Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

why was there a plug attached to my windshield?

5K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  eclipse3g 
#1 ·
I had safelite come to my workplace today to change the windshield on my 2014 Tundra. When I called them, they asked if I had a heated windshield and I said as far as I knew, I did not have a heated windshield. When they removed the windshield, there was a plug attached to the bottom of the windshield and initially the technician stated that it must in fact be a heated windshield. The only problem is, it wasn't plugged into anything and upon further inspection, there was no place for it to plug into. Doesn't that seem strange?

#3 ·
Where is the plug at on the windshield? I'd kind of like to find out if my truck actually has the heated windshield. Really can't tell for sure as the defrost does the defrosting from what I can tell. Any way of being able to check for sure? Having a "cold weather" package really doesn't mean it in fact has all that stuff they say its supposed to have LOL.

#4 ·
Tomorrow, go out five minutes early and hit the button that heats your mirrors and see if the fog at the bottom of the windshield goes away without the defroster on.

Reactions: Wynnded and Manoah
#9 ·
It's what red river said. You need a bright flashlight shining in the black lower part of the windshield to see the heated lines. The package also came with a heavy duty starter. I have this package on mine but I don't notice a lot of benefit on the windshield. The heated mirrors are great though.

#10 ·
When I have my 2005 Tundra, I know it had the cold weather package. I do have heated mirrors on my 1794, but I'm not aware of it having the cold weather package. There's not many options for the Platinum or 1794.

#11 · (Edited)
Sorry for the crappy pics, but it was difficult to get in there. I didn't feel like taking the wiper arms off. I have a 2014 Limited CrewMax, and this is what I found.

ETA: Mine appears to be plugged in.

Attachments

Reactions: wildbill23c
#13 ·
Update: Over the weekend, I noticed/heard a slight air leak. Called safelite and they sent a tech to my house yesterday. He took a ride with me and validated air coming in from somewhere. When he took the cover and wipers off, he showed me actually where the heated windshield plugs into; apparently the tech that installed it last week didn't know what he was talking about. He called the office and made them aware that the wrong windshield was put in. He's actually on this way this morning to install my new heated windshield at no additional cost to me. He didn't tell me the cost but he said the heated is a lot more expensive than the non heated. Very pleased with the customer service/warranty support from safelite.

#14 ·
That's good news. Take a pic if you can. I would like to know if it is the same type of connection(other than color) as the one I pictured in the post above. Just curious as to what connector I took a picture of.

#15 ·
Sorry, wasn't able to take pics. But your photo's in the above post is correct. That is exactly what it looks like and your's appears to be plugged in. My old windshield had a yellowish looking male adapter. The windshield they put in this morning had a black plastic male adapter. I'm happy now, got a heated windshield for the price of a non heated. About to put her on the road; hopefully I don't have any air leak like the first one.

#18 · (Edited)
Safelite always does a great job. It's been a LONG time since I've been impressed by someones work ethics and attention to detail. I had my 2014 Tundra and the wifes 2008 Lexus ES350 windshields replaced within weeks of each other and the work was phenomenal. They even dusted and vacuumed the vehicles after.

Note: Geico kept giving me the run around on OEM spec glass for the Lexus. The Tundra was 6 months old so they went ahead and put factory glass in but they wanted me to pay the difference between the $480 Chinese aftermarket and $1800 Lexus OEM glass for my wifes car. To which I responded "I'm sorry but it has OEM glass on it now and thats what I've been insuring the last 4 years!"

Well, after some research I found that Geico will only approve the OEM glass on older cars if the aftermarket option doesn't meet all the specs of the original OEM. So I had the agent read off all the specs of the aftermarket glass and told her I'd call her back. What I found was AWESOME! Apparently when you buy a Lexus you can get your windshield treated (or optioned) with a titanium silica treatment or some such BS for water repellent capabilities and it clicked! Every time I wash her car the water just beads off like freshly waxed paint so I knew it had the option! I called back Geico and asked very firmly "Does this replacement Chinese glass have the safety treatment? The titanium silica for save driving in the rain?" .....crickets..... "No sir but I see the OEM glass does" ..... crickets.... "Sir, I just got you approved for the Lexus glass at zero cost. Have a nice day."

So there ya go boys... drop the "Titanium Silica" line! lol

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/magazine/articles/Vehicle-Insider/Water-Protection

Reactions: Wynnded
#19 · (Edited)
Ok, I had to go look... mine has the heated mirrors and heated wipers (which is a small heat strip across the bottom of the windshield). On the climate control panel just above the mode switch is the button for mirror heat and wiper heat, it has the heat symbol and a wiper symbol on it, can't find a pic on the web.

This is on a '14 DC TRD Limited.

Hope this helps

#21 ·
Found this on "New Car Test Drive review of the 2012 Tundra", so it implies from 2012 on Heated Mirrors and Windshield are STD items.

For 2012, more standard equipment has been added: All 2012 Tundra V8s come with a heavy-duty battery and starter. All 2012 Tundra models get a windshield wiper de-icer, daytime running lights, front and rear mudguards, and heated power outside mirrors. 2012 Tundra Limited and 2012 Tundra TRD Rock Warrior now come standard with rearview cameras.

#22 ·
Glad I bought a 2012.

#25 ·
So I checked my '12 RW this morning and sure enough the black area where the wipers park themselves defrosted itself when I checked after about 10 minutes, rest of windshield still had frost on it. This was with Fan and Engine off just pressed the button I was using to de-fog/frost the outside mirrors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.