Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Anytime fog light mod (no cutting)

97K views 198 replies 79 participants last post by  QAQA 
#1 · (Edited)
----- 2/1/16 UPDATE -----

Seems like the photos sometimes don't appear. Here is the link to my photobucket album that has all the pictures.

http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/mmichaeljj/library/Anytime%20Fog%20Light%20Mod?sort=3&page=1

------

This has been posted many times before on different forums. I did this a few weeks ago on my 2014 without cutting any of the wires.

I'm not going to cover the basics, I'll just link some other threads where its been covered before. I just wanted to focus on attaching the two wires with the jumper without cutting anything. That way if you ever wanted to reverse the mod, you could just plug the factory wires back into the harness.

Again, this was done on my 2014 platinum.

DIY: How-To Enable “Anytime” Fog Lights for $15 or Less

Toyota Tundra Forum - Foglight Anytime mod - easiest way???

FREE 2014 Toyota Tundra fog light Mod.

Following the instructions above you want to locate the two connectors / harnesses. The white one is a little higher into the truck. It's the middle one I'm pointing to.

After unplugging it you'll want to unlock the pins / wires inside the harness.

To unlock the pins, you have to raise the little bar on one side of the harness / connector.

Next you will want to find the wire you want to remove. I didn't take a picture of where the wire is in the connector. I think one of the above links said it was the wire in location #28 . Once you find it, insert something very small into the end of the harness / connector opposite of the wires. I used a sewing needle.

This picture shows the end you want to insert the needle into.

This picture shows where the needle goes. I don't think this picture was taken during the anytime fog light mod so please don't assume I have the needle inserted into the correct spot. It's only to show you where the needle goes.

Once you insert the needle you just pull back on the wire to remove it from the harness / connector. You shouldn't have to use any force. It might take a little while the first time. What you're doing by inserting the needle is moving the metal portion of the wire just enough to clear the inside of the connector. If you pull back and push on the wire, you'll feel it catch. This next picture kind of shows what you're trying to get to clear. On the lower left of the square terminal you can see it sticks out a little. That is what's catching when you pull back on the wire without raising it up.

Here I'm pointing the other harness in the kick panel area.

You want to repeat the above steps to remove the wire from the harness / connector. This shows the wire partially removed.

This picture shows the pink wire from the upper harness / connector and the yellow jumper wire I used to connect it to the other wire down below from the kick panel.

A little shrink tubing to keep things attached and protected.

Now connect the jumper cable to the gray wire below using the same method. If you ever want to reverse the mod, remove the jumper wire and plug the factory wire back into the appropriate spot on the harness / connector.

Hope this helps someone out.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks Michael! I like the idea of not cutting it too. Check out this pic of the white connector.

Does it look like the correct wire I need to cut for a 2014/2015? It should be the bottom right cable of the connector as it sits in the car, right? Just want a second set of eyes before I pull it out!

Attachments

#10 ·
Thanks Michael! Awesome writeup by the way! I'll try that out when I get home tonight and see if I can get some extra pictures of that cable with the pin to pull out! You're the man! :)

Reactions: B737
#14 ·
Where you able to get extra pics of the wire with the correct pin to pull out?

#12 ·
I was just looking through the threads I've subscribed to and had forgotten about this. Very nice and easy. After a couple of checks to make sure I had the correct wires, took all of 10 minutes, including putting the dash and trim back on. :beerchug:

#13 ·
Sub, next mod :)

#16 ·
Reactions: Tundra_361
#17 ·
#24 ·
Its a great idea, never understood why they went to the headlights on and fog lights on setup anyhow. Well OK, for legal sake they did apparently you can't drive around at night with just fog lights on or driving lights LOL. Then again if its that damn foggy outside the lower light from the fog lights will light up the road better with far less light bouncing back into your eyes.

Great write up on a quick easy way to modify them so they will come on whenever you want them to. I have an 08 so not sure if it would be the same.

#25 ·
Great write up on a quick easy way to modify them so they will come on whenever you want them to. I have an 08 so not sure if it would be the same.
I did the same mod on my 08 and it worked fine. I think the wires are different, but the process is the same.

#30 ·
This has been posted many times before on different forums. I did this a few weeks ago on my 2014 without cutting any of the wires.

