Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

UGH, BHLM and HALOs crapping out.

3K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  pursuit2550 
#1 · (Edited)
I absolutely love the look of the BHLM and Halos and get tons of compliments on them. I pulled up to a store yesterday and in the reflection of the window, I could see my halos have 2 dead spots. Combine this with the fact that the haze inside my lenses is getting worse and I think I'm going to go back to stock.

Is a year and 8 months all I should expect to get out of them?

The Halos are warrantied right? Do I have to return the dead spot one to get another? What a PITA to get them out...warranty or not.

Glad I have my stock headlights still. Maybe I'll put these up for sale.

Worst haze is on the drivers side:

Dead spots and Hazy on the passenger side:

See less See more
#4 ·
I love not having a payment. But the bronze 1794 is a sweet looking ride. I just couldn't imagine redoing all my mods.

#12 ·
Big Tundra in Nov of 2012

I've had my plasma halo's for a little of a year and I'm on my 3rd set. I will say that the last set-up Oracle sent me, is lasting a lot longer then the previous sets.

You will need to send your halos back to who ever you bought your halo's from and they will have to send them to Oracle. My first set I returned on my own and they said I had to go through the guy I ordered from. They never give me any problems, I just pay the shipping and then wait for them to send a completely new set. I let all of rings have at least one area of failure before I send them back. I waited long enough one time that a fog light ring only had about an inch of lights on. If they don't have any complete sets in stock you will have to wait. It took over a month to get my second set, fog rings were on back order.

Any thing electrical will have a failure, at some point, that's life. If you can do the work yourself, It's not too big of a deal. You have a spare set of lights, throw them on and take your other heads a part and send them in.

I don't have any issue with hazing on the inside of my lights. I used plasti-dip for my BHLM and don't think that puts off to much gasses or whatever. My lights will start to oxidize on the outsides but I have a restore kit that works every time.

I go back and forth in my head as to if I really like the purchase or if I dread the purchase. When I have people stay at me while I drive around town and it's what people ask about the most, I like them. But like you, when they start going out I get a little crabby about it.
WOW, I guess I'm lucky to get this long out of them. I Love them but Nope...They're gone. Can't handle this. Their website says 100,000 hours, will outlast your vehicle....Yeah BS.

Just curious, do you park outside everynight or in the garage. Just wondering if that has an effect on the hazing cuz I am considering this mod as well.
I park outside...in the Florida sun. I bet the hazing started within 6 months or so of getting it done. I do have HIDs, maybe that contributes, I don't know.

#7 ·
I wonder what kind of longevity folks are getting out of this mod on average.

Is this the norm, or do most people get more/less time out of halos & BHLM (causing lens condensation) mod?

#8 ·
I've had my plasma halo's for a little of a year and I'm on my 3rd set. I will say that the last set-up Oracle sent me, is lasting a lot longer then the previous sets.

You will need to send your halos back to who ever you bought your halo's from and they will have to send them to Oracle. My first set I returned on my own and they said I had to go through the guy I ordered from. They never give me any problems, I just pay the shipping and then wait for them to send a completely new set. I let all of rings have at least one area of failure before I send them back. I waited long enough one time that a fog light ring only had about an inch of lights on. If they don't have any complete sets in stock you will have to wait. It took over a month to get my second set, fog rings were on back order.

Any thing electrical will have a failure, at some point, that's life. If you can do the work yourself, It's not too big of a deal. You have a spare set of lights, throw them on and take your other heads a part and send them in.

I don't have any issue with hazing on the inside of my lights. I used plasti-dip for my BHLM and don't think that puts off to much gasses or whatever. My lights will start to oxidize on the outsides but I have a restore kit that works every time.

I go back and forth in my head as to if I really like the purchase or if I dread the purchase. When I have people stay at me while I drive around town and it's what people ask about the most, I like them. But like you, when they start going out I get a little crabby about it.

#9 ·
Well, that settled it...I'll never do halos. Sorry, opening your headlights that many times is absurd...

Reactions: Wander and schoolcb
#10 ·
Yeah, but I can pretty much do the whole process with my eyes closed now. It's becoming so easy that I do BHLM's on my buddies tundra's for cheap now.

#14 ·
Ive heard that on the SMD style halo's that 3 little lights work off of the same resister or something like that. And you can open the lights remove the halo, peel the sticky tape off the back of the ring and re-solder the resistor that is loose and you won't have to send them back.

I've never done it since I have the plasma's and they are different. Could give that try first then sell them fully working.

Reactions: Big Shasta
#15 ·
Thats interesting. I have an old ring at home that I will have to take a look at. I may contact Oracle to see what they say about the issue.

#17 ·
So an intermittent segment sounds like a solder issue?

#19 ·
Great info. I definitely have 2 sets of 3 leds out so I' sure that's my issue. Now the PITA to get them apart.

And the hazing issue....is that from the paint that was used?

#20 ·
Before I did my bhlm my lights looked hazy on the inside and when I got them apart it turned out it was dust, I checked and the plugs were still on the back. I also noticed that above where the drl bulbs are was white and chalky but that rubbed off.

I love the look of halos but don't want to hassle with them.

#23 ·
Well I just got my halos put on a few weeks ago so I hope this doesn't happen to me. I didn't open my own head lights because I didn't have it in me to try it so I sent them to Big Tundra, hopefully my halos last much longer then a year and some change but I guess only time will tell

#25 ·
All aftermarket leds are garbage, imho. Its all mass produced in china for profit not quality Like others have said, I also refuse to do a led mods in something I have to take apart. You hazing might be the glue/silicone used to stick them on. I had the same issue on a set of shrouds I siliconed on the projectors on my last truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.