tornado. Clearly F1 did better than the Tundra.

Attachments

Reactions: Wacked and NIE_Cal
#10 · (Edited)
Yes, Undercover copied Bakflip. If you fold the cover open but not stand it up against the cab, you will need two bungee cords to hook onto the D-rings that are installed on the Bakflip. Let me tell you about Bak's track record. Remember the early Bakflips, like the G1? They literally fell apart because they were glued together and the glue did not stand up to heat. In addition, the seals peeled off the covers. Yes, Bak sure does have a track record, but I don't think they're proud of it. :eek:

#12 ·
Backflip HD here, had it for two years, zero issues. Stays in the sun as well since I don't fit in the garage.

#16 ·
I have it. The first one was a headache, seams let loose on the outer weatherstrip and the rivets rusted. The warranty replacement they sent me however has been great.

#14 ·
123, that cover looks very bad. Looks nothing like mine though. Mine is flawless so far.

My point was not that BAK makes perfect products all the time. It's just that they have been making it for a longer period so they had more time to make mistakes and improve. I am always weary of 1st gen products.

When you look at the video made by the president of Undercover, of course Flex looks good. I am not gonna bother to link the post made by the president of BAK about Flex. But the rebuttal is there if you want to search.

By the way, apparently Flex is already having issues with screws, etc, discussed on other forums.

#15 ·
Point taken, thanks!

I sell both (not on the forum, of course) and I have dealer displays of both. I would say that 95% of my customers choose the Flex because of the differences I mentioned previously. Basically, better design and better price. Most of the remaining 5% are Ford folks who want a Bak because one model is officially Ford approved.

#18 ·
I got my Flex and installed it last week and so far I love it! Everything feels of high quality and the install took about 45min.

I took it through a car wash and I did have a leak up towards the cab but the kit came with a seal I didn't install and I'm confident that the seal or an adjustment to the cover (sliding it up towards the cab about an 1/8 of an inch) will alleviate that leak. Even so, only about 1/4c of water leaked through. It rained all night last night and I checked the truck this morning and there was even less water in there.

So far so good! I'll post up any issues I have and get some pics eventually. :)

#19 ·
BAKFlip F1 Problems

I installed a BAKFlip F1 on my '13 Crewmax the 2nd week of June. It has leaked since day 1. Nothing major, but it does leak.

In less than 2 months, I have had issues with 2 of the latches. One latch stopped working completely. I later took it apart and found the latch wire loop had become uncrimped where it attaches to the latch.
The rear latch was very hard to close. The entire back panel would shift in order for the latch to slip down into the track.

I called BAKFlip about these issues. The people I've talked to on the phone there seem to know little to nothing about their products. They sent two replacement latch assemblies - both of which are too long for my truck. They couldn't offer any help over the phone on these. I ended up figuring it out myself. I had to rob parts from the new latch assemblies and put them in the old assemblies to get them to work.

If I had to do it over again, I would try an Undercover Flex or a Fold-a-Cover G4.

#21 ·
I want to know if UnderCover is going to make a unit that has a vinyl top over the hard panels. Like the BakFlip VP unit.

I emailed them at the beginning of the week but have not heard back yet.

#27 ·
spoke with the undercover company and it will work with oem bed rails.. Need to select the correct model number.

#31 ·
I would stay away from Bakflip. Mine is 3 years old and is all rusted and looks like shit :(. I am looking at a new option.

Reactions: Balls-on-fire
#32 ·
In Texas the most solid ones are the Undercover one pieces black of course lids.
I have a Retrax, broke at a plastic piece out of warranty and for a small price prorated difference the company sent out a whole new canister.
I would do a trifold type or solid lid in future if it was me.

#34 ·
I honestly think it comes down to which 2 covers you are comparing. The Flex should be compared to the Fibermax. The G2 has aluminum panels and the Flex and Fibermax have a fiberglass composite type panels. This makes a difference because the painted aluminum scratches and dents alot easier than the composite. That being said, when comparing the Fibermax to the Flex you should look at the subtle differences in features and price. The Flex is less money and I have heard good and bad about both (good 95% of the time). PM me with questions and for pricing.

Thanks
Josh
Svcustoms.com

#35 ·
FYI..... I just ordered the clamps that fit in the factory rail tie down system. Can anyone tell me how well this works vs the standard clamps? I want use of the factory rail system without giving up use of the Undercover flex.

Also. Is anyone aware if you can use a bed extender with the cover rails on?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.