Scared About 10,000 mile Oil Change! - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Z15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The biggest myth is the often-recommended 3,000-mile / three-month oil change. Unfortunately, there are market forces that have a vested interest in convincing vehicle owners to change their oil more often than necessary. The legal prey of these market forces have become convinced that they are purchasing "cheap insurance" or "peace of mind" by changing their oil more often than necessary. Complicating things is the fact that doing oil changes is one of the few do-it-yourself maintenance tasks that is still within the ability of the backyard mechanic to perform. The 3000 mile oil change interval has been pounded into people's heads for decades. It had a scientific basis when engines used non-multi-weight, non-detergent oil. It no longer has any scientific basis, but it is still being promoted by certain entities, most notably the oil change industry in the United States. This myth is also sometimes known as the "Cheap Insurance Myth."

Synthetic oils withstand higher temperatures before breaking down, and have more base stock and less viscosity modifiers.

The American Petroleum Institute states that more than 1 billion gallons of motor oil are sold each year in the U.S. Of this, about 185 million gallons of used motor oil are disposed of improperly each year – dumped onto the ground, tossed into the trash or poured down the drain, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

If you are so concerned, just buy the best oil you can find. Research it, don't fall for all the advertising hype on TV. Find a oil that will flat out tell you how long their oil is good for, there are a few out there, AMSOIL, Mobil 1 Extended Performance. All to often people cut corners where they should never cut corners.

I have never changed my oil before 10,000 miles in over 20 yrs, once a year and unlimited miles.

Mike

Last edited by Z15; 06-25-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 11:35 AM

Thanked 2,126 Times in 831 Posts
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyn8 View Post
Nothing is different, they just feel that after studying it the synthetic oil is good for 10k. This comes about because the 4.6l is 0-20 only. But on the 5.7 it comes about, in my mind at least, that when using 0-20 over 5-20 you get a reported (by Toyota) .2-.4 mpg increase. The 10k interval is the only way to justify the extra expense of the synthetic oil as saving money over conventional with the fuel mileage increase since it wont pay for itself in 5k.
So is it official then? Is Toyota now recommending 10K oil changes for all 5.7L engines in addition to the 4.6L? What about the maintenance light...can it be reprogrammed to come on at 10K instead of 5K as it does now?

#18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Banned

If you change your own oil, doing 5w20 every 5k is cheaper than 0w20 every 10k. Everyone can post their opinions, but oil analysis is the definitive answer. I'll bet both oils could go longer, because manufacturers use the safe number for all rather than accounting for individual driving habits.
#19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 01:25 PM

Thanked 4,988 Times in 2,079 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatto View Post
I think you are all crazy as hell!

I think that if changing oil at 3,000 miles is good more often is better so, I change my oil every 500 miles.
Apparently everybody knew I was joking.

Since I've had my Tundra I have changed the oil and oil filter at 25,000 miles.
Why? Because Amsoil rates both for that service life.

But I decided to experiment........

Let me know if you can read the sample report.

HORIZON FLUID ANALYSIS REPORT

Bottom left under Lube Time. This oil has gone 35,000 miles.

Center page, Fluid Analysis Report. Oil is suitable for continued use.

I use and talk about, but don't sell Amsoil.

2006 Tundra replaced a
98 Dakota 3.9 automatic, long bed.
Retired with broken A/C, July 2008.
623,000 miles.
On original engine and transmission.

+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Truth does not need to be 'balanced' and it ain't caused by voting or consensus or polls or yelling louder or silencing someone.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.
#20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatto View Post
Apparently everybody knew I was joking.

Since I've had my Tundra I have changed the oil and oil filter at 25,000 miles.
Why? Because Amsoil rates both for that service life.

But I decided to experiment........

Let me know if you can read the sample report.

HORIZON FLUID ANALYSIS REPORT

Bottom left under Lube Time. This oil has gone 35,000 miles.

Center page, Fluid Analysis Report. Oil is suitable for continued use.
What motor do you have? and do you change the filter at intervals or just with the oil? Great report!
#21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 05:15 PM

Oil link:
AMSOIL - Signature Series 0W-30 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (SSO)

Filter link:
AMSOIL - AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter (EaO)

2006 Tundra replaced a
623,000 miles.

+Truth does not need to be 'balanced' and it ain't caused by voting or consensus or polls or yelling louder or silencing someone.
#22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 11:31 AM

I began using Amsoil in my diesel F250 and did the Blacstone analysis at every 10K mile change. It always came back with good results and the lab report indicated I could go 12K. I never went beyond 10K beccause diesels are tougher on motor oil than gas engines.

I bought the '08 Tundra 5.7DC and immediately switched from the factory oil to Amsoil 0-20 at the 3000 mile mark. I change every 10K until I traded after 80K miles for the '10 Tundra in late April. Guess who ended up with my '08...one of the guys in the Toyota service department! That engine was perfect in every way. It never burned a drop of oil between changes.

My '10 goes to the dealer for free oil & filters every 5K for the first 25K miles. After I reach 30K miles I will switch to Amsoil 0-20. You definately get a little better milage in cold weather with the synthetic 0-20. The Tundra is a great truck in every way...towing, crusing and off road (mild lift and 33" tires). I just turned 12K miles and the overall average mpg is 19.8 which is awesome for a PU with almost 400 hp. Not much towing yet and I expect that the winter temps will drop the average down to what I got with my '08. Two years and 80K miles I averaged 18 mpg including winter snowmobile trips with a 20' box trailer. I drive almost 1000 miles a week for business and I do try for the best milage I can get. Rarely do I get on the gas but it is still amazing to me when I need to pass or get outa dodge quickly...the freakin' thing really goes.
#23 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 01:36 PM

Below, the link to: Mike Shatto's 623,000 mile 1998 Dodge Dakota. In Allpar.
Mike Shatto?s 623,000-mile 1998 Dodge Dakota

The swirly pattern in the cylinder, put there during manufacture, is a sign that the motor oil did it's assigned duties of preventing friction and wear, to perfection.

By the way, I ran the Dakota far, far longer between oil changes than the Tundra.

So, oilmpg, I think you ought to believe your oil analysis when it says; "oil suitable for continued use" and at least run the oil to the manufacturer recommended service life.

The point, lads, is that you all can run longer than you have been.

2006 Tundra replaced a
623,000 miles.

Last edited by shatto; 06-27-2010 at 01:40 PM.
#24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 12:28 AM

I know of a fellow who buys a new truck and changes the oil using synthetic after
the break in period and drives it 250,000 miles without changing the oil again just
changing the filter at regular 5000 mile intervals and then trades it for a new one.
Has never had any issues and has done it with several trucks all Ford F series.
He has added oil as needed but has not been much over the 250,000 miles.

2013 Ram 1500 3.6L Pentastar 8 spd
2008 Tundra DCSB SR5 5.7L (sold)[/SIGPIC]
#25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoBill View Post
I know of a fellow who buys a new truck and changes the oil using synthetic after
the break in period and drives it 250,000 miles without changing the oil again just
changing the filter at regular 5000 mile intervals and then trades it for a new one.
Has never had any issues and has done it with several trucks all Ford F series.
He has added oil as needed but has not been much over the 250,000 miles.
I doubt his engine is worth a hoot if only 1 synthetic oil change in 250,000 miles even changing just the oil filter every 5K. If people got the money and want to use 100% synthetic ow-20, go for it. For me, every 5K with conventional motor oil, quaker state or valvoline, or other good quality conventional oil on sale with toyota oil filter is what I do. If I did use synthetics, I would personally stretch the oil changes to every 8K or so but before 10K just to be safe or at the most once per year if under 10K per year. My cycle and 3 ATV's all only get 1 oil and oil filter change per year using synthetic Amsoil, but then again once per year is fine since none are over 5K mileage per year.
#26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 08:41 PM

My buddy in Europe always laughs at me when i talk about oil changes at 3 to 5 K.. Over there they go 10 to 15K between oil changes.. Wonder what the difference between European and US spec. vehicles is?

Steve
2010 Tundra DC, Super White, SR5, 10,600# Tow Package
Access Tonneau Cover
Dee Zee Running Boards
Nitto Crosstek

#27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 08:46 PM

My DC came with free (lol) oil changes every 5K for the first 25K.

Steve
2010 Tundra DC, Super White, SR5, 10,600# Tow Package
Access Tonneau Cover
Dee Zee Running Boards
Nitto Crosstek

#28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
For the price of gas to go up to a dealer 32 miles away and 32 back, that is about 11 bucks in gas money and I can do an oil change for 13 bucks, so not worth it for dealer to screw it up and overtighten the oil filter canister or the oil drain plug or break the plastic clips in front taking off the skid plate. Can you tell I had the dealer do all of these 3 things on my former 2007 tundra before so I like to do it myself so if I screw it up, I will make it right instead of brushing it under the rug like dealers do.
#29 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 10:16 AM

Thanked 1,371 Times in 767 Posts
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson9 View Post
My buddy in Europe always laughs at me when i talk about oil changes at 3 to 5 K.. Over there they go 10 to 15K between oil changes.. Wonder what the difference between European and US spec. vehicles is?
It's not the engines, it's the oil
#30 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyn8 View Post
It's not the engines, it's the oil
Later this year, GM is going to be the first North American manufacturer to require its own Dexos global-spec oil instead of ISLAC GF-x/API Sy. Audi/VW, BMW and MB have done this for years, combined with an oil monitoring system unlike Toyota's dumb fixed mileage system.

BMW Long Life dino oils (Chevron Delo 400 was approved) for in my 1992 325i were good for up to 10,000 miles or one year and the current BMW Long Life synthetics up to 15,000 or two years. The operative phrase here is up to. The on-board system accounts for frequent cold starts and high rpm operation.

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion