Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Headlight bulbs. Stupid question

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Crewmax808 
#1 ·
So, do our trucks need 2 different bulbs for high and low?

I'm looking at HID or just dropping some silverstars in there to get rid of the yellow.
Do I have to buy 2 sets of bulbs or what ?

#2 · (Edited)
Depends on the year of your Tundra. My 2015 has one bulb for both high and low beam H4. My buddys 2008 takes two 9005 high and H11 low.

For HID you'll need a bi xenon light bulb for headlamps that only take one like my 2015 or two kits for the ones that take two like my buddys 08

#3 ·
2016 So H4 is what I was looking at. Thanks for the confirm

#4 ·
Yep, single bulb but dual filament. That's why Plug and Play bulbs don't work great in our application. But does your Spyder lights use a different bulb setup? Not sure if your high and low beams both come out of the projector up in there.

#5 ·
@GreatAvalon, I'm not sure. I know I can run a H9 HID but there were bulbs already in these.
My stock bulbs went to you.
I assume you can run stock size bulbs in these as no where does it say anything about new ones.

#6 ·
Hmm...H9 is definitely a different bulb than the stock bulb size, probably not able to run H4 in those headlights.

But I just took a look at those headlights and they don't have a separate high beam bulb, so I would imagine the projector has a moving shield that opens up when you click your high beams on. Similar to bi-xenon projectors. Easy way to tell is have someone turn your high beams on and place your head near the headlight and see if you can hear a mechinal "click" sound.

But yea, so if those new headlights use H9, then that is a single filament bulb. There's no separate high beam bulb (it appears to me at least using google images), so that means 2 things: 1) a shield inside the projector moves allowing the light beam to go high in high beam mode, and 2) a H9 HID bulb should help low beam and high beam.

Only way it's different is if there was 2 bulbs plugged in to the projector. But that's pretty doubtful IMO.

#7 ·
Blerg. I just read that they come with H9 halogens. Doesn't look like the silverstars come in H9.

#8 ·
Shoot. I just did a quick search and it doesn't really look like there are any H9 halogens that perform any better than the rest. One guy mentioned Hella, but reviews aren't that great: https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-H83300...H83300052-High-Performance-Bulb/dp/B00O616SB4

^Those don't look to have blue tinted glass (clear indicator of a crap bulb, ex: Nokyas), but not sure about them at all.

You thinking of running "improved" halogens over an HID kit? What about trying something like these: H9 LED Headlight Kit | H9 LED Foglight Upgrade

It's a crap shoot if they'll work well or not. With LED headlight bulbs, they either work nicely or poorly; nothing in between.

#9 ·
No leds. From what I've read they've been tested in these and do poorly.
35w 5500k HID I guess is the choice.

#10 ·
That's what makes sense to me! You read any about people running HIDs in them? I bet the projector does a fine job

#11 ·
Just what the guy selling them at Nolimit Automotive solutions has said. He tested quite a few and mentioned this was the best option

I was just trying to find a stop gap until I was ready to drop 150 on HIDs.

#14 ·
He has aftermarket headlights (Spyder). The truck owner's manual is useless for him.

#15 ·
What ^ said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.