Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

[d.i.y.] l.e.d. Drl's

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Tundra_361 
#1 · (Edited)
[DIY] L.E.D. Drl's

OK..... here is a quick d.i.y. on how to install these. This d.i.y. is going to suck because I forgot to take pictures during install. I didn't have the time to take all these things apart so I just snapped a few pics and I will explain it the best I can. If you have any questions, just PM me. This install is SUPER EASY!!! There is a few different ways to wire these up, I am showing you how I did it.

In the box, you should have 2 panels with the l.e.d. lights, a couple extension cords, wiring module. All of the wires are plug and play except for 3 (that I used). Those are the power, ground and dimmer.

First thing, remove the 2 black clips on the right side of the panel. After the clips are removed... pull panel straight out. There are 2 pins holding it in, they won't break as long as you pull straight. Here is a picture of the clips...

After those are off, I suggest wrapping them up in the bubble wrap they came in and storing them away. That way if you ever trade in your truck, you can take your new lights off and put the blanks back in.

Before you install the 2 new panels, it is easier to plug the extension cords into the lights. They just simply plug right in. Somehow I didn't get a picture of the plug but there is no wiring to be done. So after the extensions have been pluged into the plug on the backside of your new lights... install the panel the same way you took the blank out. Press 2 pins in on the outside, then replace the 2 clips on the inside. That was easy. They should now look like the above picture.

I ran the extension piece from the opposite side of where the module is down where my bumper is, I am holding the extension piece in the picture. Usually its tucked down below where you can't see it.

How you can mount your module wherever you want. I wanted to mount mine to the right of my battery against the wall but I have a siren there for my alarm. I mounted it here....

So after you mount your module, take the plugs coming from your lights and plug them into the module plugs. EASY, RIGHT!

Now all you have to do is hook up the 3 wires I talked about at the beginning. I got my power from the IGN fuse in the fuse box. This will make them turn on when your key hits the "on" position. They will always be on when your truck is on. (I also disabled the orange drl's that were factory because I didn't want them on too.) Here is a picture of the power wire going into the IGN fuse....

The ground hookup was easy. I just tapped into the ground bolt next to the battery...

Now the last step, I don't have a picture for, sorry. The blue wire is for the dimmer. You tie this wire into the green wire that goes to your low beam behind your headlight. This will dim your l.e.d. lights while your headlights are on, but when the headlights are off, these things are really bright! Below is a picture of finished product....THESE THINGS ARE SWEET!

So, really all you have to do is hook those 3 wires up and the rest is all just plugs!

Any questions PM me...

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the write-up man! I'm sure a ton of people who want the D.R.L's will read this. If I see anyone talking about them I will definitely post the link to this thread, if that's cool with you.

#4 ·
A plastic trim tool makes it easier to pop that piece straight out.

#6 · (Edited)
Man this seems super easy. Nice write up and straight to the point. I've never done any type of electrical work but I think I can pull this off. Mine are coming in Saturday. Pretty excited about these. So is their splicing of wires? How exactly do I tie into the low beams? With a wire tap? Never used or seen one but sounds self explanatory. How many would I need? I've read one but wanted to make sure. Just looked up wiretaps (t taps) seems to be more than one kind. Which one will I be needing. Thanks ia

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.