Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

One piece Fob?

67K views 346 replies 78 participants last post by  broncorm 
#1 ·
I miss the one piece key fob that my 4runner had.

Could I purchase an uncut 4runner key/fob and have it cut programmed for my tundra? They both only use 3 buttons(lock, unlock, panic).

Tried searching but didn't come up with anything.

#2 ·
Try it and see, don't know why it wouldn't work, it has to be programmed anyhow, unless they are actually vehicle model specific? Not really sure haven't messed with them too much I unlock my door with the key anyhow. No point in having a remote you still gotta get in it, start it, and drive it. If I had remote start it would be nice, but I have to go out and unlock it to start it anyhow so no real need for a remote in my case.

#5 ·
Hmm, take the key to the dealer and have them see if it can be programmed. I'm not sure how to program that stuff, if you know I don't see why it would hurt to try it. Course if you want to use the key you'll have to have it cut, but I don't really see why you couldn't have the remote itself programmed to your truck if it has never been programmed before.

#13 ·
Vw key fob is one of the cheapest-best mods i have ever done.I think i paid $50 for mine.

Reactions: Dixon Cider
#16 ·
Both keys will work with 2015. Vw key fob is better looking though.Click on Steven's link and send them an email, thats what i did.Also i have to mention my key fob has Toyota sign instead of VW.

#18 ·
Here's the pic

Attachments

#21 ·
I did this for my 2014. I had the key cut at Home Depot - and the nice guy didn't even charge me for it.

Then I bought a cable and downloaded the TechStream software and programmed it myself in about 30 minutes.

All up, cost about $80. And there more stuff to play around with in TechStream if you're so inclined. It's super easy, don't be afraid to give it a shot.

derp

#32 · (Edited)
I think we talked about this several months ago...

Where did you buy techstream from again? Link to the one you bought?

After some sleep, I realize the error of my ways

#22 ·
Has anyone ordered one of those flip keys in the past 6 months or so? I tried to order one last July, but his website wasn't working right, then when I checked a few minutes later he has that message about having to purchase it on paypal as a "gift" which means you have absolutely no recourse if he just decides not to sell it. If people here are still buying them and have had no problems I'd feel comfortable ordering one, but I'd like to know some other people have still been ordering them. I bought a copy of techstream about 6 months ago as well, now I've just gotta figure out what I did with the thing....

I was EXTRA excited after I got my remote starter installed because I thought it'd be pointless to get the flip key when I'd have to carry the remote fob anyway, but he programmed the truck so hitting the lock button 3 times on any remote will start my truck, so now I can get the flip key and still use it to start the truck if I need to.

#24 ·
Compustar 7200 I believe. The guy at best buy didn't give me the box back so I'm not 100% sure anymore. I bought a separate 2-way remote to go with it for the distance, don't remember the brand but I can let you know tomorrow when I have my keys with me if you want to know. Works well... Only complaints are that my parking lights come on when I start it, I always liked how the drl stayed off till I took off the parking brake, as to not advertise that my truck was running unattended... And that when I use the starter I can't get my phone to connect by bluetooth. It usually will when I start it normally with the key, but sometimes now it'll just randomly disconnect even then. It was really frustrating for a while. I think I've just gotten used to it now.

#26 ·
Purchased my flip key back in october.I've emailed a guy from Ovnisf keys he asked me to pay $50 via paypal and 4-5 days later i received my flip key in the mail.

Reactions: desmodromic
#31 ·
Hey All

one gotcha, if you dont intend to have to see a dealership to get the key working you'll need Tech stream to bind the transponder to your truck.

it caught me. But there is tons of info on the fourms

#34 ·
Reactions: irishpride114
#35 ·
Thanks.

What version of Windows did you use?

#37 ·
That sucks. I have Windows 7 64bit. It's all but impossible to find something that is compatible with my system.

#39 ·
You can actually make this work on any OS if you're patient.

Full disclosure, I'm a fairly experienced sys admin.

I use a program called Virtual box, it allows me to run XP on my Mac, or any other computer for that matter. I'll write up a how to and post it up, with a copy of the virtual image. I've been meaning to do this for awhile.

#41 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.