Pink Antifreeze good for 100,000 miles??? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
TundraTalk.net now has a Photo Gallery available to all users. Upload your photos today!
Toyota Tundra Header Background Toyota Tundra Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

Go Back   TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Gameroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

TundraTalk.net is the premier Toyota Tundra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Pink Antifreeze good for 100,000 miles???

Hi guys and gals,

What do you think of the pink antifreeze installed in your 2004 or newer Tundra and it's 100,000 mile change interval. I am a Toyota technician and I have seen an unusually high number of water pump leaks with the Super Long Life Coolant (the pink stuff). Camry 4 cylinder models seem particularly affected. I have seen leaks as low as 15,000 miles on the odometer. I have also changed water pumps on probably half a dozen 5.7 liter Tundras under 30,000 miles. Anybody else noticed this? Myself, I flushed that stuff out as soon as I got my Tundra and installed a mixture of green coolant and distilled water. From there I will change it every 2 years of 30,000 miles. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Cochrab73; 10-01-2010 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Typing error
Cochrab73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

Bump for information from other owners. Does the "pink stuff" come stock in 2010's?

Mike57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, all new Toyotas (2004 and newer) come factory filled with the pink stuff. Before that, Toyota used Long Life Coolant which is red. It was no better in my opinion. I prefer the green stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cochrab73 For This Useful Post:
Yuckfou (10-01-2010)
Old 09-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

Is there any possibility of damaging seals by switching from Pink to Green after 20K miles?

I do not want any problems in the future from the Pink stuff and/or from switching to green.

Mike57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am a Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician and have been with the brand for 15 years. That being said, I have never seen a problem by switching. At the dealership, I use the green coolant on every service I do on 2003 and older vehicles. I only use the pink in the newer vehicles because of the advertised longer life of the pink stuff. This is just my opinion, and others may disagree. If you're interested in switching, flush the system completely and use distilled water with the new antifreeze. I can let you know where the engine block drains (for the coolant) are and advise you on how best to do it. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2010, 08:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
SP
Premium Member

Thanked 3,538 Times in 1,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrab73 View Post
I am a Toyota tachnician
I think you mean technician not tachnician and if you are a technician why do you ask us?

just asking why
“Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell. And when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”
Ernest Hemingway
SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP View Post
I think you mean technician not tachnician and if you are a technician why do you ask us?

just asking why
Sorry about the typo there. That's why I don't work in an office... Well, I just wondered if you have seen this or heard anybody else mention it. I only mentioned being a tachnician (I mean technician) to give a little background about myself, what I've seen, and why I feel the way that I do.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

Thanked 4,561 Times in 1,940 Posts
Garage
Have they made changes to that long life stuff since it was eating up the gaskets on gm engines? I think the good old fashioned green is the way to go. Also, beware that issued to cause some nasty reactions if you mixed in any green.....flush flush flush before switching.

I'd love to know where to drain the block and the proper procedure for burping it.

2012 Black SR5 DC 5.7 - TRD SS Steps - 20" Ultra Mammoth Wheels - Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/55-20 - CST Spindles - +2 Shackles - Rear 5100s -
Tint - Ventvisors - Sport Shifter - Line X Premium - Access Loredo Tonneau - White Dash LEDs - BHLM - Oracle Halos - Dirty Deeds BAMuffler SS Exhaust....
Details in "My Garage"

Frequent Yamaha AR230 Jetboat Attachment!
Big Shasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shasta View Post
Have they made changes to that long life stuff since it was eating up the gaskets on gm engines? I think the good old fashioned green is the way to go. Also, beware that issued to cause some nasty reactions if you mixed in any green.....flush flush flush before switching.

I'd love to know where to drain the block and the proper procedure for burping it.
Was getting ready to chime in with the same info. My '02 S-10 came with the pink stuff. It needed a new radiator last year and when I requested the pink stuff my mechanic told me that they were now off of the pink and back on the green b/c the pink was causing leaks. I've been running green for a year now and it feels great

2009 Crewmax Limited 4x4- 5.7
Volant CAI / Stebel Big Daddy Horns / Line-X Bed Liner / Extang Trifecta Tonneau / TRD T-Handle Shifter / Tinted Front Windows / Toyota 20" Carved Alloys / Hankook Dynapro ATMs / iPod Interface Cable / Fog Light Mod / Interior LEDs

SalsaRedPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shasta View Post

Do you have the 5.7 liter engine? In either case be it 5.7 or 4.6, you should be able to access the block drains with a 10mm swivel socket (or regular socket plus a universal joint) and a very long extension. Look in from the rear of both front wheel wells. You should be able to see the drain on each side of the engine directly in the side of the engine block. There is a 10mm bolt in a fixture with a small tube coming out of it. Loosening (you don't have to remove the 10mm plug) should allow the coolant to drain from the engine block. Don't forget the radiator drain. You need to make sure the heater temp is set on high before you begin to make sure the heater core can be flushed as well. From there, flush her out with the garden hose until the water drains out clear. It can take a while to get all the pink stuff out. I have used green coolant mixed with distilled water for 40,000 miles (I changed it again at 30,000 mi) and all is well. If you do this, be warned that it can be a pain to purge the air out of the cooling system after you refill it. If anyone is going to do this, let me know and I will try to give you some pointers on purging the system. This green coolant thing is my opinion and is not endorsed by Toyota in any way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cochrab73 For This Useful Post:
KeoNgot (09-18-2012)
Old 10-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

I too have seen way too many water pump failures with these so-called 100k coolants.

I drain/refill my radiator every two years and recommend that everyone does the same. With a shortened interval, there is no need for flushes/additives, garden hose technique, or other crazy coolant shenanigans......

Toyota pink is a great antifreeze and will keep your cooling system clean. Problems are that pump lube doesn't last indefinitely, and casting sand and metal debris will constantly be washed into and through your system. The only way to get rid of the debris is to install a filter, or change the antifreeze out regularly.

Peak Global and Zerex Asian are good substitutes for Toyota Pink and about 1/3 the cost. Both are available premixed 50:50. Peak Global is also available full strength and when you mix your own, always use distilled/deionized water.

I don't bother with, use, or even recommend plain ol' green antifreeze anymore. Too easy to be negligent with coolant and green doesn't tolerate negligence.

The problem with long life coolants is that automakers haven't installed antifreeze filters yet. Until they do, its a 2yr/30k max for the antifreeze.
deadrx7conv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deadrx7conv For This Useful Post:
PDX2010DC (10-03-2010)
Old 10-01-2010, 09:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Do not lump the Toyota pink stuff with the Dex-Cool GM crap. Two different animals.

2010 Tundra DC 4.6L 4x4 (SOLD)
Hootbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

No mention of Dexcool here. Not sure what you're talking about.
deadrx7conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
"Resident Liberal"
Premium Member

Thanked 16,876 Times in 6,330 Posts
My tundra was just in and the pink coolant was low. I have 27K on my 08

If you are a fan of fat girls, Dave Matthews CD's are better than a ham on a fishing pole.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

2008 RCSB 4.7 TRD Offroad 4x4
OkSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootbro View Post
Do not lump the Toyota pink stuff with the Dex-Cool GM crap. Two different animals.
Absolutely correct. Didn't the Dex-Cool tend to clog up heater cores, etc? The Toyota pink coolant (SLLC) is much better in that regard. It stays very clean, even up to the advertised 100,000 mile life. My only issue with the stuff is that it seems to cause leaks (particularly water pumps).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion