Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Exterior LED Swap on the (fairly) Cheap

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Azblue 
#1 · (Edited)
I know there are a bunch of threads on switchbacks and other exterior LEDs, but I changed the entire truck to LEDs today and thought I'd show my take on a complete change over on a budget and a list of what I used. Overall, I'm happy with the bubs I used, and they didn't cost too much. Also, thanks to @StevenD his build list of bulb sizes really helped.

A couple of caveats on the bulbs. The switchbacks are great, pure white DRL, and nice amber turns, but, the DRL are amber with the truck running untill you turn the headlights on, then they are white. With the engine off, they are white. The amber turns work perfect regardless of engine on/off. I can only assume that this is because of how Toyota wires the truck.
I ordered red brake LEDs but received white. They actually look fine, but I emailed the seller and will change them when they ship me red ones. Only difference I can think of is that it will be a deeper red once I get the red bulbs.

I did 3ohm resistors in the tail light housings so I only had to use 2. I worry about the heat from these, so this is the one item I didn't go cheap on. I don't know if the Vled ones really run any cooler than eBay ones because I've never used the cheaper gold ones, but just the greater surface area of the Vled's, to me, should help. I placed a small nut as a spacer between the resistor and the truck body to allow for some air flow. As a test for the heat level, I left a stock incandescent bulb in the parking light socket, an LED in the turn socket and turned the parking lights and turn signal on. After 7 minutes, the bulb was 201 degrees, the Vleds resistor, 179. Not too bad, and they were only $24 (with connectors) vs about $8 for eBay ones.

Pics: in order- Front- switchbacks (drivers side, stock in passenger)
Rear- Reverse, lights on, brake lights, turns (used hazzards), and cargo lights. I'll get night shots later.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/closeouts/acme-3157-switchback-leds.html#.VZhefxtVhHw

http://www.vleds.com/resistors/turn-signal-resistors-52/lr-hd-c.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231317364999?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331088794988?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251930850596?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Attachments

See less See more
1 9
#2 ·
Night pics.

In order - Tail lights, brake lights, reverse, turn signals (hazzards), cargo, and the front switchbacks.

Attachments

#4 ·
I used 2 Vleds 3ohm in the rear instead of 4 6ohm on each corner. I did test it with and without the resistors, the only difference was hyperflash. It is odd, as soon as you activate the headlight circuit, even just the parking lights, they are white. The only time the DRL are amber is with the engine running but no lights turned on, or the turn signals.

#7 ·
Thanks for this. Having just finished up my retro, I am now looking to convert the rear to LED. I have already put 7440 XB LEDs in the reverse lights (which I am quite happy with). I am going to be taking my tails off soon to redo the tint (going to not tint over the reverse portion and also going to only do one coat over brake/turn instead of two). When I do, I want to swap to LED.

How are you liking the brake and turn bulbs? I'll also be doing the 3rd BL as well. I'll need to get 5 921 bulbs (3 in the 3rd BL, and the 2 turn sigs in the tails) and 2 3157s for the park/brake. I'm tempted to stick with XB LEDs for the 3157 (used them in the front) but I think I may want something with more side or backwards lighting). The type you chose seems to be a better option but I'm not 100% sure. I have $75 in amazon balance right now so I'd love to just use that to get bulbs!

#8 ·
Thanks for this. Having just finished up my retro, I am now looking to convert the rear to LED. I have already put 7440 XB LEDs in the reverse lights (which I am quite happy with). I am going to be taking my tails off soon to redo the tint (going to not tint over the reverse portion and also going to only do one coat over brake/turn instead of two). When I do, I want to swap to LED.

How are you liking the brake and turn bulbs? I'll also be doing the 3rd BL as well. I'll need to get 5 921 bulbs (3 in the 3rd BL, and the 2 turn sigs in the tails) and 2 3157s for the park/brake. I'm tempted to stick with XB LEDs for the 3157 (used them in the front) but I think I may want something with more side or backwards lighting). The type you chose seems to be a better option but I'm not 100% sure. I have $75 in amazon balance right now so I'd love to just use that to get bulbs!

I like them a lot, especially for the price. Understanding that they are still in a reflector designed for "normal" bulbs, they look really good. I'd say that they "fill" the lens with light about 95% on parking/running light mode. When you hit the brakes, they look especially nice.

I'd say my biggest surprise are the turn/3rd brake light. They were so cheap 4/$12.50, I was not expecting much, but they look really good.

#11 ·
He is exactly right. I don't know why I put 8 instead of 3.

#15 · (Edited)
I just thought I'd pass on the email I got back from TRS regarding the amber/white DRL dependency on the headlights being on. I guess it'a a Toyota thing. Still, especially considering the price on clearance, I would recommend the switchbacks. The bulbs themself are nice.

Hi xxxx,

Thanks for your reply! I just confirmed with xxxxxxx that his Tacoma acts exactly the same why with our bulbs, its just the way that Toyota has wired up that socket.

Regards,

xxxxxx @ TRS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.