long bed vs short bed -- double cab vs crew max - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
long bed vs short bed -- double cab vs crew max

i have been trying to decide which model tundra to buy and this helpful forum has influenced my choice . i plan to carry a motorcycle in the truck bed and considered getting a dc long bed . i initially gravitated toward the tundra dc long bed for transporting my new bike because i could carry the motorcycle with the tail gate closed . the tundra long bed is 97.6" long and my new black 2012 yamaha xt1200z motorcycle is 88.6" long with a 60.6" wheelbase . the tundra double cab with a regular size bed has a bed length of 78.7" and with the regular size bed i would have to carry my motorcycle with the tail gate down . that is no big deal but it is not ideal . i originally thought the tundra double cab would be perfectly adequate as far as interior comfort is concerned . then i saw the tundra crew max interior at a local toyota dealer and compared to the double cab the crew max is much nicer . i will only occasionally be hauling a bike in the truck bed but i will be using the driver's cabin every day . creature comfort has trumped bed size in my tundra model selection process but a new dilemma presents itself : can i transport a bike in a crew max short bed ? the crew max bed is only 66.7" long and the tail gate adds another 22.2" which should carry a bike adequately though not as expeditiously as the long bed or the regular bed . has anyone in the forum transported a motorcycle recently ? what size bed did you use ? has anybody chosen the crew max but was disappointed with the 66.7" bed length ? has anyone chosen a double cab long bed despite their less appealing aesthetics and were ultimately satisfied because the huge truck bed is so accommodating ? why doesn't toyota build a crew max long bed for us insane truck fans ? please help me decide which bed size to choose . is the crew max interior more important than the longer double cab bed size ? are these questions simply personal preference like choosing a color ? thanks for your comments .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 PM

Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,200 Posts
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonyspin For This Useful Post:
Jon Tyler (05-04-2011), SP (04-29-2011)
#3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyspin View Post
What was the question?
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggrell3000 View Post
can i transport a bike in a crew max short bed ? the crew max bed is only 66.7" long and the tail gate adds another 22.2" which should carry a bike adequately though not as expeditiously as the long bed or the regular bed . has anyone in the forum transported a motorcycle recently ? what size bed did you use ? has anybody chosen the crew max but was disappointed with the 66.7" bed length ? has anyone chosen a double cab long bed despite their less appealing aesthetics and were ultimately satisfied because the huge truck bed is so accommodating ? why doesn't toyota build a crew max long bed for us insane truck fans ? please help me decide which bed size to choose . is the crew max interior more important than the longer double cab bed size ? are these questions simply personal preference like choosing a color ? thanks for your comments .
Take your pick
The Following User Says Thank You to Powerhogger For This Useful Post:
SP (04-29-2011)
#4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 10:54 PM

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,489 Posts
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
long bed = totally uneccessary for your needs, i say get a dc, cabins are just as "nice" as eachother, depending on which package you looked at. a cmax is good only if you need to transport 4+ adults a day. i vote dc regular bed, more space to haul and the backseat is just fine

Gabe
Cute Raptor Bro
#5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 11:01 PM

Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Since buying my DC 6-1/2' bed I wish now I would have bought the 8' bed version. I haul a lot of stuff and go up camping a lot and its amazing how much difference that extra 1-1/2 feet makes. I only wish they offered the CM with an 8' bed.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 11:02 PM

Its a toss up.....I have a Crewmax and when we are headed to the lake with the boat in tow and taking friends with us the extra cabin room is awesome. I have a roll and lock tonneau that keeps everything in the bed dry and secure.

On the other hand, there are those days when its just me heading out for a quad ride and it would easier to load it in the back rather than hook up the trailer.

The choice is up to you...really consider what you do with your truck and how you will use it.

Installed
09 CrewMax Ltd. with Navi
Textured BHLM
Custom side badges
De-badged tail gate
Line-X bed
Roll N Lock Tonneau Cover
Weather Tech Fronts
Carriage Works Billet Grill
N-Fab 2 steps (black)
Tinted front windows to match
Tow Mirrors
Custom USB charging port in dash

LRO 3/1 Level Kit

DDM Tuning 6000K Low Beams
DDM Tuning 6000K Fog Lights

Fuel Off Road Boost 18x9 +25 wrapped in 295/70/18 Trail Grapplers
#7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 11:11 PM

I've never owned a bike before so I don't know how it is trying to load one into the bed of a truck, I've owned an ATV and now a UTV and don't ever wish to load either one in the bed of a truck. A trailer is nice and seems a lot easier to me.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 11:14 PM

Thanked 1,400 Times in 864 Posts
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
If you really don't care on configuration buy whatever has the best deal going....

