How fast did you mod your Tundra? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How fast did you mod your Tundra?

So, I was ordering my 3/1" leveling kit last night and my wife noticed me doing it and commented that she thinks I am going insane with mods. I got the truck on 1/3/2011, so I've had it about 7 weeks.

So far, I've done:

BLHM
Aries Bull Bar
LED Tail lights
Tint 20% all around
Flowmaster Super 40 Exhaust
K&N Drop-in
Recon LED light bar under tailgate

My next two upgrades scheduled for March/April are the 3"/1" kit and new tires and wheels.

Am I going off the deep end?

DC LTD 5.7 4x4
Zone 5" + 2" BDS shims + 3" rear shackles
KMC xD Monster 20's +35mm
37x12.5x20 Trail Graps
Maganaflow
Too many other mods to list...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Had mine since Christmas (my Christmas present to myself) and I debadged it, 3/1 leveling kit, rims/tires. Next (hopefully... still haven't pulled the trigger) BLHM, and probably exhaust this weekend. How do you like your Flow's??? That's what I'm leaning towards... the super 40. You have any pics?

Radiant Red Tundra Club member #21

2010 Tundra Crewmax
Debadged
3/1 Leveling kit
305/55/20 Nitto Terra
Black Rhino Rockwell
Stampede Fender Flares
Go Rhino Dominator ll Stepbars
PD'd Bumpers & Surround
Grillcraft MX Series Grill

#3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David2010 View Post
Had mine since Christmas (my Christmas present to myself) and I debadged it, 3/1 leveling kit, rims/tires. Next (hopefully... still haven't pulled the trigger) BLHM, and probably exhaust this weekend. How do you like your Flow's??? That's what I'm leaning towards... the super 40. You have any pics?
I like the Super 40, the sound is really throaty and it really gives the truck a meaner personality. The one thing that bugs me about it, though, is the drone at certain highway speeds. In my case, I get drone between 65-69mph or so. If I go slower or faster, the sound quiets down nicely, but right in that 65-69 range is where a good portion of my work commute ends up since I'm kind of at the will of the surrounding traffic as far as how fast I can drive. The drone really bothered me at first, but to be honest I don't really notice it now, after having them on for about a month. If you don't do alot of long highway trips, it probably won't bother you much (if at all). We drove 6 hours last weekend, with my wife and our 2 kids. Nobody complained, but I tried to keep it out of the drone range as much as possible.

Also, if you go with the Super 40, unless you want it REALLY loud, I would go with the dual in/dual out single muffler rather than 2 single in/out mufflers. I wrestled with that decision for awhile before deciding to try the single muffler approach first. Glad I did, the single is definitely loud enough for me. It's not obnoxiously loud, and you can definitely still hear the truck coming. I had it at the dealer yesterday to get a new key coded, and I could hear it loud and clear from the waiting room when they started it up in the service bay.

DC LTD 5.7 4x4
37x12.5x20 Trail Graps
Maganaflow

Last edited by nickstl77; 02-23-2011 at 11:23 AM.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 11:22 AM

The first week I did exhaust CID and bed cover

ProComp 6" Stage 2 kit,Skyjacker Leaf Springs with 1" block 35"ProComp A/T xtreme tires Pro Comp skid plate, painted Black. Recon rear tailgate light bar,Recon smoked headlights
#5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickstl77 View Post
I like the Super 40, the sound is really throaty and it really gives the truck a meaner personality. The one thing that bugs me about it, though, is the drone at certain highway speeds. In my case, I get drone between 65-69mph or so. If I go slower or faster, the sound quiets down nicely, but right in that 65-69 range is where a good portion of my work commute ends up since I'm kind of at the will of the surrounding traffic as far as how fast I can drive. The drone really bothered me at first, but to be honest I don't really notice it now, after having them on for about a month. If you don't do alot of long highway trips, it probably won't bother you much (if at all). We drove 6 hours last weekend, with my wife and our 2 kids. Nobody complained, but I tried to keep it out of the drone range as much as possible.

Also, if you go with the Super 40, unless you want it REALLY loud, I would go with the dual in/dual out single muffler rather than 2 single in/out mufflers. I wrestled with that decision for awhile before deciding to try the single muffler approach first. Glad I did, the single is definitely loud enough for me. It's not obnoxiously loud, and you can definitely still hear the truck coming. I had it at the dealer yesterday to get a new key coded, and I could hear it loud and clear from the waiting room when they started it up in the service bay.
Nice!! I want it to be heard but I don't wantit obnoxiously loud! How much did you pay for the setup?

Radiant Red Tundra Club member #21

2010 Tundra Crewmax
Debadged
3/1 Leveling kit
305/55/20 Nitto Terra
Black Rhino Rockwell
Stampede Fender Flares
Go Rhino Dominator ll Stepbars
PD'd Bumpers & Surround
Grillcraft MX Series Grill

#6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David2010 View Post
Nice!! I want it to be heard but I don't wantit obnoxiously loud! How much did you pay for the setup?
I paid $90 for the Muffler off Amazon, and then $60 for two Flowmaster 3.5 tips. A local shop did the install for $150, took them about an hour. I had them run it up and over the rear axle and duals out the back. I had the local Midas store quote me $450 for the install, and a Meineke store wanted $285. Worst part is, both of those places had teenage looking kids working in the shop, and I really didn't like the idea of some kid who could care less about workmanship installing my exhaust. If you can find a locally owned store rather than a chain, you will probably get a better deal and a better install. I checked the welds on mine and they are really well done, and they also used rubber on the hangers to prevent vibrations to the body/cab.

