LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lighting Newbie, HELP!

Hey Everyone, I Have a 2008 Tundra RCSB 5.7 with OEM Headlights,
Ok Im in a Huge predicament! I've been doing some research but i need the official opinions of the Tundra Brotherhood please. My first option is : Just get the Oracle Halos ( Advanced Automotive concepts )and do the installation myself and be satisfied with that, problem is i won't be satisfied because i want HID's. Now, there is a different kit that is just aftermarket all built in one with shroud CCFL Halos and HID kit for 301$ USD, But i don't know if it's good quality or not ( Protuninglab.com ) https://us-dc1-order.store.yahoo.net...cyVYVRPhMj_g-- I'm sure yall have seen them and whatnot.
And finally ( what I really want ) i've read that some members on here build the kit for you using retrofit which is going to be better quality with cutoffs with HID's and range and whatnot, but is more expensive if im not mistaken? I want to pay for quality but im also on a budget too as well. Where do I go? What should i look for and what should i not buy? Also, how complicated is it to install Halos and a HID kit?

Any feedback is appreciated thank you guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 11:18 PM

When I did some research on the plug n play headlights, the reviews have been pretty mixed. Some are really satisfied with the fit and light quality while others couldn't wait to do something different... The halos typically are a lot smaller too on those. I decided to go the Oracle route and am very happy with it (but didn't want HID's). There are guys on here that know a ton more than I do about retrofitting HID's (think there is a DIY thread on it), but I think you'll be dropping around $500 to do both the Oracles and HID's. Good luck!

2008 5.7 CM SR5 TRD 4x4 in Slate; TRD dual exhaust; TRD Shifter; ReadyLift 3/1; XD HOSS 18x9 (+30); Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/65/18; BHLM; ORACLE blue/white SMD halo's; ArmorThane liner; Raider Nomad II cap; tint; stainless Toyota steps

TWACC Member #44
#3 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 12:07 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome14 View Post
When I did some research on the plug n play headlights, the reviews have been pretty mixed. Some are really satisfied with the fit and light quality while others couldn't wait to do something different... The halos typically are a lot smaller too on those. I decided to go the Oracle route and am very happy with it (but didn't want HID's). There are guys on here that know a ton more than I do about retrofitting HID's (think there is a DIY thread on it), but I think you'll be dropping around $500 to do both the Oracles and HID's. Good luck!

How complicated was the Oracle Halo Installation ?
#4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 01:17 AM

It wasn't too bad, just time consuming. I was a little freaked out sticking my lights in the oven, but they came apart without too much effort. After that, it was pretty straight forward. I'm definitely glad I went that route over one of the plug n plays that I was looking at.

2008 5.7 CM SR5 TRD 4x4 in Slate; TRD dual exhaust; TRD Shifter; ReadyLift 3/1; XD HOSS 18x9 (+30); Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/65/18; BHLM; ORACLE blue/white SMD halo's; ArmorThane liner; Raider Nomad II cap; tint; stainless Toyota steps

TWACC Member #44
#5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 01:23 AM
Premium Member

I don't have an answer, just saying hey since we are close to each other.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 01:49 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
I don't have an answer, just saying hey since we are close to each other.
Holy smokes, I just moved to the Quad Cities not too long ago, Thats awesome! I used to live in Milan when i first moved here, do you know the Kargyls?
#7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iclark97 View Post
Holy smokes, I just moved to the Quad Cities not too long ago, Thats awesome! I used to live in Milan when i first moved here, do you know the Kargyls?
No I don't. I just moved to Andalusia 2.5 years ago. I may know them by face since it is such a small town.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Premium Member

I went the route of buying Ebay lights for the halo's and projectors and what a mistake that was. You couldn't seen the halo's during the day and the projectors melted the headlight lens after a long drive and they where horrible at night. I DID NOT buy from Advanced Automotive Concepts so in no way can I review their products but in my research if you do buy the headlights make sure you at least get the CCFL halo's. Luckily for me once the lights melted the lens it was considered a manufacturer defect and I was able to return them for a refund.

Thats when I found Joe "BIG TUNDRA" in the classified section under "BHLM's done cheap". If you look at his work in his post it is awesome, and he offers allot of services. I don't know if he would do the HID's but it couldn't hurt to ask. Once I saw his work I just bit the bullet and paid him to do my work because I could see his quality of work was excellent. He currently has my headlights and tails doing his magic to them.

IMO, you are going to pay a little more to have them done for you but you will get allot better quality stuff. Better halo's and you still get to use the high quality OEM headlights and not have the potential of getting the cheap aftermarket crap that I first bought.

FETC Member #37

07' 5.7L Limited CM 4x4, RBP grill, HID heads, BHLM with Oracles, VHT tails and third light all done by "Big Tundra", Pro Comp 7033 18" wheels, Toyo Open Country ATII 325/60R18 tires, 3" front 1" back Pro Comp Leveling kit, Bilstein 5100 series shocks, Bak Flip G2 tonneau cover, water proof LED lights along bed rails, interior and exterior LED's, Rigid Industries dually's "reverse lights", towing bags, AFE CAI, Magnaflow exhaust.

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Lighting/Electrical