Burning Oil normal??? - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 01:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,022
Thanks: 14
Thanked 985 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
At least take it into your Yota dealer and even if they cannot find anything, get it documented for any future cases of oil leaking after 3/36K. I highly doubt it could burn the oil, but maybe it is leaking very slowly? Put some white paper all under the engine area in your garage, etc. where you park it everynight and you might only see a few drips per week, but it does add up over months to show that kind of loss. I'm very particular about my oil level and if I notice any of my vehicles burning/dripping oil, I get concerned, but luckily none besides my former 2007 RAV4 V6 had an oil leakage/burning ever. I would of highly considered keeping the spunky RAV4 V6 except the darn motor and other major components had major problems that once fixed under warranty, I unloaded it to keep my sanity. I would say not normal either for leakage or burning at all, but dealer will tell you it is normal to burn oil up to about 1 qt. per oil change which is bogus if you ask me.
cookiedough1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 411
Thanks: 30
Thanked 59 Times in 34 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2006 RAV4 burns oil. It goes through about 1 liter per 2,500 kilometers (1 qt. per 1,500 miles).

BUT...

Toyota covers their a$$ by stating right in the owners manual that oil consumption of up to 1 Liter per 1,000 Km (1 qt. per 600 miles) is considered acceptable. I think that is utterly ridiculous. Why bother with oil changes then?

There's no indication as to where its going. No blue smoke at startup, no oil leaks or drips... nothing. Dealer did a couple of consumptions reports but because of the "acceptable" clause in the manual, can do nothing. I even had them change the PCV valve at my expense to see if it made a difference. Nope.

So, I just dump oil into it and don't give a sh*t anymore. The only thing that concerns me is that starting next year, I have to get that Drive Clean test done every 2 years. I'm not sure how the oil consumption will affect the emissions testing.

Last edited by seadragon; 09-04-2010 at 11:28 AM.
seadragon is offline  
#18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,022
Thanks: 14
Thanked 985 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
that is totally B.S. Seadragon in my book that your older design RAV4 burns that much oil. Heck, my former life 1978 Buick Skylark 3.8L V6 never burned anymore than that being 15 years old and 175K although she sure did spew out blew smoke back in the day at every start up. I didn't really care back then being young and free transportation except having to pour 1/2 qt. of oil in every month or so. I'd be dumping that 06' RAV4 in an instant if Yota wouldn't be standing behind that crap.
cookiedough1 is offline  
#19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Moderator
 
Mickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Jax
Posts: 13,470
Thanks: 2,293
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,595 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It shouldn't burn no quart every 1,500 miles. that's ludicrous even if the book states that. They banked on no one reading that and not telling anyone that every 1,500 miles you have to put in a quart of oil. Ooopppss! sorry for not communicating this before you bought your Rav 4. No excuse for this behavoir. No customer in their right mind would buy a vehicle if they have to do this all the time. My question to that person you talked with would be "If this was your vehicle would you accept that?" If he says yes then ask him where is his Rav4? Then you can tell him he's a liar.

MIDNIGHT RIDER



THIS TRUCK
CAN TAKE
A HIT
AND KEEP
ON TICKIN'
Mickey is offline  
#20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Hootbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 296
Thanks: 38
Thanked 156 Times in 103 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I guess I will take the unpopular but probable stance that Toyota will not do nothing for you with losing a 1/2 a quart every 1800 miles or so (that is about what 5 fill ups is for me).

I would check/change the PCV valve for good measure but unless you got an actual dynamic leaking past a seal, Toyota will not do anything as that is an acceptable loss limit for most engines.



2014 Silverado DC 4.3L 4x4 (POS SOLD)
2010 Tundra DC 4.6L 4x4 (SOLD)
Hootbro is offline  
#21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 06:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 411
Thanks: 30
Thanked 59 Times in 34 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootbro View Post
...losing a 1/2 a quart every 1800 miles...Toyota will not do anything as that is an acceptable loss limit for most engines.
But the crazy thing is that Toyota considers up to 1 quart every 600 miles to be acceptable! That's just, well, unacceptable! Other than the oil filter, there's no point in doing oil changes since its getting a constant supply of fresh oil.
seadragon is offline  
#22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast , Texas
Posts: 59
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Get rid of the truck if it is unacceptable to you.

