User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Engine block heater

Does toyota have an OEM block heater for the 4.7L engine? I have a friend that lives up in WI and parks his truck out side during the winter. Its just a RCLB work truck and he was searching for a block heater so i told him id ask around. Anyone know if toyota makes one or anyone have a part number?

I know they make one for the 5.7L and i think i'm gonna go and buy one for my truck because its only $59.00 and having a warm truck the second it turns on seems worth it to me, even though my truck is garage kept (most of the time) it still takes a while to heat up and the garage is aways freaking cold in the winter too.

Thanks guys!

Radiant Red Club Founder

BHLM | De-Badge | Color matched grille & door handles | Black TRD decals | aFe Power | Pro Comp
Toyo A/T II | BMF Wheels | Rigid Industries | 6000K HID | Full LED swap | Hypertech

Last edited by RadiantRedTRD; 12-10-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 03:53 AM

Thanked 7,891 Times in 3,863 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
bump, and also, to anyone with a block heater, if you go out and just start it is it actually warm or not?

just curious, i used to install webasto heaters that heated the coolant to certain temp, then would circulate it (remote or timer, mainly diesel apps..)

i have remote start, but will have the tundra parked for the majority of the winter, curious how well the block heater works, also what is the difference for actual energy cost or what is the amp or watt rating?

thx

I put the Laughter in Slaughter

KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...

2010 CM RW, blacked out, Led's,Hid's bhlm, 315/60r18 Grabber's, XD wheels, Aero turbine exhaust, more than meets the eye.

I like weapons.
I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 02:11 PM

(Thread Starter)
Im pretty sure i'm going to get one for my 5.7, The engine will be warm but its not going to be at operating temp. The truck will heat up much much faster though. As for the rest of your ??'s i cant really help because i have no idea.

The part number for the 5.7L/4.6L is: PU140-00902
The part number for the 4.7L is: CO140-03400

Link: Toyota Associated Products Program You still have to order the part through your dealer though.

Radiant Red Club Founder

BHLM | De-Badge | Color matched grille & door handles | Black TRD decals | aFe Power | Pro Comp
Toyo A/T II | BMF Wheels | Rigid Industries | 6000K HID | Full LED swap | Hypertech
#4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 04:01 PM
SP
Premium Member

Thanked 3,540 Times in 1,712 Posts
I had this BH in my 06 tacoma, I used it on a timer. I use to set it to come on 2 hours before I would get in the truck. it did not make a huge difference. but its a cool cheap mod. Though I do doubt that the tundras 5.7L block warms up faster than the smaller 4.0.

“Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell. And when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”
Ernest Hemingway
#5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 02:22 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP View Post
I had this BH in my 06 tacoma, I used it on a timer. I use to set it to come on 2 hours before I would get in the truck. it did not make a huge difference. but its a cool cheap mod. Though I do doubt that the tundras 5.7L block warms up faster than the smaller 4.0.
I just gotta see if i can get my dealer to order me one now...

Radiant Red Club Founder

#6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Premium Member

Waiting for your results. Even though I park in the carport, the winds get pretty fierce
#7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 06:05 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Waiting for your results. Even though I park in the carport, the winds get pretty fierce
I park in the garage and it still takes the engine a while to warm up, i figure for $59 its worth a shot.

I just gotta talk to my bud whose the service manager at my dealer and see if he can get two from toyota canada. Fingers crossed, i'll post the results in a week or two.

Radiant Red Club Founder

#8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 12:40 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantRedTRD View Post
I park in the garage and it still takes the engine a while to warm up, i figure for $59 its worth a shot.

I just gotta talk to my bud whose the service manager at my dealer and see if he can get two from toyota canada. Fingers crossed, i'll post the results in a week or two.
Good deal. I would have to reconfigure too many toys/tools in my garage to park in there. I hope they can get them. Cause if it works for you, I'm going to be making a call. $59 is a lot cheaper than I thought.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 01:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I read a post on here sometime ago that was posted buy some of our neighbors to the north in Canada. They were discussing a Canadian Toyota part number that they did not think was available in America. However, they thought it could be shipped to America.

I do not remember any talk of a warm truck. It was strictly to keep a block from freezing and warm enough to allow the engine to turn over in extreme conditions. I cant remember the post but I did save it on my computer that crashed.

I also have a remote start that will run for 10 min. does anyone know if and how to set it for a longer period of time? Mine is just getting warm at 10 min. and starting to melt ice. I would like to set it for 15 min.

2010 Crew Max Limited, Silver Sky Metallic, Snug Top XTR Shell with fold down front window and fishing rod holder, Low Range Off road 3/1 lift, BFGoodrich T/A KO 285-65-20, Factory DVD Navigation touch screen, Sun Roof, TRD rear sway bar, Weather Tech floor liners (Black), Weather Tech clear head lamp covers, 3M clear paint protection on hood, Toyota Bed mat, Air Lift 5000 with wireless remote, Tekonsha P3 brake controller,
#10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantRedTRD View Post

So do you need two of these, one for each side? I too am wondering if it really will make the truck heat up faster. It doesn't get that cold here, buts its already been down to 16 and I go to work at 3 AM right now.

2010 5.7 DC 4x4 LB W/T Injen CAI, Unichip, Nfab wheel to wheel 6 step, Bilstein HD shocks, Spintech Sportsman XL muffler, Jegs H-Pipe, Amsoil Signature 0w-30, Truck Covers USA Roll Cover,4.88 Nitro gears, Auburn Pro LSD, Supersprings SSA4, TRD sway bar, 275/70/18 Toyo Open Country A/T E rated.
#11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't understand why the cold weather package doesn't have this I proably going to get one.

10 Toyota Tundra TRD Rock Warrior His
09 Yamaha R1 Raven
His
08 VW Jetta GLI
Hers
2008 Yamaha Raptor 250
Hers
05 YAMAHA R6 Raven
His (track bike)
04 wr250f plated!
His
#12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 11:59 AM

My 5.7 came with a block heater on it already. I have only had to plug it in twice but it seems to heat up a bit faster. It doesn't start already warm but it will help it turn over on those bitter cold mornings where other trucks won't start at all.
#13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Premium Member

Well mine wouldn't start this morning at only 16 degrees. Have no idea what wind chill was. Put the battery on the charger. I neglected this last week, when I noticed the pull on the volts.
But still looking at these block heaters.
Winter isn't over for a while.
#14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 04:18 PM

Radiant,
Give Toyota of Dallas a call.That is where I bought one two years ago.
I looked at their web site but it is not as good as sparks is.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichR For This Useful Post:
RadiantRedTRD (12-13-2010)
#15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 09:33 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill3508 View Post
So do you need two of these, one for each side? I too am wondering if it really will make the truck heat up faster. It doesn't get that cold here, buts its already been down to 16 and I go to work at 3 AM right now.
No i was going to get one for my 5.7L and one for my friends 4.7L

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeR6 View Post
I don't understand why the cold weather package doesn't have this I proably going to get one.
I think it should too, all the tundra's sold in canada have one pre installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
Radiant,
Give Toyota of Dallas a call.That is where I bought one two years ago.
I looked at their web site but it is not as good as sparks is.
Thanks for the tip man! Ill check into it.

I still haven't talked to my dealer but you can get block heaters from http://www.trdparts4u.com They can get one for the 2000-2009 4.7L tundra also but the person i talked to said it would take around 6 weeks. Ones for the 5.7L are in stock.

Radiant Red Club Founder

The Following User Says Thank You to RadiantRedTRD For This Useful Post:
Lando (12-14-2010)

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion