Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Engine Revving Sounds

17K views 63 replies 16 participants last post by  Bob Dobalina 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I have a new 5.7L V8 Tundra. It has about 1500 miles on it at this point. The other day I went to downshift to slow down on a hill and noticed the engine revs sounded much higher than I was used to, almost like a smaller 4 cylinder car. The revs were at around 1700rpm. Now I can hear the engine revving at a higher pitch when I accelerate. It's almost like I have two engines and can hear two rev pitches. I hear the higher one from the engine compartment and a lower one through my exhaust. I'm not sure if I'm hypersensitive to it now and it's just normal or if something has changed. I think I would have heard it before this week since I've been driving the car a few weeks. Any input?

#51 ·
I am able to hear it better with the windows up, but I can hear it both ways.
no idea without a video or a sound clip
Does it sound like vroom vroom or brrraaavrooooom Vroom brrrraaavroom?
Maybe when you downshifted, the rpms jumped, pushing a bunch of exhaust gas down the pipe and when it hit a constriction, the pipe separated (Maybe due to a loose clamp) and now you have an exhaust leak.
This could eventually cause a check engine light.
Yea that sounds like broom broom broom.
And a raspy tapping at idle
Yea similar to squeezing a rubber ducky.
dude take it from me...step away from the bottle and get some help I'll call in our resident drunk @fka MBD he can help

that or your engine is bipolar and skipped a dose of meds, @OkSlim can chime in he is our pill expert, if he is busy @Powertechn2 take a lot of pills also

in case that doesn't work, we have a support group for those less inclined calling in @Trailmoose @tomscigars @KoBear & @Lee's rig this dude needs your intervention, the special kind only you guys can supply
I'd fuking kill...

For an audio clip of the issue. It's really hard to diagnose at this point.
fuk you man I am not drunk, you can go pound sand
What an a-hole calling you DRUNK!
Why are you calling in the Piney Patrol?
You really think a 12 backward steps program is necessary?
that guy is always bothering me, I have reported him before but the mods just ignore me. I bet he bothers others I can't be the only one
We need that tundraman dude to chime in and tell everyone to buy an F150 or this thread sucks.
The nerve of some people.
nah lets call in the dude that gave away his nuts earlier today @ledzeppelinriff
We need that tundraman dude to chime in on that zeppelinriff dudes thread and tell him to buy an F150. Also a sound clip of the OP's issue would be helpful.
I think the issue is a two stroke motorcycle is following the OP around, and at some point, another two stroke motorcycle joins him. It's trolling, but in person.
Oh please, oh please, oh please! I havent banned anybody today yet.
I haven't traded my Tundra in yet lol. Btw the F150 is a giant Ford shitbox in my opinion. Ford has never produced a reliable vehicle in it's entire history.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I also vape. And drink when not on pain meds...

Vaping is like prepping for the robot take-over. Gotta learn well how to suck off a robot :lol5:
I shove cylindrical shaped rolls of tobacco in my mouth, sometimes aggressively. Cigars are very relaxing. These skills can be used for the robot takeover thing too.
Well this just got awkward.
To you maybe. I've been waiting for the right situation to bring out the fisting robot.
Def need a sound clip! Have you tried pushing the pedal down more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bet @Clint would know what the noise is
This guy is way ahead of you.

https://youtu.be/ZItT5ZAQsDY
That car was asking for it.
Good times.
No, it's ok, I always blow it out. >:D Less awkward?

Poor guy, needed a 4 cylinder car. Feel bad for him. :lol5:
I would only start to worry when it starts sounding like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_79gsiKktSc
Did it involve anal beads soaked in vodka?
Like literally? Or he bought a ford and @OkSlim killed him?
No he really died azxhole in a plane crash while taking a crap and posting on here. I believe it was in one of the mpg threads, there are so many i dont know which one. It was tragic, he gave us a play by play of the agony he was in. He was mentioning people using the @ symbol. His last words were scrambled but it appears he was trying to say something about a throttle body spacer and then he stopped typing.

Rip brother @kpcwr
You may have damaged the flux capacitor when downshifting, I'd get that looked at.

Apple sucks
If the flux capacitor runs on trash, do you need to find ecoboost fords to follow around and eat parts like pacman?
Wok accident, dead

Sipping pints of ale out the window sill
Nice play on words.
No, he was saying he was at wok collecting wokmans comp for the wok injury.
I always get this mixed up did his family own a dry cleaners or Chinese take out place?

Sipping pints of ale out the window sill
What difference does it make? He's dead.
So he became Kung Pao chicken?
You know, as long as some of you moe rons have been around here you should know better than to crap in some new guy's thread.

You all know that the first thing to do is to direct him to the forum's excellent search features, I am pretty sure this isn't the first time someone has heard sounds like that. Hell, y'all didn't even check with the OP to see if his truch was a Pro or not.

I am ashamed of you all.

Reactions: Powertechn2
#4 ·
no idea without a video or a sound clip

Reactions: Powertechn2
#6 ·
Maybe when you downshifted, the rpms jumped, pushing a bunch of exhaust gas down the pipe and when it hit a constriction, the pipe separated (Maybe due to a loose clamp) and now you have an exhaust leak.
This could eventually cause a check engine light.

#10 ·
dude take it from me...step away from the bottle and get some help I'll call in our resident drunk @fka MBD he can help

that or your engine is bipolar and skipped a dose of meds, @OkSlim can chime in he is our pill expert, if he is busy @Powertechn2 take a lot of pills also

in case that doesn't work, we have a support group for those less inclined calling in @Trailmoose @tomscigars @KoBear & @Lee's rig this dude needs your intervention, the special kind only you guys can supply

#18 ·
nah lets call in the dude that gave away his nuts earlier today @ledzeppelinriff

#29 ·
I bet @Clint would know what the noise is

#30 ·
#41 ·
No he really died azxhole in a plane crash while taking a crap and posting on here. I believe it was in one of the mpg threads, there are so many i dont know which one. It was tragic, he gave us a play by play of the agony he was in. He was mentioning people using the @ symbol. His last words were scrambled but it appears he was trying to say something about a throttle body spacer and then he stopped typing.

Rip brother @kpcwr

#54 · (Edited)
#55 ·
Jesus this took a turn. I'm just going to take it in to the dealer next week. I figure I'm over-analyzing it and everything is fine, but if it's not they can fix it on their dime. It is a pro, probably should have mentioned that due to the exhaust. Thanks for the advice when it was given, and thanks for the quality entertainment. Can't believe this is already 4 pages long. Keep er going!

#56 ·
HA!!!!! I knew it!!!!! Damn Pros always causing problems. I'm glad they decided to stop making them, probably a good decision since they are such a steaming pile of excrement.

#57 ·
now if you had said it was a Pro then this thread would have been done long ago, you need and exhaust sync and calibration pretty common with the Pro's any dealer can perform

Reactions: Wacked
#64 ·
Reactions: Wacked
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.