Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Backup camera install

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  OkSlim 
#1 ·
I ordered a backup camera that hooks up to the license plate and wirelessly transmits the signal to a transmitter in the cab of the truck for the screen. I have found on numerous website that for a 2012 toyota tundra there is the most bottom wire connector on the passenger side kick board a blue wire. This is the wire for the reverse light. My question is I have a black and red wire coming from both the transmitter and the LCD screen. Can I hook all four of these wires to the blue wire to draw power? Or do they have to be split out to different wires and if so what colors and where are they located? Thank you for you help in advance

#2 ·
The reverse trigger wire will be green.

#3 ·
Can you give us a link to the camera you set up?

#6 ·
I got a warning ticket for obstructing my tag for a mount like that.

#7 ·
The black wire is most likely a ground. That would have to be landed somewhere on the chasis.

Let us know how well that camera works. Up till recently, the cheaper wireless cameras were hit or miss on function.

Most would just wired because they usually work quite well and are cheap too.

As Slim mentioned, blocking the view of the plate is prohibited. With that said, in most cases you already grabbed the cops attention for some other reason. There are more blocked plates out there than cops to pull you over for that reason alone.

#8 ·
Well i had the dealerships plate thing around it before the camera and it covered up more than the camera did. Plus my wife works at the PA's office so I'm in no way concerned about the cops having problems with it. When I have been pulled over its been a how in the world are you? And then I'm back on the road. I'll try the blacks on the ground and see what happens.

#9 ·
You can find the Tundra Manual on this website and maybe figure it out that way.
I am too lazy to go looking but I have read several threads on here about wiring up a reverse camera so I am sure it is listed.

I was tracking down a blown fuse and the circuit for the backup camera is listed.

I was using a wireless camera and the lens got out of whack so I pulled the monitor out of my truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.