Added 40" single row LED behind grill - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Added 40" single row LED behind grill

For those of you who would like to add a 'hidden' 40-inch single row LED to your Tundra, I was able to make it work. It took about 5 hours from start to finish but if I had to do it again, I could probably finish in half the time. Here is what I did:

First, as you move along, be sure to continually check your measurements. I must have inserted and removed the light bar 20 times. You know the saying - measure twice, cut once.

Here we go:
I removed the top part of the grill which consisted of 3 bolts and 6 plastic clips. After removing the 3 bolts, I grabbed the right side of the grill and popped it off.

Next I used my dremel and cut the 3 front supports and bent them down. I would use these bent supports later for a PCV board. I also cut part of the bottom holes where the plastic clips mount to the hood. I had to do this b/c I needed the clearance for the bar.
1.png

I grabbed the mounts supplied with the light and mounted them to the light bar. I had to cut out part of the hood so the bar would fit. I already cut the crap out of the supports so I was already locked in at this point. :/
2.png

3.png

Next the fun part. Since the depth of the light bar is deeper than the rear supports on the hood, instead of cutting them, I thought I would try to knock them back with a mallet. Worked like a charm and since they aren't directly connected to the top of the hood, it didn't effect the hood at all. I knocked all 6 rear supports back and then bent down the front 3.
4.png

Now the fabrication part. Since the stock mounts would not work b/c of a 7/8" height difference, I went to Lowes and picked up a piece of flat bar, cut it into 5" lengths and bent it.
5.png

If you don't already have some, get Tap Magic to help cut and drill. It makes a HUGE difference.
6.png

Now to dry fit it. Somehow all my measurements were correct so it fit perfect.
7.png
9.png

I had to remove the clip holder mounts on the grill b/c they were getting in the way now that that light bar was in place. Time to dremel some more...
12.png
13.png

Time for another dry fit to make sure everything is fitting the way it should. I used a wooden block to keep it in place.
14.png

Time for the home stretch. I mounted the light bar into position and bolted everything down. I then CLOSED the hood and used a level to make sure the light was sitting at 90-degrees. After a little adjusting, removing the light bar for the final time, I tightened everything and reinstalled it. NOTE: make sure your truck is on a level surface before you level the light bar.
15.png

Here is a picture of the bolts holding under the hood holding the brackets.
18.png

I cut the power harness wire b/c the connector was way to big to fish through the existing holes in the hood. It only took a minute to run the wires since the channel in the hood was more than wide enough. I soldered the wires, used shrink tube and was good to go.
19.png

After putting everything back together, I noticed when looking in the grill, the bent metal and inside the compartment was showing. It looked pretty ghetto so I cut a piece of PVC board (PVC board will not rot), painted it flat black and used the 3 front supports I cut earlier and bent down to hold the board. Much better!
16.png
17.png

And now the final product using the 200w light bar from MudLifeLED:

T1.png

t2.png

t3.png

t4.png

t5.png
Attached Images
File Type: png 8.png (776.8 KB, 151 views)
File Type: png 10.png (1.16 MB, 161 views)

2016 Tundra CrewMax 4x4 1794
3" Daystar Lift
Custom made sliders
275/65/20 T/A KO2s
Rigid 50231H D2 and 92031EM SR-Series (hidden)
UnderCover Flex Bed Cover | LED bed lighting | SwingCase | Remote tailgate lock | ESP Truck Storage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jataga For This Useful Post:
Black tundra15 (01-23-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Nice work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobby79 For This Useful Post:
shdtree (01-23-2017)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 02:08 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Nice work. Like your attention to detail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Toyota Tundra 1794 Attitude Black.
TRD Intake, TRD Sway Bar, SBAM, Linex bed spray, NW Undercoating, Interior LEDs,
Tailgate power lock, 40" behind the grill light bar with OEM style light switch

"Roll Your Rear Window Down Because The Truck Behind You Can't Do It" club member #38

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Garage
You lost me at "cut"

When are you staying overnight in SoCal?

Looks great!

2015 Tundra CrewMax, Magnetic Gray Metallic....SR5 Upgraded bucket seats, Pro Comp Pro-Runner 2.5" front strut leveling lift, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, XD Monster II 20x9 wheels (+18 offset), Nitto Terra Grappler G2 275/60-20 tires, N-Fab Nerf Bars......debadged

Magnetic Gray Metallic Club member #319
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:50 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,261 Times in 878 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Great job...

Learn it, know it, live it.
2014 Tundra Double Cab TSS SR5 5.7
Official Magnetic Grey Club # 305
Texas Tundra Group #183
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:03 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Talking

Looks good !!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Wow....appreciate the super detailed write up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Lighting/Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.