I'm not going to cover the basics, I'll just link some other threads where its been covered before. I just wanted to focus on attaching the two wires with the jumper without cutting anything. That way if you ever wanted to reverse the mod, you could just plug the factory wires back into the harness.

Again, this was done on my 2014 platinum.

DIY: How-To Enable “Anytime” Fog Lights for $15 or Less

Toyota Tundra Forum - Foglight Anytime mod - easiest way???

FREE 2014 Toyota Tundra fog light Mod.

Following the instructions above you want to locate the two connectors / harnesses. The white one is a little higher into the truck. It's the middle one I'm pointing to.

After unplugging it you'll want to unlock the pins / wires inside the harness.

To unlock the pins, you have to raise the little bar on one side of the harness / connector.

Next you will want to find the wire you want to remove. I didn't take a picture of where the wire is in the connector. I think one of the above links said it was the wire in location #28 . Once you find it, insert something very small into the end of the harness / connector opposite of the wires. I used a sewing needle.

This picture shows the end you want to insert the needle into.

This picture shows where the needle goes. I don't think this picture was taken during the anytime fog light mod so please don't assume I have the needle inserted into the correct spot. It's only to show you where the needle goes.

Once you insert the needle you just pull back on the wire to remove it from the harness / connector. You shouldn't have to use any force. It might take a little while the first time. What you're doing by inserting the needle is moving the metal portion of the wire just enough to clear the inside of the connector. If you pull back and push on the wire, you'll feel it catch. This next picture kind of shows what you're trying to get to clear. On the lower left of the square terminal you can see it sticks out a little. That is what's catching when you pull back on the wire without raising it up.

Here I'm pointing the other harness in the kick panel area.

You want to repeat the above steps to remove the wire from the harness / connector. This shows the wire partially removed.

This picture shows the pink wire from the upper harness / connector and the yellow jumper wire I used to connect it to the other wire down below from the kick panel.

A little shrink tubing to keep things attached and protected.

Now connect the jumper cable to the gray wire below using the same method. If you ever want to reverse the mod, remove the jumper wire and plug the factory wire back into the appropriate spot on the harness / connector.

Hope this helps someone out.

So let me get this straight. The "yellow wire/jumper cable" acts like a bridge? Connecting the pink and grey wires together?? If I'm correct, where the hell does the "yellow wire/ jumper cable" come from? Do we buy it or is it connected somewhere in their? Want to do this mod before I buy some VLEDS fog lights. Anyone's input would be appreciated.

#31 · (Edited)
So let me get this straight. The "yellow wire/jumper cable" acts like a bridge? Connecting the pink and grey wires together?? If I'm correct, where the hell does the "yellow wire/ jumper cable" come from? Do we buy it or is it connected somewhere in their? Want to do this mod before I buy some VLEDS fog lights. Anyone's input would be appreciated.
Correct, it connects the two wires.

The jumper wire can be any wire. It's just what I had lying around so I used it. You have to supply it.

#33 ·
I don't have anything like this lying around. Would I be able to find some wire like you used at Home Depot? And do you know what it would be called? Sorry for all the questions

#32 ·
Subscribing to this thread....thanks for the directions.

#36 ·
Just finished the fog light mod :) It was super easy guys, anyone can do it. Big thanks to MMichaelJJ for helping me out. Now time to order me some LED fogs >:D

Attachments

#37 · (Edited)
Just finished the fog light mod
It was super easy guys, anyone can do it. Big thanks to MMichaelJJ for helping me out. Now time to order me some LED fogs >
Nice. Did you have any issues with removing the wires from the harness?

Check the for sale section for some LED fogs I have for sale.

#46 ·
subd myself.

Reactions: schoolcb
#50 ·
Good thing you didn't fry anything.

Yea there's two pink wires in the upper connector, one in pin 3 first row on left and one in pin 30 i think bottom right last row. (bottom right when plugged in) The 30 is the correct one.

Also using a small pin to get the wire out is incorrect, you just need to pry the tab up to release the pins. That is much easier anyways.

#51 ·
While we're on this topic, does anyone know which wire going to the cargo light switch is the dimmer light wire?

I'm planning on adding a LED light bar and would like the switch illumination to dim with the dimmer.

If anyone knows that would be great, otherwise I'll just use my multimeter and probe when I go to install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.