One thing I forgot, I would highly recommend getting an X pipe, it helps with drone and make it sound a little better too. I didnt get it done initially, but took it back the next week and they put one on for me. I used the Flowmaster Scavenger 2.5 X pipe, but it was a little pricey. I don't pretend to know much about exhaust, but I imagine you could find a lot cheaper X pipe that would serve just as well.

DC LTD 5.7 4x4
37x12.5x20 Trail Graps
Maganaflow
#7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 11:59 AM

i got a grille like a couple weeks after i had it. its taken me 2 years to get it how i have it now. ill post updated pix after this weekend. got a lot of new stuff on =]

[CENTER]

Las Vegas Tundras @ Facebook.com!!
#Follow me on Instagram @Ninja_Eds_Tundra
Ninja Eds Build Page!!

#8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:04 PM

Thanked 1,955 Times in 755 Posts
Garage
I got it on 2/28/09, first week dual exhaust and I waited a year before doing anything else.

Mods: Borla dual Exhaust, Westin Bull Bar, PIAA 520 driving lights, Painted badges, 18 inch Eagle rims Series 197 -11 offset. BHLM, tinted tails, third brakelight and tow mirror lenses. OHHHHH and DDM Tunning 8ks in Headlights, Fog Lights and in PIAA driving lights.

SUPERCHARGER!!
#9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:34 PM

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,489 Posts
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
2 days after purchase i had rockstars put on, later that week i got my mud flaps and steps, exhaust shortly after that, then a month later i got sway bar, intake, rbp grill, hids, and debagded it all moved very quickly lol

Gabe
Cute Raptor Bro
#10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Ed View Post
i got a grille like a couple weeks after i had it. its taken me 2 years to get it how i have it now. ill post updated pix after this weekend. got a lot of new stuff on =]
Cool, looking forward to seeing 'em.

DC LTD 5.7 4x4
37x12.5x20 Trail Graps
Maganaflow
#11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:42 PM
"The Antagonizer"
Premium Member

Thanked 20,672 Times in 7,547 Posts
Garage
Bought my 2008 Double Cab 5.7 Limited back in 2008, 2nd day I had it I had the rear cats. cut off and my Flowmaster Super 44's put on and blacked out the grille emblem, 2 months later got Limited 20's put on(selling soon), 3 months later got subs, speakers, radio, and amps put in along with window tint. 6 months later got my aFe Stage 2 cold air intake installed, Now I'm getting my wheels and tires put on this weekend and hopefully within the next 2 weeks getting color matched pocket flares, and some long tubes within the next month. I have way more stuff to do to the truck

"Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue The other ones got a rattlesnake with a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave"

https://www.facebook.com/Bigblacktundra
BTCM46
TWACCM113
#12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:49 PM

Bought mine in 2007.. So it's taken about 4 years to be what it is now. But the first mod was wheels, and then lowering kit a few weeks later. Then a year later stereo, then 6 months after that I changed wheels to 24s. Finally in 2010 the SC was put on. I spread them out over a good time but they are pretty big mods.. And totally worth it! Haha

RCSB Yota.

TRD Sport Memba #8 Black Mamba
"I never know if the dodges have hemi's... I dunno about you but I cant read the emblem from my rear view mirror....."
#13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:04 PM
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
Premium Member

Thanked 12,121 Times in 4,983 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
My truck is almost 4 years old and I still have mods sitting in boxes in the garage. It'll be a while till I am done modding.

All mod descriptions and pictures © 2007-2014 by Toxarch. They may be copied only for personal use and the mods may be done for non-profit only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORON #1
Do not mention his name here. He spits on us and talks crap and you're directing people to him from our site? I don't think so. I know you're neutral and that's fine, but please do not mention him here.
#14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 02:07 PM

Garage
I bout mine in December 2010 and so far I have

Tinted front two windows 50% (VA legal)
Window guards
VLED's interior lights and foot well lights
BHLM -T symbol color match
V-LED back up, reverse and Cargo lights
NFAB's
K&N drop in filter
Horn shields and carbon filter delete
Line-X bed liner
Stubby antenna
Brake Controller (in garage to be installed Sunday)

Soon to be modded:
Tow Mirrors (before Spring)
Back up Camera
Floor Mats
Deck Rail System
Info button

The only thing I am leaving alone is the lift, tires and wheels and that is so my old lady doesn't lose her lid about voiding the warranty. I plan to have everything else done by then though!

I'll post a new pic with all the added mods once the weather breaks in VA for more then one day!

Tow mirrors, stubby antenna, line-x bed, Nfabs, window guards, tinted windows, BHLM, Symbol, K&N drop in, carbon delete, P3, Vled foot wells, tail lights, cargo lights, back up lights and plates.
#15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 03:11 PM

lets see...
bought back in 2008 of feb.

Sung top
racing pedals
Volant intake
Dual super 40 turndowns
Tint
kmc hoss 20"
nitto terra grapplers
2.5" leveling kit
color matched door handles
blacked out toyota emblem
Blacked our mirror covers
smoked tail lights

Next
BHLM Afraid i will screw up my lights only reason holding me back
Im a poor college student so it takes some saving up for this stuff

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion