Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Headlight adjustment?

73K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  calebian21 
#1 ·
So like most folks I'm a bit miffed with the headlight on my 2015 TRD Pro. Low beams seem to be adjusted too far down when at "0" on the headlight adjustment. Is there a way to simply adjust these up like a normal headlight? Nothing real obvious other than a plastic gear on the backside. Thanks for any input.

#2 ·
Open your hood. Take a philips screw driver and stick it in the plastic (white) gear and turn clockwise for up, counter clockwise for down. Though I dont suggest doing this as factory height is adjusted to DOT standards. The Headlights itself are just not good and doesnt provide enough light which is why most people are getting it retrofitted.

#3 · (Edited)
AGREED!!!!

I think they're extremely dangerous!

Here's a quote from Drive Safely.net

Don't Overdrive Your Headlights
Most speed limits are set for driving during the day in dry, clear conditions - not for driving at night. Your headlights should illuminate the road ahead of you for approximately 4 seconds of headway.

I snapped this pic yesterday morning...

At 70mph I could BARELY see one(1) second in front of me!

I know the likely answer we're going to get is "install HIDS".. but I'm not interested in doing that, the lights are plenty bright as they are, they just need to be aimed better.

#6 ·
Exactly. So I figure I'll adjust mine up and then use the adjustment to make them "right" if too bright. Mine look exactly like the pic you snapped...

If they are in spec, then my last 3 trucks and wife's cars have been wrong.

Reactions: Garand
#7 ·
I got my pro last week and the lights are not shining high enough also. Also notice the drivers side light is lower than the passengers side. Does it mess up the motor of the headlight adjustment if you adjusted it with a screw driver?

#8 ·
My 06 Tundra lights def shoot farther out than what your new ones do. I had to adjust mine down once I installed the level kit.

My 2011 Odyssee lights show almost exactly what your new Tundra lights show. It has been a big adjustment for me even after having the van for years. When I pull out of my driveway and go down the hill I can't see anything in front of me except the center of the next hill. Luckily a deer has never walked out in front of me.

I think they put brighter headlight in and then mitigated their effective use by adjusting them down to far.

#9 · (Edited)
I used a socket just now and adjusted both lights up significantly. Now the "0" setting on low beam looks much more like A low beam I'm used to. High beam looks right there as well. In the pics attached, you see setting 3 or 4 vs 0. I'd say 3-4 was where my lights where before based on garage test and pretty close to those shown above.

I'm curious as to what spec is. However, the way they were was not correct or safe IMO.

Attachments

Reactions: levidale08
#11 ·
I used a socket just now and adjusted both lights up significantly. Now the "0" setting on low beam looks much more like A low beam I'm used to. High beam looks right there as well. In the pics attached, you see setting 3 or 4 vs 0. I'd say 3-4 was where my lights where before based on garage test and pretty close to those shown above.

I'm curious as to what spec is. However, the way the were was not correct or safe IMO.
You'll know if you are out of spec if while night driving the person in front of you keeps brake checking you, adjusting their mirror or flipping you off.

I had my wife drive in front of me and as long as I wasn't blinding her in her sedan I felt good about the lights. If I really wanted to blind someone if just fire up all of my lights. Like the knuckleheads that refuse to turn off their high beams while coming at me.

Reactions: Labdoc9
#13 · (Edited)
8mm socket, but I think a screw driver would work. Hard to say how many turns because it is pretty tight. More than I thought though as the adjustment seemed slow. I set my lights on 0, parked close enough to my garage door to get a good reference, and then adjusted up a good bit. I also made the driver and passenger side match.

#15 ·
Good thread- I freaking hate my '14 headlights, my '07 and '11 light were perfect.

#18 ·
So that makes me think the pro lights were adjusted lower than a normal 2014-15 to compensate for the higher front end. Very interesting. And obviously they were aimed down too much. I wonder if they had to be aimed that low to pass some sort of DOT cert.

As far as not blinding people in a sedan...not going to happen. Especially not with a pro. To have any distance at all, they have to be aimed to a level that crushes a sedan in front of you. Heck, I even have my retrofit running on 2 on the dial so I don't blind oncoming cars. But if I am stopped behind you at a stoplight, sorry for your side mirrors, because they are being crushed. Usually the cutoff is hitting in the middle of the side mirror.

It is just the nature of the beast when your headlights are at or above people's side mirrors. That problem is only perpetuated by the Pro being higher off the ground in the front.

Glad you guys were able to fix it :) :thumbsup:

Reactions: Dcsleeper408
#19 ·
So that makes me think the pro lights were adjusted lower than a normal 2014-15 to compensate for the higher front end. Very interesting. And obviously they were aimed down too much. I wonder if they had to be aimed that low to pass some sort of DOT cert.

As far as not blinding people in a sedan...not going to happen. Especially not with a pro. To have any distance at all, they have to be aimed to a level that crushes a sedan in front of you. Heck, I even have my retrofit running on 2 on the dial so I don't blind oncoming cars. But if I am stopped behind you at a stoplight, sorry for your side mirrors, because they are being crushed. Usually the cutoff is hitting in the middle of the side mirror.

It is just the nature of the beast when your headlights are at or above people's side mirrors. That problem is only perpetuated by the Pro being higher off the ground in the front.

Glad you guys were able to fix it
Yea I think the pros were aimed lower to compensate the 2" lift in the front. It had to be done to pass dot regulations. Unfortunately it's not helping drivers of the pro. My cut off usually gets most cars in the side mirrors. Like you said it's just because our trucks are much higher. Mines are measured precisely to what dot standards would be for light aiming on a stock pickup truck. My adjustment dial is at 0 so it can be lowered completely. You should be able to see both cutoffs from both Projectors on the road. Rule of thumb is if you cannot see your cutoff on the road, then it's aimed too high. Same rules apply for lamp style headlights. Hope you guys keep this in mind while aiming any type of light.

#33 ·
So I tried to adjust my headlights tonight and no matter which way I turned the white plastic nut thing, there was no change at all to my headlights. I tried both sides and literally nothing happened. I turned them probably 20 revolutions each. Any idea how to fix this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.