User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Recon - Tailgate Light Bar

This will set your Tundra apart from most other trucks. I just installed a Recon Hyperlight "Line of Fire" tailgate light bar that functions as running lights, turn signals, emergency flashers and an auxiliary brake light. You can also buy one that has white LED backup lights.

The unit is very well made and much brighter than most of the cheap ones I've seen for $30 or $40 bucks; and they aren't sealed like this one.

Super easy install, only took 10 minutes. Most of that time spent routing the simple 4 wire harness that plugs directly into the mostly unused 4 prong trailer plug next to the normal round trailer plug on the factory hitch.

The wiring is totally hidden and there's no drilling. The unit attaches to your truck via small black plastic plates that are stuck on with 3-M industrial grade double sided adhesive. The light bar itself is then fastened to the plates via screws; so you're not having to drill into your truck.

The bar is mounted in the gap between the bumper and the bottom of the tailgate, so it's basically hidden until it lights up... very cool, and the actual bar is so slim that it doesn't interfere with the operation of the tailgate when you put it down.

One thing you will need to do is notch out a section directly in the center of the mounting strip. I just drilled a .5" hole. You'll need to do this to be able to access the crank slot for the spare tire. You can notch or drill the mounting strip without harming the actual light portion of the bar.

As one more side note, there's a small white silk-screened "RECON" logo on the right hand side of the light bar. I'm a purist, and don't like things like that possibly showing, so I took the corner of a rag and soaked it with a little "Goof Off" solvent and it wiped right off. If you do this, be careful what type of solvent you use as you don't want to eat up the plastic, and make sure you don't get any on the clear tube encasing for the LED's or you may cloud it.

The install looks totally clean and factory. The light bar gives your truck a very custom look, on top of being a great extra safety feature. I actually installed this because Utah has some of the worse drivers I've ever seen. 70% of them can't even manage to hold their own lane, and my wife has been rear-ended in stop-and-go traffic on the freeway, 3 times in the 3 years we've been here. (ex-Cali)

I thought this would give my $40,000 investment a little extra insurance, as it totally turns heads, which is what you want because it means people see you. I even had a semi driver speed up and blow his air horn at me just so he could ask where I got it.

The picture I took isn't the best in the world. It was raining, and the extra lights you see under the main line of lights is just the reflection off the water on top of the bumper.

This picture is just the running lights; and you can see how bright they are. The brake light gets twice as bright, and when the turn signals are in use, half the bar will flash brighter while the running light level still shows. It flashes with the hazard lights, and even flashes with the rest of the lights if you have the factory installed alarm system.

I bought mine for $66.79 through Amazon.com. Free shipping and no sales tax for Utah. (Recon model 26411 60" Red Hyperlite "Line of Fire" LED Tailgate Light Bar).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Recon Tailgate Light Bar.jpg (175.8 KB, 310 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to RunItHard For This Useful Post:
nickstl77 (02-22-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
its looks great. i have the 60" plasmaglow fire and ice... the one with the white lights when your in reverse. i picked mine up for $69.99 from stylinconcepts.com

2007 Black 5.7L 4x4 SR5 CrewMax
Airaid Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Dual Exhaust with 4" tips, Line-X Spray in Bed Liner, 2.5" Leveling Kit, Tint, Westin Step Bars, 60" Plasmaglow Fire and Ice LED Brakelight Bar, 18" KMC XD Hoss Chrome Wheels, 33" Nitto Terra Grappler Tires, Garmin Nuvi 5000 with Back Up Camera
So Far.....
#3 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 02:28 PM

The recon bar sells for 42.95 on ebay shipped ... looks good .....
#4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 10:57 PM

Cool! informative post. I like the way it looks, probably pick one up for my self. Thanks!
#5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This will not fit vehicles with the factory tailgate step. What exactly is this? I have a std cab 4x2, bumper looks similar to whats in the pic of the original poster.

Scott
#6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman4u View Post
This will not fit vehicles with the factory tailgate step. What exactly is this? I have a std cab 4x2, bumper looks similar to whats in the pic of the original poster.

Scott
I don't know what that means... You might have to call RECON tech support to find out. If your bumper looks like mine and you mount it ALL the way to the bottom of bumper, it should work. It's a tight clearance, but it fits.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RunItHard For This Useful Post:
DIABLODALTON (11-07-2012), nickstl77 (02-17-2011)
#7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

did you say that you hard wired your light in? I am looking to do the same. I hate leaving it plugged into the 5 pin connector. Where did you splice the wires, etc. Any pics? Thanks for the help. D

BLACK SUNSHINE - 2012 CrewMax TRD RW
BIG RIG CLUB MEMBER #56
6" Pro Comp Stage I, 20" MB Torques w Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5x20, Rear Light Tint, 60" APC LED Brake Light, Front Tint, Black Brake Calipers, White Knuckle Off Road Rock Rails, Bushwacker Pocket Flares (black bolts painted flat black), Clazzio Black Leather Seat Covers, Modified Skull TRD Shifter Knob, TRD Dual Exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, TRD Sway Bar-End Link Mod by Ekstrom, Under Cover Tonneau Cover, Console Vault, Line-X
#8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman4u View Post

Scott
I think that means if your truck came with the fold out bed step that fits under the bumper.

BIG RIG CLUB MEMBER #57
2011 5.7 Crewmax 4x4, blacked out front emblem, bhlm, partial debadge, Flowmaster super 70, bedlined side steps, 3/1, blacked out grill surround, 295/70/18 Trail Grapplers, Smittybilt M1 front bumper, 18x9 +12 Ballistic Jesters, dipped rear bumper, flip over gooseneck hitch,
Pioneer App Radio 2
#9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Premium Member

I want to hard wire it and not have to use the 5 pin. Any advice?

BLACK SUNSHINE - 2012 CrewMax TRD RW
BIG RIG CLUB MEMBER #56
6" Pro Comp Stage I, 20" MB Torques w Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5x20, Rear Light Tint, 60" APC LED Brake Light, Front Tint, Black Brake Calipers, White Knuckle Off Road Rock Rails, Bushwacker Pocket Flares (black bolts painted flat black), Clazzio Black Leather Seat Covers, Modified Skull TRD Shifter Knob, TRD Dual Exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, TRD Sway Bar-End Link Mod by Ekstrom, Under Cover Tonneau Cover, Console Vault, Line-X
#10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 04:57 AM
cmb
Premium Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I've read 'reports' about having to trim the plastic edge at the bottom of the bumper to get LED strips to fit. Some of 'em have been crushed by the tailgate as it opens,due to too tight a gap at the bottom.If these are different, I'm in
#11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb View Post
I've read 'reports' about having to trim the plastic edge at the bottom of the bumper to get LED strips to fit. Some of 'em have been crushed by the tailgate as it opens,due to too tight a gap at the bottom.If these are different, I'm in
I have the Recon light bar with the white LEDs for backing up. My bar fits fine and does not appear to have been trimmed. I agree with others who said that the Recon light bar is a tight fit.

Charlie

2012 Tundra DC 4x4, 5.7L, Silver Sky Metallic, SR5 Pkg, Tow Pkg, OEM Towing Mirrors, Chrome Appearance Pkg, AM/FM/CD w/ MP3/WMA Playback, Rubber Flr Mats w/Door Sill Protector, A.R.E "CX" Cap, BedRug Bedliner, Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller, Seatcovers, Westin 6" Oval Nerf Bars

TWACCM #48

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Lighting/Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.