Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Retrofit problem. Lighting pros chime in!

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  NervouZ 
#1 ·
Got a complete retrofit done by eldoubleu. Very happy with the work and customer service before/ during the sale.

About a week ago, my driver side headlight went out. I replaced the bulbs with second rate bulbs only to find that my drivers side headlight was still non op.

I switched the ballasts around (passenger side ballast to drivers side and vice versa) but headlight is still not working.

I switched the wiring harness that connects the d2s bulb to the ballast with the same result.

I switched everything I could from the passenger side (ballast, wires, bulbs) to the drivers side and from drivers side to passenger, same result..drivers side headlight still out.

Drivers high beam is also out as the d2s use the same bulb for high/ low beam. All other headlight components are working beautifully (led strip, halo,switch backs, everything) on both sides.

I contacted eldoubleu and he's confident that it's a faulty ignitor. He's the pro so I trust him but I'm still a little unsure if it's in fact the ignitor as I switched around the ignitors and am having the same problem.

Help please!

See less See more
#2 ·
A little more info..headlights initially went out about a week ago as stated. When I put everything back together (grill etc)..headlights worked again. Two days ago, drivers headlight went out again and have been out since. Just now, I went to run am errand and their both fine again. They'll probably go out again in a couple days.

How do I fix this!?

#4 ·
Morimoto xb35.

Being as I moved everything from the side that worked to the side that didn't and still had the same problem. I thought maybe a fuse?

I pulled out the 15a and they both look fine. I put them back in and my both headlights worked again? The fuses weren't lose when I removed them so I don't know if that was an issue.

I'll see if they still work tomorrow when the weather gets better. Until then, any other ideas?

#5 ·
So you swapped the ballasts and bulbs and the problem stayed on the same side?

#7 ·
even swapped the relay harness...that's what I was going to guess it was. So what else remained at that light?

Possible to disconnect the MotoControl from passenger side and plug the end that was going to the passenger side into the driver side and leave the passenger side undone just to test? That's the only thing I can think of that would be left the same. Just thinking out loud here

#8 ·
All my testing and swapping around has thankfully given me knowledge I lacked about these components prior, of which I'm thankful for.

All the wires/relays I have going into the passenger side, I have on the drivers. They've all been swapped around and the problem persists.

This leads me to believe that the issue is independent to the drivers side..to be more specific, I believe it may have to do with a wire inside of the headlight itself but those wires (I believe) connect the halos and led strip, not the headlight bulb.

Process of illumination, and lack of further knowledge regarding auto electrics, lead me to believe that it was the fuse. But again, those were checked and are in stellar condition.

Hopefully the lights will work all day tomorrow. If so, I'll guess that the problem was with a loose fuse.

#9 ·
You're right, the only connection the bulb has is at the back of the bulb. Nothing up in the light.. Maybe it was a loose fuse somehow. Keep us updated tomorrow to see if you touching the fuse helped it

#11 ·
I also had my headlights retrofitted by eledobleu (awesome job, btw). I experienced the same exact issue, except that it was on the passenger side. I swapped everything out from the driver's side, and I still had the same problem. I was about to give up and go back to stock headlights when I decided to check the grounds. I moved the grounds elsewhere, and guess what? Everything has been working perfectly since then. I hope this helps.

#13 · (Edited)
do the driver and pass lights use there own grounds. mine do. if you swapped everything that is all thats left is the possibility of separate grounds and the drivers side is bad or disconnected.

#14 ·
Mine used separate grounds per side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.