In December I had the choice between a DCLB SR5 W/TRD and the Limited CM I ended up buying. I love my crewmax, but if I could do it again I think I would have gotten the DCLB and used the price difference on aftermarket stuff and still had money left over.

Only down side to the DCLB is they would be a tight fit in parking lots, but a back up camera would help with that.

Crewmax LTD/NFAB SS/BHLM/LAHM/Husky Classic Liners/Line-x/Skyjacker 3" struts/Skyjacker 0-2 rears/Coachbuilder +2 Shackles/285/60/20 Duratracs
#9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill23c View Post
I've never owned a bike before so I don't know how it is trying to load one into the bed of a truck, I've owned an ATV and now a UTV and don't ever wish to load either one in the bed of a truck. A trailer is nice and seems a lot easier to me.
Its actually not that bad. When I bought my ATV (Can-am outlander max) I transported it in the back of my 07 Tacoma DBL cab. 6.5ft box. With the tail gate down it took up all the bed and gate.

In the Cremax I've had that quad in the back many times with no problems. A set of ramps and it easy up!

Installed
09 CrewMax Ltd. with Navi
Textured BHLM
Custom side badges
De-badged tail gate
Line-X bed
Roll N Lock Tonneau Cover
Weather Tech Fronts
Carriage Works Billet Grill
N-Fab 2 steps (black)
Tinted front windows to match
Tow Mirrors
Custom USB charging port in dash

LRO 3/1 Level Kit

DDM Tuning 6000K Low Beams
DDM Tuning 6000K Fog Lights

Fuel Off Road Boost 18x9 +25 wrapped in 295/70/18 Trail Grapplers

Last edited by SLATER; 04-20-2011 at 11:30 PM.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLATER View Post
Its actually not that bad. When I bought my ATV (Can-am outlander max) I transported it in the back of my 07 Tacoma DBL cab. 6.5ft box. With the tail gate down it took up all the bed and gate.

In the Cremax I've had that quad in the back many times with no problems. A set of ramps and it easy up!
The issue comes in where when I load up my ATV and go to the mountains camping the ATV would take up the whole bed leaving me to pull a trailer anyhow, so I just got the ATV trailer and put a camper shell on my truck to keep gear dry. If I ever win the lottery and can afford a Toy Hauler I'll do that and not worry about bed length LOL. I see tons of people hauling in the bed of their truck, but I don't think I would even try it with my Rhino, which I think is too long for even the 6-1/2' bed since the Rhino is 113" long LOL.
#11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 11:34 PM

(Thread Starter)
thanks for your opinions

thanks guys for the great helpful feedback . the question of which bed size to buy or which cabin is better is apparently a tradeoff . wildbill thinks a long bed is worth the hassle . slater likes the crewmax when he has three passengers but would like a longer bed when he is by himself . gpend doesn't think the crewmax interior is that much better than a double cab . wildbill wishes toyota sold a long bed crewmax . you guys are at least as undecided as i am and though this does not help me choose a tundra i really appreciate your candidness .
#12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 11:52 PM

Loading a bike in the bed of a truck is probably easier than an ATV, at least with a bike the 6-1/2' bed you'll be able to close the tailgate and still have room around the bike to put a lot of gear. The 5-1/2 foot bed on the CM is kind of pointless IMO might as well just buy the Toyota Sequoia at that point LOL.

The overall consensus seems like you need to buy 2 trucks. One with a long bed for when you need to haul cargo, and one with a short bed for when all you are doing is hauling people.
#13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 11:54 PM

(Thread Starter)
great pics slater

slater i admire your very cool can-am atv . please post some pictures of the can-am loaded on your crewmax if you get time . the can-am must be longer and heavier than my yamaha super tenere motorcycle which is 89" long and weighs 600 pounds . if you can get your 4 wheel beast in the back of a crewmax then that is reassuring for a bike hauler . what type / brand of loading ramp do you use ?
wildbill you load your utv on a trailer . which trailer are you using ? my inclination is to haul my bike on the truck bed but maybe i should consider a trailer instead . i have always thought a trailer should be avoided if possible .
#14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 12:03 AM

(Thread Starter)
two tundras

that is really the answer wildbill . i need to buy both truck models . i'll use a dclb for cross country bike trips and a crewmax for dinner and the opera . i plan on winning powerball this weekend so two trucks will be no problem .
The Following User Says Thank You to doggrell3000 For This Useful Post:
gpend5.7sport (04-21-2011)
#15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 12:26 AM

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,489 Posts
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggrell3000 View Post
that is really the answer wildbill . i need to buy both truck models . i'll use a dclb for cross country bike trips and a crewmax for dinner and the opera . i plan on winning powerball this weekend so two trucks will be no problem .
HAA! nice. but dont you live in new york? a long bed would be a bitch and half to get around that city

Gabe
Cute Raptor Bro

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion