Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Protection Premium Pakage option

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Highgrade 
#1 · (Edited)
Protection Premium Package option

Hello everyone,

I have almost agreed on the price of a'17 4x4 CM Limited trim and just want to make sure which options/accessories are worth the extra cost. Specifically, does anyone have any experience with the Vehicle Protection Premium Package? Most of it sounds like fluff however "they" tell me the plastic type wrap which prevents chipping on the hood and other areas is worth it. Roughly I think the package adds $550 (msrp) to the cost.

Thank you in advance.

#2 ·
is it a factory option or a dealer add on? I personally will not pay for any dealer add on, ever, not under any circumstances (unless its an @RIjon original signature dong shifter)

I have walked away from a few new vehicles over the years because of this.

it sounds like a dealer add on to me...

Reactions: tundra4metoo
#3 ·
I believe it is a dealer add-on, which I agree is typically a high mark-up rip-off. That being said, I spoke with a Tundra owner yesterday who said that after having the package on his current Tundra he will always have it on his future vehicles. I figured it was at least worth throwing it out to you guys for an extra opinion.

#4 ·
Nope. all fluff. I don't get any of that crap anymore. Don't even get the extended warranty because these trucks are made good and I usually turn them around pretty quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: tundra4metoo
#5 ·
Ok. thanks. I'll pass on the protection package. It sounds like most people try to get out the door with as little as possible extra stuff and add everything else after the fact. The only exception to this seems to be Spray-in liner or Step bars in which people could go either way.

#6 ·
Have you looked at the front of the truck? there is nothing to even clear bra except for the painted part below the headlights. Its ALL grille, which is plastic and the bumper. The front of the hood that would take a rock is plastic too.

Don't spend the money. Save it for wheels or a lift or something else.

#7 ·
I think they only put the protective film on the front part of the hood and a couple other places. Not worth the $550 MSRP, but I have read in the forum where some people have had it done aftermarket on some other chip-prone areas. Somehow these Houston roads have a way of damaging almost everything on a vehicle (windshields/hoods/etc), unlike any other place I have lived. Absolutely seems to be worse here than even in New Jersey/NYC, where we lived before.

#9 ·
Work the deal to your benefit. I get them right to he number I want to pay and back off and tell them to throw in tint, AW mats,remote start and bed liners to seal the deal. I've done this with 9 new vehicles in he last 8 years. Just come prepared and let them know you'll go to another dealership you've been working with. Right before you walk away they'll cave in and accept your request. Also before you seal the deal talk to the sales manager directly and let them know you can get an equal or better deal elsewhere. Depending on your down payment and finance options they might be able to shave some more off the cost of the truck or give you free labor for add on's or give them to you at their cost. If they don't want your business Walk away.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.