Dirty "OLE" Man
2010 DC, 5.7, Tow/package.
Dirty "OLE" Man is offline  
#23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 411
Thanks: 30
Thanked 59 Times in 34 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty "OLE" Man View Post
Get rid of the truck if it is unacceptable to you.
Nope. I'm getting my money's worth out of this thing. I've decided to just drive it into the ground rather than take on another car payment. It's paid off and the only thing its costing me is gas, insurance and of course oil. I'm past caring about the oil consumption on my RAV. I bought some large jugs of oil and just keep topping it up. It's part of my routine now.

But, I think its hilarious that Toyota says that much oil consumption is okay in their books. Think about it... 1 quart per 600 miles. At that rate and on a 5,000 mile service schedule, you're putting about 8 quarts in it between service visits. That's just insane.

Again, my RAV is not going through as much as that. Its about 1 quart per 1,500 miles.

LOL.

Last edited by seadragon; 09-09-2010 at 09:13 AM.
seadragon is offline  
#24 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Hootbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 296
Thanks: 38
Thanked 156 Times in 103 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadragon View Post
Nope. I'm getting my money's worth out of this thing. I've decided to just drive it into the ground rather than take on another car payment. It's paid off and the only thing its costing me is gas, insurance and of course oil. I'm past caring about the oil consumption on my RAV. I bought some large jugs of oil and just keep topping it up. It's part of my routine now.

But, I think its hilarious that Toyota says that much oil consumption is okay in their books. Think about it... 1 quart per 600 miles. At that rate and on a 5,000 mile service schedule, you're putting about 8 quarts in it between service visits. That's just insane.

Again, my RAV is not going through as much as that. Its about 1 quart per 1,500 miles.

LOL.
My wife bought a new 1998 Corolla that was also a oil user. Something like 1 quart every 500 miles or so. Like you, the oil topping off was a weekly regime you just got use to and accepted as part of the vehicle like filling up with gas.

We still got over 250K on it and was still going strong before it was rear ended and totaled. I would still recommend you actually do a scheduled oil and filter change every time as contaminants still settle in the bottom of the oil pan as part of the combustion process. Those actually need to be removed with a oil change drain.



2014 Silverado DC 4.3L 4x4 (POS SOLD)
2010 Tundra DC 4.6L 4x4 (SOLD)
Hootbro is offline  
#25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 411
Thanks: 30
Thanked 59 Times in 34 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootbro View Post
My wife bought a new 1998 Corolla that was also a oil user. Something like 1 quart every 500 miles or so. Like you, the oil topping off was a weekly regime you just got use to and accepted as part of the vehicle like filling up with gas.

