DDM LED bulbs causing a problem? Help please - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
DDM LED bulbs causing a problem? Help please

Hi everyone need some help please. Truck is a 2013 Tundra Platinum. I went to install some DDM Tuning LED bulbs H11 in my low beams for better visibility. Ok so the install went well and they are plug and play everything fits as they should.

Almost the next day I'm having some electrical problems now. So I removed the LED's and back to stock. Same problem. Checked all fuses under the hood box and under the dash box. All are fine?!? Read with my scanner and got C1231 I believe steering angle circuit.

Basically I have no power without the key in - ignition and turned to the on position. The power locks do not work without key in power on. No memory function also but steering can still adjust. Also the skid/traction light is on and airbag light and passenger seat belt/airbag light won't go off, essentially saying no airbags armed.

I had this exact problem before when a shop installed running boards for me with lights and did a hack job on the wiring under the dash. I repaired that to stock, and turned out to be fuses blown more so for that problem. But not this time by the looks of it unless I'm missing an area of fuses to check?

I've taken some pictures if I can get them to upload. Throw me some ideas I am a diesel mechanic so this stuff isn't foreign to me but I just can't figure out yet where to look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (163.5 KB, 53 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Here is a picture with the dash lights on. Airbag and skid/traction
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (188.5 KB, 53 views)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:46 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Garage
Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for 30 minutes? Seems like the lights are unrelated to what you are experiencing.

Sent from my Commodore 64 with cassette tape backup.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Sorry not sure how to upload all in one post. This website is not Tablet friendly Here is the scanner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (194.1 KB, 50 views)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
This is the passenger lights that won't go out even when buckled up and someone in front passanger seat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (195.2 KB, 39 views)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon Cider View Post
Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for 30 minutes? Seems like the lights are unrelated to what you are experiencing.
I'll have to give that a try I had negative off for Mabey 5 mins putting stock lights back in. Yes the codes and lights are not an actual problem it's something else that tripped those lights on dash.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:59 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Garage
According to some searching on the forum, the code you are receiving may be from the VSC sensor. Lift and oversized tires causing vsc problems. Do you have a lift on your truck?

Sent from my Commodore 64 with cassette tape backup.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dixon Cider For This Useful Post:
yotadrew88 (03-30-2017)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon Cider View Post
According to some searching on the forum, the code you are receiving may be from the VSC sensor. Lift and oversized tires causing vsc problems. Do you have a lift on your truck?
No lift and just stock 20's and winter tires. I've unplugged it over night now we will see in the morning. I'll update here what I find. Might have to take this one to the dealer ��

I should mention the dome lights don't work either unless key is in on position. Factory remote won't open or lock doors there has to be power to the truck with key. Once I have that everything is as normal besides the dash lights on. I'll do some reading on vsc. I'm wondering if the vsc ecu is damaged Mabey? Does that ecu control airbag as well? And why no power to locks or dome lights or auto-retracting steering wheel with key off/out? These are some questions I hope to figure out. Because everything is fine function wise with key on so it can't be damaged to that extent. Mabey I damaged a few ecus. I don't know how as the LED Bulbs were very simple direct plug in. I've read Toyotas don't have an actual ground in the headlight circuit wires to bulb, so Mabey I shorted something with that LED bulb and ballast and the fuses didn't protect it? Lol sorry just late night rambling here!

Last edited by yotadrew88; 03-30-2017 at 01:48 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Well checked it out connected the battery after sitting all night and most of the day and same issues. This one might need to go to the dealer. I find it hard to believe a set of LED bulbs messed this up. Mabey a failed ecu or shorted/damaged one. Any other suggestions? I won't be able to get it to the dealer for two weeks or so anyways.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
This sounds like a blown fuse.

Maybe this video might help?

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2...terior/replace
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bootman For This Useful Post:
Dixon Cider (04-02-2017), yotadrew88 (04-03-2017)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman View Post
This sounds like a blown fuse.

Maybe this video might help?

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2...terior/replace
Thanks bootman that is some good info. For the hell of it I went threw all fuses in the engine compartment and the under dash compartment both visually and tested them with a tool my fuse kit came with that lights up green if fuse is good. All was good. I even swapped a few with new ones to see no difference. I reset battery for 24hours nothing. Used scanner to delete codes nothing.

Since I had this issue before when they did my running boards is it possible a wire I repaired came loose? Is there another location of fuses or relay for the power locks and dome light system with key off? It's so weird because everything works fine with key in and turned to the on position. This tells me the problem is in the circuit that controls key off power. Last time it was fuses but not this time.

I may just have to suck it up and take it in to the dealer. It's out of warranty on electrical I think so hopefully it doesn't sting to bad $$
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Do you guys really think this problem was caused by the DDM LED install? Is that even possible or is it something else just coincidentally at the same time as I installed the lights?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Here is an update to this problem. While driving to work over the last two weeks one day I come out of work at the end of the day and the truck is completely back to normal all functions work that were lost and no codes at all. Now about two weeks later the problem re-appears out of no where so I'm right back to the same spot! What the hell would cause this? That is really strange to me definitely not a fuse problem as it fixed itself at one point for a week or more. Is it a loose wire somewhere possibly?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Sounds like a loose wire somewhere. I'd go back over all the wires you had to take care of because of the hack job.

05 DC Limited
Phantom Grey Pearl
Window Tint Matches Rear
Drop in K&N Filter
Bilstein 5100's all around
Michelin LTX M/S2
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8torT View Post
Sounds like a loose wire somewhere. I'd go back over all the wires you had to take care of because of the hack job.
Might have to look under the truck. To bump this thread within the last month it's been fixing itself and then reappearing. Oddly enough I've discovered now after several occurrences that the problem returns only when it rains outside. As soon as it stops raining and dries up over a week or so the problem goes away and codes go away. It must be something getting wet or moisture which is bizarre as most the wiring was inside the cab footwell area. I'll have too look more closely under the truck where the wires run from Mabey they tried to hack into something under the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Lighting/Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.