Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Front turn signal shorted... I think...

33K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Berkdawg 
#1 ·
So my front passenger side turn signal went out one day. I replaced the bulb and found the typical burnt bulb and slightly burnt plug, but it continued to work. Now, about a month later, I'm having intermittent issues with the bulb. The socket/plug is no more crispy than before, I think it's the socket of the actual wiring harness that has developed a loose connection because if I play with it, I can get the DRL to come back on when I'm really pushing the conductors (coming from the loom) into the back of the socket that the turn signal plug connects to. Of course Toyota doesn't sell that socket separate from the $3000 wiring harness, they only sell replacement plugs.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this? Is there a chance the issue is actually in the plug and not the wiring harness socket? Also, has anyone taken the socket off the wiring harness and soldered (or otherwise connected) the wires from the wiring harness directly to the turn signal/DRL plug?

Pictures coming soon...

#2 ·
Coldengineer,

Per the EPC, a front turn signal wire harness connector on a 2nd-Gen Tundra is part number 90980-11020. The bulb-holder that connects onto it is 90075-60060. You can see pictures of both by searching those numbers in google images.

The wire harness connectors go for $5.23 at Sparks. The bulb holders go for $7.10 at the same source. Any Toyota dealer can get you these too.

The 90980-11020 harness connectors are evidently used on several Toyota vehicles. There is a DIY on how to de-pin one so you can replace it over here.

Cheers~

Attachments

#3 ·
I have had to replace the socket for the front turn signal 3 times already for my 08 DC. I think it's because the bulbs are constantly on? The bulb not only gets burned out but also the socket, it's a head-scratcher.

#4 ·
OK, I just replaced the socket and bulb last night, tested it out and worked fine.

I get in my truck this AM to go to work and the damned thing has gone out again. Could this be a wiring issue?

#5 ·
Front Turn Signal trouble

I am having the same issue with my 2013 tundra. I've had to replace the front bulb on numerous occasions and have continued to have the same trouble. My socket Is also burned and hopefully I can add a photo. I'll be taking it to the dealer this week and will post an update. The vehicle is still under warranty. My issues started with the signal only, the DLR worked. Now both are out.

Attachments

#6 ·
I am having the same issue with my 2013 tundra. I've had to replace the front bulb on numerous occasions and have continued to have the same trouble. My socket Is also burned and hopefully I can add a photo. I'll be taking it to the dealer this week and will post an update. The vehicle is still under warranty. My issues started with the signal only, the DLR worked. Now both are out.
The burn appearance is normal because of the heat. Eventually the contacts start to degrade and you lose bulb power. I run Vleds Tritons in mine and no issues with heat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.