We still got over 250K on it and was still going strong before it was rear ended and totaled. I would still recommend you actually do a scheduled oil and filter change every time as contaminants still settle in the bottom of the oil pan as part of the combustion process. Those actually need to be removed with a oil change drain.
Oh, yes, I should clarify. I have been and will continue to bring it in for its scheduled service as usual. I really don't care about the oil thing anymore. I have a feeling that the RAV will last me a long time too which is why I'm keeping it.
seadragon is offline  
#26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 01:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,022
Thanks: 14
Thanked 985 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I would be ape _hit all over Yota's butt if any new car made by Yota or the big 3 or Honda went thru 1 qt. every 1500-2000 miles or so. In today's modern engines, there is no reason this should be happening and I would file lemon law or magnusson moss act to get rid of any new vehicle bought going thru anything over 1/2 qt. per oil change (5K miles). It is not right in today's techy vehicles and should not be happening no matter who says it is right, I know better. I had a 1978 Buick skylark go thru about 1/2 qt. per 2-3 weeks of driving say 800 miles or so but this car didn't start burning oil until well past 125,000 miles and was carburated, not fuel injected, and not in the best shape anymore, but when newer under 100K, never burned oil and it shouldn't have.
cookiedough1 is offline  
#27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 06:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 411
Thanks: 30
Thanked 59 Times in 34 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiedough1 View Post
I would be ape _hit all over Yota's butt if any new car made by Yota or the big 3 or Honda went thru 1 qt. every 1500-2000 miles or so. In today's modern engines, there is no reason this should be happening and I would file lemon law or magnusson moss act to get rid of any new vehicle bought going thru anything over 1/2 qt. per oil change (5K miles). It is not right in today's techy vehicles and should not be happening no matter who says it is right, I know better. I had a 1978 Buick skylark go thru about 1/2 qt. per 2-3 weeks of driving say 800 miles or so but this car didn't start burning oil until well past 125,000 miles and was carburated, not fuel injected, and not in the best shape anymore, but when newer under 100K, never burned oil and it shouldn't have.
I understand what you're saying Cookiedough. But to be honest, between the issues with my ex-Tundra and this RAV4, I'm just tired of going back to the dealer all the time for different things. I never went 5K miles without bringing these vehicles back in for something wrong. Plus, we don't have lemon laws in Canada like the US does. I'm tired of fighting the quality issues and have essentially given up and stopped worrying about it. It's just easier on the blood pressure.

Last edited by seadragon; 09-10-2010 at 06:54 AM.
seadragon is offline  
#28 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,022
Thanks: 14
Thanked 985 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Time then to try another car mfg. brand since you obviously gotten 2 lemons. Toyota quality is good, but not as good as it should be or was in the past and no one can dispute that in my opinion. I'm sure others will chime in and dispute my fact and tell me it is my opinion only, but what I know is pretty sure of myself on this one.
cookiedough1 is offline  
#29 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 411
Thanks: 30
Thanked 59 Times in 34 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiedough1 View Post
Time then to try another car mfg. brand since you obviously gotten 2 lemons. Toyota quality is good, but not as good as it should be or was in the past and no one can dispute that in my opinion. I'm sure others will chime in and dispute my fact and tell me it is my opinion only, but what I know is pretty sure of myself on this one.
Well, as you may recall, I traded in my Tundra and got a 2010 F150 about 3 months ago. The new truck has only been back to the dealer once and that was for its 5,000 mile maintenance. I think part of the problem is that my '07 Tundra and '06 RAV were/are first year models of a redesign. All I know is that I'm never going to buy a first year vehicle again. I know that many others have had no issues, but this is just my experience.

I was talking with a buddy of mine who is a manager at a Honda plant and he told me there are definitely first year bugs and running changes that they deal with. Parts that are just slightly too big or small and don't quite fit "just right", changes to electrical harnesses, revisions to assembly procedures etc. He said that by second year they have usually been refined and worked out.
seadragon is offline  
#30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,022
Thanks: 14
Thanked 985 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
agree seadragon on the first year quality issues. I know for a fact on my former 2007 tundra ALL driver door panels when closed would rub plastic onto plastic of the side pillar of the dash since NO clearance between the two and would drive me crazy. You couldn't even slide a piece of paper between the 2 parts touching when door closed upfront by side of dash. I complained and dealer even told me after I showed them all 7-8 tundras on their lot having the same problem that after their call to tech assistance, it is getting fixed at the plant. All thanks to us customers who buy 1st year new production run vehicles. As far as the 2006 RAV4 being a new design, correct me if I am wrong but the changeover to the bigger, more powerful 3.5L V6 engine in the RAV4 was in 2007, not 2006 correct? Of course, I had issues with engine leaking oil, etc. on the newly designed 3.5L V6 on my former 2007 RAV4. It seems like we both had similar vehicle years and our share of former problems with each.
cookiedough1 is offline  
Reply

  TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome